Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (1/30/2009)

This one:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic645585-146-1.aspx

Deserves some sort of "Hall of Fame" entry.

I have to admit to a strong desire to tell the guy to step away from the database and keep his hands in plain view.

Agree with you, I do. Scared that someone thought a valid programming technique SQL Injection is.

• Hey! Now that's what we need. A hall of fame for stupid posts, (and another one for the most creative replies to these posts).

The Redneck DBA

• Derek Dongray (1/30/2009)

Do I get a prize for reading every post on The Thread before posting?

...and the answer to what you were thinking is "probably about 5 hours spread over 3 days". πŸ™‚

Seriously though :w00t: having read most of the referenced threads I think that several people here would be in line for sainthood for the way they perisist in trying to help people...

We recognize Our worshippers and worthy accolytes and will grant them Our protection.

Jason Shadonix (1/30/2009)

Hey! Now that's what we need. A hall of fame for stupid posts, (and another one for the most creative replies to these posts).

We are the Hall of Infamy and We keep a record of those who fail to meet Our standards.

GSquared (1/30/2009)

This one:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic645585-146-1.aspx

Deserves some sort of "Hall of Fame" entry.

I have to admit to a strong desire to tell the guy to step away from the database and keep his hands in plain view.

We have no comment about Performance Enhancing Injections.

• You're all evil, I just can't get enough of it. πŸ˜€

Max

• Lynn Pettis (1/30/2009)

Agree with you, I do. Scared that someone thought a valid programming technique SQL Injection is.

Depends on what line of "work" you're in I suppose.

Max

• On another SQL web board that I, ahem, frequent, they have a thread titled "Twit List" which is kind of in the same theme as this. Obviously, based on GSquared's latest post, the thread just keeps on growing (as does this one). There are just so many uninformed people out there who haven't a clue, bless their hearts. Makes those of us who know what we're doing look even better, don't ya' think?

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Sounds like a lot of fun but, consider this, would you like it if your post and name showed up on a "Twit List". Bad enough they show up on this thread. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

Sounds like a lot of fun but, consider this, would you like it if your post and name showed up on a "Twit List". Bad enough they show up on this thread. πŸ˜‰

Yeah, I have been having nightmares about that, almost fearful to post.... πŸ˜›

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

Sounds like a lot of fun but, consider this, would you like it if your post and name showed up on a "Twit List". Bad enough they show up on this thread. πŸ˜‰

Quite right. Everybody has to start somewhere, you don't become proficient overnight.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

I don't know...I'm twisted enough to be proud of things like that when they happen to me!

For example:

In gym class basketball in high school (which was about 100 years and 100 pounds ago) I held the record for the most points scored for the wrong team.

The Redneck DBA

• I'm not saying I condone the name (it is humorous though) but I'm sure earlier in my career I've posted soemthing that would qualify me as an "inductee". Just making a point that there are many variations on the theme here on a variety of other boards, regardless of the name of the thread.

• Jason Shadonix (1/30/2009)

Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

I don't know...I'm twisted enough to be proud of things like that when they happen to me!

For example:

In gym class basketball in high school (which was about 100 years and 100 pounds ago) I held the record for the most points scored for the wrong team.

Sort of along the lines above, but not me. When my oldest was a freshman in high school she was the goalkeeper for her JV squad. She was selected by her teammates as their MVP (Recorded 399 shots against her, Recorded 300 SAVES; she kept them in games through sure force of will!). Her teams Best Defender was also their most prolific scorer, unfortunately all 4 of her goals were own goals.

• tosscrosby (1/30/2009)

..."Twit List"...

isn't that a song by L7?

Max

• Uh-Oh, Gail's got a light-saber (SP?)..........time for the DARK SIDE to beware.

• tosscrosby (1/30/2009)

Uh-Oh, Gail's got a light-saber (SP?)..........time for the DARK SIDE to beware.

New haircut, too... although she might try using a little face wax. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 1,111 through 1,125 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply