Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Chris Morris (2/6/2009)

Grant Fritchey (2/6/2009)

Oh there are individuals, but the culture seems different. The Air Force bases were always so clean & orderly & mannered where as, except for boot camp & training bases, Navy bases are messy & chaotic. The people seemed to reflect the surroundings. The airmen I was around were all clean-cut & mostly nice. Squids... well... let's just say the caricatures have a very solid foundation in reality.

Squids? Haven't heard this before - is it the same as Grunt, or our equivalent Squaddie?

Yep. Squids, I was told, come from an old cartoon that had a sailor squid called Squidly Didly. Other naval nicknames, Salts, Limeys. Then you get specific, Snipes, Nukes (a sub-set of snipes), Bubble-heads, glowy-bubble heads... there are more.

Nicknames for the Marines, mostly used by squids, pickles, jar-heads, gators... I worked on a gator-freighter for a while. That's a ship that carries Marines into combat.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (2/6/2009)

Lynn Pettis (2/6/2009)

Being prior enlisted in the Air Force, I guess it depends on who you hang out around. I've met a few that would turn a Marine "Air Force Blue".

Oh there are individuals, but the culture seems different. The Air Force bases were always so clean & orderly & mannered where as, except for boot camp & training bases, Navy bases are messy & chaotic. The people seemed to reflect the surroundings. The airmen I was around were all clean-cut & mostly nice. Squids... well... let's just say the caricatures have a very solid foundation in reality.

True. I'm quite familiar with the Navy, my brother was a nuke in the Navy for 8 years. He threatened to break both my legs every 6 months if I enlisted in the Navy, which is why I went Country Club. I understand the mentality, since a Naval Vessel is ready to go to war in 4 minutes (Carrier, brother was on the Enterprise) or less from the moment they divorce themselves of shore power, and that my brother stated that the most dangerous place in peace time is a Man-of-War (in 6 years on the Enterprise he buried 40 friends due to accidents, etc).

I did submarines and short time on an LST. The subs were basically very safe (as long as you don't think too long about where you were), but they were at war the moment they cleared the pier. In the time I was in, I was only aware of two deaths at the local base off of subs and that was when one was putting to sea and lost two guys overboard. Operationally, not much goes wrong (knock wood).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (2/6/2009)

Chris Morris (2/6/2009)

Squids? Haven't heard this before - is it the same as Grunt, or our equivalent Squaddie?

Yep. Squids, I was told, come from an old cartoon that had a sailor squid called Squidly Didly. Other naval nicknames, Salts, Limeys. Then you get specific, Snipes, Nukes (a sub-set of snipes), Bubble-heads, glowy-bubble heads... there are more.

Nicknames for the Marines, mostly used by squids, pickles, jar-heads, gators... I worked on a gator-freighter for a while. That's a ship that carries Marines into combat.

FYI, Grunt isn't a "nice" term...

Ground

Replacement

Usually

Not

Trainable

• I forgot, swabbie, deck ape, blue jacket, airedale, a-ganger (nasty job).

• Grant Fritchey (2/6/2009)

I forgot, swabbie, deck ape, blue jacket, airedale, a-ganger (nasty job).

The more you remind me of what my brother said about the Navy, the more I'm glad I went Country Club, I mean Air Force. 😉

• Lynn Pettis (2/6/2009)

I forgot, swabbie, deck ape, blue jacket, airedale, a-ganger (nasty job).

The more you remind me of what my brother said about the Navy, the more I'm glad I went Country Club, I mean Air Force. 😉

Zoomie!

Actually, I didn't mind the service until I got in the yards. Taking readings on a guage for weeks on end when you can see the flippin' wires hanging out the back of it... It wears on you a bit. I stood shut-down roving watch in an engine room that didn't have an engine, for months. I got real sick of the Navy real quick in that environment.

• So did my brother when the Enterprise went into dry dock. It was supposed to be for 6 months, ended up being 3 years. Then, when he should have gotten shore duty, he got "frozen" on the Enterprise since he was the last in his division on the ship to still have had experience at sea due to others rotating out.

• [font="Verdana"]There are sailors in the Navy? Who knew... 😛

One of my tutors (who also became a friend, because we were both nuts of the Acorn technology, which you would now know as the ARM in its various forms) was a Navy boy. It's true what they say about men in uniform.

Sadly our Air Force is rather depleted. Anyone wanna lend us some aircraft?[/font]

• [font="Verdana"]Dammit, all these years I have been missing out...

Replacing SQL Server Massages

😀

[/font]

• I am in for the Massages as well... 😀

-Roy

• At least I don't have to rely on SQL Server for those, my wife is a Massage Therapist.

• I think this thread will never die.

Massages..... sheesh 😀

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/9/2009)

I think this thread will never die.

Massages..... sheesh 😀

Ah... typos. Gotta love the ones with real words so spell checker won't catch them, keeps us all amused. That's what you need a good proofreader for and even then, you can still get some doozies.

-- Kit

• Man o Man... I loved the answers given by Paul... :hehe:

-Roy

• I may have to try some of those on Joseph (*URGENT*URGENT*URGENT*) Tran.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 15 posts - 1,201 through 1,215 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply