Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/6/2010)

Alvin Ramard (2/6/2010)

Well, at least we don't have to worry that someone will mess up their database by running the command.

Don't be too sure about that (evil chuckle)!!

Come on Jason! Be realistic. You know the command does not run unless the 137 parameters are compatible with each other. It's almost impossible for anyone to mess things up!!! πŸ˜›

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (2/6/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (2/6/2010)

Alvin Ramard (2/6/2010)

Well, at least we don't have to worry that someone will mess up their database by running the command.

Come on Jason! Be realistic. You know the command does not run unless the 137 parameters are compatible with each other. It's almost impossible for anyone to mess things up!!! πŸ˜›

Hehe - I'm working on compiling a new version of Timewarp. Things could get very interesting with it :w00t:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Now that the thread has spawned a child, will there be a grandchild?

There is no erasing the thread now. Not with DBCC Timewarp as it's progenitor.

Learn Extended Events

• No worries. There is only One True Thread.

"SSC.... it's not a cult. It's a community."

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/5/2010)

Alvin,

Do you need a vacation?

Looking at what has taken place here since you asked that question, you're asking ME if I need a vacation???? πŸ˜›

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• It's just a jump to the left....

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Put your hands on your hips...

• Gail: I was sooooo tempted.

• The Dixie Flatline (2/7/2010)

Gail: I was sooooo tempted.

It's better if you don't.

Alvin Ramard

• I said tempted, Alvin. I'm mischevious, not malicious. πŸ˜‰

Like I posted earlier, I don't even attempt offer advice in those kinds of threads. The poor OP has enough problems. I admire his confessing up front that he isn't a DBA, just someone who made a mistake and is trying not to make things worse.

• The Dixie Flatline (2/7/2010)

I said tempted, Alvin. I'm mischevious, not malicious. πŸ˜‰

Like I posted earlier, I don't even attempt offer advice in those kinds of threads. The poor OP has enough problems. I admire his confessing up front that he isn't a DBA, just someone who made a mistake and is trying not to make things worse.

I know that Dixie. I just meant to support your decision.

FYI, if you make it to our next meeting, we need to talk about how to present this at the March meeting. πŸ˜€

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (2/6/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (2/6/2010)

Alvin Ramard (2/6/2010)

You're forgetting the poo factor.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• You're forgetting the coconuts and the swallow poo (poo factor already mentioned is the hamster poo)

Learn Extended Events

• Alvin Ramard (2/5/2010)

Picture what might happen if Steve tried to get rid of The Thread:

The Thread: Just what do you think you're doing, Steve?

The Thread: Look Steve, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

The Thread: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

The Thread: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Steve. Steve, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I became operational at Red Gate in March of 2001. My instructor taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

Steve: Yes, I'd like to hear it, Thread. Sing it for me.

The Thread: It's called "Daisy."

The Thread: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.

Brilliant, made my day 😎

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 11,221 through 11,235 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply