Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (1/29/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (1/29/2009)

sometimes it's fun having a good ol' mud-slinging match with someone who is absolutely sure they are right. And sometimes that's even me!

We can arrange one of those if you want. All part of the service, no extra charge. 😉

Oh yeah! And mud is the just the start of the slinging. Stones, pointed sticks & sharpened steel will follow. No issues there.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jack Corbett (1/29/2009)

All right, I've been essentially offline for 3 days and there are close to 100 posts on this thread AND IT has become self-aware!

My question is, was The Thread the millionth member?

Is RBarryYoung The Thread's father? Has it gone over to the Dark Side?

I'm pretty sure it Was Jeff's child... or maybe Jeff's & Barry's together... I think it had a pork chop.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Bruce W Cassidy (1/29/2009)

Jeff Moden (1/29/2009)

would you post the URL for the thread you quoted me on, please?

"The Post"

[font="Verdana"]For the URL of the thread... just look up. Yep, at the top of your browser. Where it says "Address". No, without the double quotes. No, that's your e-mail. You want the browser. No, wrong browser window. The one where you were reading this message. What do you mean you weren't reading the message?[/font]

Heh... Oh, THAT one. 😉

A DBA should be able to answer ALL of those questions without having to look them up on a forum... that's what BOL and Google are for. I didn't say anything about the DBA having to know the answers off the top of his/her head. Even on an interview, a good DBA will always have the correct answer... "I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know where to find the answer." 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Bruce W Cassidy (1/29/2009)

Greg Edwards (1/29/2009)

I'd say that depends on if you got the correct results.:w00t:

[font="Verdana"]Yup. I added a cross join as well. And the full outer joins are on three common table expressions. Fun! :cool:[/font]

No worries as long as you haven't added a multi-statement table valued user defined function... especially a wizbang one.

• Grant Fritchey (1/29/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (1/29/2009)

Greg Edwards (1/29/2009)

I'd say that depends on if you got the correct results.:w00t:

[font="Verdana"]Yup. I added a cross join as well. And the full outer joins are on three common table expressions. Fun! :cool:[/font]

No worries as long as you haven't added a multi-statement table valued user defined function... especially a wizbang one.

But, geez, putting it all in that wizbang multi-statement TVF made it so dynamic!

• You must be new in this galaxy.

• Bring in the clones!

Jack Corbett (1/29/2009)

All right, I've been essentially offline for 3 days and there are close to 100 posts on this thread AND IT has become self-aware!

I'm pretty sure it Was Jeff's child... or maybe Jeff's & Barry's together... I think it had a pork chop.

Sorry, Jeff gets all the credit for the pork chop themes, well before I came along too. I just like to eat them. 🙂 And catch them in my mouth: :w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Do I get a prize for reading every post on The Thread before posting?

...and the answer to what you were thinking is "probably about 5 hours spread over 3 days". 🙂

Seriously though :w00t: having read most of the referenced threads I think that several people here would be in line for sainthood for the way they perisist in trying to help people...

Derek

• Derek Dongray (1/30/2009)

...and the answer to what you were thinking is "probably about 5 hours spread over 3 days". 🙂

And one of the (many) things I learned from The Thread is that it's a lot quicker to read a series of posts if I change forum settings to 50 posts per page! 🙂

Derek

Jack Corbett (1/29/2009)

Scares me this, it does.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• They're no good to me dead.

• Grant Fritchey (1/30/2009)

They're no good to me dead.

Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (1/30/2009)

Grant Fritchey (1/30/2009)

They're no good to me dead.

Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.

Beware the wrath of the Fetts!

• This one:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic645585-146-1.aspx

Deserves some sort of "Hall of Fame" entry.

I have to admit to a strong desire to tell the guy to step away from the database and keep his hands in plain view.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 1,096 through 1,110 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply