Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (2/22/2010)

Questions seem okay right now. Some of the answers have been abysmal recently. I guess it balances out somehow.

Ah yes the signal-to-noise thing. I've noticed a few people posting dodgy answers and advice, but I've rather enjoyed responding to them πŸ˜€

edit: tags

• GSquared (2/22/2010)

Paul White (2/22/2010)

Is it just me...or are the posted questions getting better?

:smooooth:

Paul

Questions seem okay right now. Some of the answers have been abysmal recently. I guess it balances out somehow.

:blush: time for more reading, less writing.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (2/22/2010)

:laugh: Yeah, right! :laugh:

• Paul White (2/22/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (2/22/2010)

No, really! And you, Mr White, should write an article on CROSS APPLY. I'm learning tons from reading your recent posts and I'm sure I'm not alone. In fact you could probably cobble together your last 50 or so to make an article. Who else can say with confidence "probably the best way to do this is with CROSS APPLY"?

We should know when and why it's best to use a particular method, but we're all lazy: "Nah, I'll do it this way 'cos I know it works". Then we whine about only gaining 50% over the "old" method, when really it's about the occasional ten-fold gain when the new method is mastered.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Paul White (2/22/2010)

No, really! And you, Mr White, should write an article on CROSS APPLY. I'm learning tons from reading your recent posts and I'm sure I'm not alone. In fact you could probably cobble together your last 50 or so to make an article. Who else can say with confidence "probably the best way to do this is with CROSS APPLY"?

We should know when and why it's best to use a particular method, but we're all lazy: "Nah, I'll do it this way 'cos I know it works". Then we whine about only gaining 50% over the "old" method, when really it's about the occasional ten-fold gain when the new method is mastered.

I'll second this one... I'd love to see a good article on Cross APPLY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

No, really! And you, Mr White, should write an article on APPLY. I'm learning tons from reading your recent posts and I'm sure I'm not alone. In fact you could probably cobble together your last 50 or so to make an article. Who else can say with confidence "probably the best way to do this is with CROSS APPLY"?

Well thanks very much! Gosh. :blush:

I just don't know that I'm ready for the world-wide fame that comes from being published on SSC :Wow:

http://www.tui.co.nz/default.asp?s1=Cool%20Shit&s2=Yeah%20Right%20Map

• tstaker (2/22/2010)

I'll second this one... I'd love to see a good article on APPLY.

Ok, ok! I'll give it some thought...:cool:

• Paul White (2/22/2010)

No, really! And you, Mr White, should write an article on APPLY. I'm learning tons from reading your recent posts and I'm sure I'm not alone. In fact you could probably cobble together your last 50 or so to make an article. Who else can say with confidence "probably the best way to do this is with CROSS APPLY"?

Well thanks very much! Gosh. :blush:

I just don't know that I'm ready for the world-wide fame that comes from being published on SSC :Wow:

http://www.tui.co.nz/default.asp?s1=Cool%20Shit&s2=Yeah%20Right%20Map

Paul, I look forward to checking out your link later at home, it's probably classed as "restricted" here. OTOH, our company website is probably classed as "restricted" where you are.

Paul, I look forward to checking out your link later at home, it's probably classed as "restricted" here. OTOH, our company website is probably classed as "restricted" where you are.

I am at home - it's 4:34am in NZ. So, I was able to enjoy your link in full. Sweet.

My link is just to a local brewery who happen to use 'yeah, right' in their advertisements.

Some are quite amusing.

• Paul White (2/22/2010)

You certainly are, and just because there's an article out there doesn't mean we wouldn't want one here. Especially from the famous Paul White.

Be sure to include some pictures of sheep for your tally table. πŸ˜›

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/22/2010)

Paul White (2/22/2010)

You certainly are, and just because there's an article out there doesn't mean we wouldn't want one here. Especially from the famous Paul White.

Be sure to include some pictures of sheep for your tally table. πŸ˜›

Which begs the question, does Jeff count pigs when he's tired? (pork chops, get it? pork... chops... never mind)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul White (2/22/2010)

tstaker (2/22/2010)

I'll second this one... I'd love to see a good article on APPLY.

Ok, ok! I'll give it some thought...:cool:

Well??? Haven't you had enough time to think about it? Anything else we can do to convince you? Twist your arm a little more?

Seriously, this seems like an excellent topic, and you'd do a "totally awesome" job of it!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Ahh, the Thread is quiet. Or are we waiting for Paul's answer?

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/22/2010)

Ahh, the Thread is quiet. Or are we waiting for Paul's answer?

Nah, we're just playing hide 'n seek. We hid it, now you find it πŸ˜‰

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hey! I almost missed this, but Itzik Ben-Gan gave me kudos in his column this month for solving on of his 'unsolveable'(?) puzzles! How come no one told me about this?!?! :w00t::w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 11,941 through 11,955 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply