Are the posted questions getting worse?

• RBarryYoung (2/22/2010)

Hey! I almost missed this, but Itzik Ben-Gan gave me kudos in his column this month for solving on of his 'unsolveable'(?) puzzles! How come no one told me about this?!?! :w00t::w00t:

Congrats Barry. Well done.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Hey! I almost missed this, but Itzik Ben-Gan gave me kudos in his column this month for solving on of his 'unsolveable'(?) puzzles! How come no one told me about this?!?! :w00t::w00t:

Ummm - Kudos?

I will have to go read it now.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Congrats. Maybe you should be writing that column...:-)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/22/2010)

You certainly are, and just because there's an article out there doesn't mean we wouldn't want one here. Especially from the famous Paul White.

Be sure to include some pictures of sheep for your tally table. 😛

Aha! Ho ho ho. Sheep - I get it. :laugh: 🙂 ;-):satisfied: :blink: :doze:

Our visitors from the UK fly home tomorrow night, so I'll have a bit more time after that. I'll knock something about APPLY together and get ask for some comments and stuff on The Thread before I submit it.

On a separate subject, I'm finishing one concerning Sequence Tables. I'm just trying to anticipate the main objections. Aside from concurrency concerns, does anyone have any comments? PM me if you feel inclined - I'd appreciate anything at this stage, feel free to go hard on being the Devil's Advocate 😎

Paul

Well done. I haven't been following the series (even though I subscribe - no time!) so I can't say anything more effusive at this stage. I'll definitely take a look tonight. You're getting to be quite famous, it seems :w00t:

• Paul White (2/22/2010)

RBarryYoung (2/22/2010)

Well done. I haven't been following the series (even though I subscribe - no time!) so I can't say anything more effusive at this stage. I'll definitely take a look tonight. You're getting to be quite famous, it seems :w00t:

With him becoming famous, we're starting the push for him to be MVP.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/22/2010)

Well I don't know exactly what the criteria are, but Barry strikes me as a strong candidate from what I've gathered about the award, illness notwithstanding. I know technical proficiency isn't really key to the award, but it would be nice to replace some of the, er, less technically gifted current MVPs with people like Barry.[/contentious]

• Paul White (2/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (2/22/2010)

Well I don't know exactly what the criteria are, but Barry strikes me as a strong candidate from what I've gathered about the award, illness notwithstanding. I know technical proficiency isn't really key to the award, but it would be nice to replace some of the, er, less technically gifted current MVPs with people like Barry.[/contentious]

No argument from me. Based on thread history, most would support the same notion.

Learn Extended Events

• Paul White (2/22/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (2/22/2010)

You certainly are, and just because there's an article out there doesn't mean we wouldn't want one here. Especially from the famous Paul White.

Be sure to include some pictures of sheep for your tally table. 😛

Aha! Ho ho ho. Sheep - I get it. :laugh: 🙂 ;-):satisfied: :blink: :doze:

Our visitors from the UK fly home tomorrow night, so I'll have a bit more time after that. I'll knock something about APPLY together and get ask for some comments and stuff on The Thread before I submit it.

On a separate subject, I'm finishing one concerning Sequence Tables. I'm just trying to anticipate the main objections. Aside from concurrency concerns, does anyone have any comments? PM me if you feel inclined - I'd appreciate anything at this stage, feel free to go hard on being the Devil's Advocate 😎

Paul

Send it to me... we had a sequence table that was responsible for an average of 640 deadlocks a day before we fixed it. I'd love to review what you have on the subject.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (2/22/2010)

Send it to me... we had a sequence table that was responsible for an average of 640 deadlocks a day before we fixed it. I'd love to review what you have on the subject.

🙂 I was hoping you'd be interested 🙂

Will do. Be brutal 😀

Crap! It's subscribers-only! I can't read it, but congrats Barry!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• GSquared (2/22/2010)

Paul White (2/22/2010)

Is it just me...or are the posted questions getting better?

:smooooth:

Paul

Questions seem okay right now. Some of the answers have been abysmal recently. I guess it balances out somehow.

Hmm! But what about this[/url]? Where to start?

Maybe we need a 'Are the posted scripts getting worse?' thread too?

• nigel. (2/23/2010)

Hmm! But what about this[/url]? Where to start? Maybe we need a 'Are the posted scripts getting worse?' thread too?

That hurt my eyes. Quite topical though - he might need a Sequence Table :satisfied:

Amazingly poor script. I don't have the heart to comment in the discussion for it right now.

• Paul White (2/23/2010)

nigel. (2/23/2010)

Hmm! But what about this[/url]? Where to start? Maybe we need a 'Are the posted scripts getting worse?' thread too?

That hurt my eyes. Quite topical though - he might need a Sequence Table :satisfied:

Amazingly poor script. I don't have the heart to comment in the discussion for it right now.

I saw something here recently on this very topic, but can't find it now. Anyone?

Ok so I've read this fully now, and had a bit of a look at the solution. It's very clear, logical, and generates a pretty fast plan too. Very good indeed. Well done!

Even so, I can't help thinking that this is another case where the T-SQL hammer is the wrong tool for the job. I have a CLR saw in my toolkit that just might cut this particular board more efficiently: after all, the requirement is just a slightly funky aggregate, isn't it?

I'm going to have a quick look to see if it is possible to improve on the T-SQL solution using a 2008 User-Defined Aggregate. In principle, it should be possible to produce a plan with just one index scan (rather than two), no joins, and a single stream aggregate.

That's not to take anything away from a superb T-SQL solution, Barry, it's just got me thinking.

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 11,956 through 11,970 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply