Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Is this guy with the SQL Injection thread pulling our feet?

How could the Network guys just say that it is an external IP and not give anymore details? Something is not right about that whole thread I think. Maybe I wrong.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/10/2009)

Is this guy with the SQL Injection thread pulling our feet?

How could the Network guys just say that it is an external IP and not give anymore details? Something is not right about that whole thread I think. Maybe I wrong.

Or, the network guy(s) have no explanation as to how their network was hacked and are trying to hide the issue.

• Roy Ernest (2/9/2009)

Man o Man... I loved the answers given by Paul... :hehe:

I can't believe I just read all 122 pages of this thread! 🙂

Anyway, just wanted to point out a pattern I noticed with the OP of the thread referenced above:

12/04/2008: Interview questions

12/23/2008: uninstallation problem, looks like the OP passed the interview and was offered a job

1/29/2009: mirroring configuration problem

2/09/2009: interview questions plz any one reply me

Someone's looking for a job again!

• It would be funny if the interviewer was to reply to the interview question.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• binko (2/10/2009)

I understand. Makes you think you've accomplished something! 😀 At least I did when I finaly got to the end of the thread. (Took me about 4 days of intermittant reading.)

12/23/2008: uninstallation problem, looks like the OP passed the interview and was offered a job

By the way, the two above referenced URLs are the same thread. The "uninstallation problem" URL is the one I think needs to be modified. 🙂

-- Kit

• Kit G (2/10/2009)

binko (2/10/2009)

I understand. Makes you think you've accomplished something! 😀 At least I did when I finaly got to the end of the thread. (Took me about 4 days of intermittant reading.)

By the way, the two above referenced URLs are the same thread. The "uninstallation problem" URL is the one I think needs to be modified. 🙂

Pull up either one, click on the person's username, select "Find all posts by this user". You'll get everything from him. Looks like three interviews and a bunch of "I can't do my job" stuff.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (2/10/2009)

Pull up either one, click on the person's username, select "Find all posts by this user". You'll get everything from him. Looks like three interviews and a bunch of "I can't do my job" stuff.

Thanks. Yeah, it looks like. Glad I'm not in that position. I don't mind learning on the job, but it seems to me that being a DBA requires at least some basic understanding of how these magical databases work. Of course, if the job he applied for was what he had the skillsets for and then they threw him into a DBA position, then I could understand the questions. Unfortunately, that's not what it sounds like.

-- Kit

• This is why I think interview questions should just go unanswered, even deleted. There's no telling how much damage is done to companies that are foolish enough to hire these people.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (2/10/2009)

This is why I think interview questions should just go unanswered, even deleted. There's no telling how much damage is done to companies that are foolish enough to hire these people.

If it looks like an interview question, but I'm not certain, I'll challenge it. "This looks like an interview/test/homework question. Is it? If not, please clarify what you have so far to solve this."

If it's blatantly an interview question, like this guy, I'll answer with, "The answer is hire someone who knows these things to handle it for you."

Actually, I don't have a problem with helping someone on their homework, I just want to know that I'm doing that, and to limit it to pointing them in the right direction for their own research.

I have a major problem with helping someone in an interview or test, because, as you mentioned, I could be contributing to defrauding a company and all of its employees.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I understand. Makes you think you've accomplished something! 😀 At least I did when I finally got to the end of the thread. (Took me about 4 days of intermittant reading.)

Yes it does. One thing that I can't believe is patience of some of the members. I wonder if other professionals ( say , network administrators, programmers, lawyers, etc ) are as willing to help people as database community seems to be. Please don't get me wrong, this isn't an attempt to diss other professions. I was just curious if one potentially could get the same amount of help/personal time invested into research by members of a none-db community.

thanks, I edited the link.

• Bob Hovious (2/10/2009)

This is why I think interview questions should just go unanswered, even deleted. There's no telling how much damage is done to companies that are foolish enough to hire these people.

Sometimes those are the same companies that pile other duties on their dba's, because , "you know, ya'll are programmers and stuff - how 'bout making changes to this assembly application?".

• binko (2/10/2009)

I understand. Makes you think you've accomplished something! 😀 At least I did when I finally got to the end of the thread. (Took me about 4 days of intermittant reading.)

Yes it does. One thing that I can't believe is patience of some of the members. I wonder if other professionals ( say , network administrators, programmers, lawyers, etc ) are as willing to help people as database community seems to be. Please don't get me wrong, this isn't an attempt to diss other professions. I was just curious if one potentially could get the same amount of help/personal time invested into research by members of a none-db community.

thanks, I edited the link.

I was thinking about this, and I think it actually comes down to what I keep trying to instill in my kids. Treat others the way you want to be treated, even if they aren't. Perhaps what I am seeing in what I, myself, do here as an embodiment of that philosophy playing itself out in my own life. I can tell you, I wasn't always so patient and tolerant. I also think it has to do with my extracirricular activities as well as a soccer official for youth and high school soccer.

• I like to help. Basically when I am helping someone, I am helping myself as well. But I dont want to give an answer to an interview question (Basic question) so that someone can get a Job.

By doing that a real DBA might be loosing a chance to get a Job.

-Roy

• Not only that Roy, but I've seen questions on here that read something like this:

"I've just deleted some huge, important tables and I haven't been doing backups. How do I get these tables back?"

Forget the fact that the person who has been neglecting backups deserves to lose his job. He may have crippled a business, forcing them to layoff employees or go entirely out of business. To a lesser extent this also applies to the people who are "only" creating the code. Information that is inaccurate can lead to poor decisions, failure to meet contractual obligations, lawsuits, etc etc.

Bottom line: Anyone who helps an incompetent get a job hurts the organization which relies on their competence.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• [font="Verdana"]I suddenly got this mental image of a similar board for GPs, and the questions that get posted...

"Urgent! Urgent! Urgent! I have someone in my office who is sneezing! What should I prescribe?"

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 1,216 through 1,230 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply