Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (3/2/2010)

Jeff Moden (3/2/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (3/2/2010)

"How about them Bears?" 🙂

Is it just me, or are the posters who appear to be the students, the ones who have the nerve to post their homework here, the worst offenders when it comes to rudeness and unwillingness to cooperate?

Heh... that's because most students leave home while they still think they know it all. 😛

Which makes it harder on those of us who really do. 😉

At least, more annoying. 😉

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Well this was interesting. Had someone ask for their account to be closed here since the questions haven't been good the last month and the quality of the discussions has gone down.

Hope that's not a trend.

BWAA-HAA!!!! Was it Tony? :-P;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/2/2010)

Well this was interesting. Had someone ask for their account to be closed here since the questions haven't been good the last month and the quality of the discussions has gone down.

Hope that's not a trend.

Why on Earth would they actually want the account closing - rather than just unsubscribing from everything and just forgetting about it - or are they just trying to make a point?

After all, how many of the 1.2 million registered users use the site on a regular basis? I'm in the top 900 for posting to forums and I hardly ever make an appearance.

And if they don't like the discussions then its easy enough to start a thread. Stopping a thread however is another matter...

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/2/2010)

Well this was interesting. Had someone ask for their account to be closed here since the questions haven't been good the last month and the quality of the discussions has gone down. Hope that's not a trend.

Odd. If anything, I was thinking that the quality of questions and, in particular, the responses and discussions, had improved markedly just recently. I wonder if the person in question was referring to the forums or articles? There have been some mixed articles of late...

Oh, and hey, Steve, do you really hand-convert Word articles to use that horrible XStandard thing? I just tried it with my two articles. Four hours later, and more crashes than I care to count, I have developed a distinct dislike for it.

Paul

• Alvin Ramard (3/1/2010)

Most of the talk that I heard about medal standings referred to total medal count, not the number of gold medal. I think it would make more sense if they awarded points for each medal, let's say 3 points for gold, 2 for silver, and 1 for bronze. It's interesting that doing so for 2010 would not change the standings. See the results below.

Gold Silver Bronze Count Points

US 9 15 13 37 70

Germany 10 13 7 30 63

Canada 14 7 5 26 61

I don't care who got the most medals and how people want to rank the countries. I'm just happy that Canada did as well as they did, especially since they set a new record for the most gold medals won by a single country in a single winter olympic. The previous record was 13, set by the USSR in 1986 I believe.

There's no question that the US and Germany, along with numerous other countries, need to be congratulated too. Congratulations!!!

Edit: I forgot to add that Canada had not won a single gold medal in the previous games that were held in Canada.

I know I'm a wee bit late with this reply, but if the weightings are different, say 10 for gold, 4 for silver, 1 for bronze, of course we'd be ahead here in Canada. 🙂 If it wasn't for the sheer volume of silvers for the U.S., we would have been ahead in the above table.

Edit: original post had 100 points for gold, LOL...a tad excessive.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (3/3/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/1/2010)

Most of the talk that I heard about medal standings referred to total medal count, not the number of gold medal. I think it would make more sense if they awarded points for each medal, let's say 3 points for gold, 2 for silver, and 1 for bronze. It's interesting that doing so for 2010 would not change the standings. See the results below.

US 9 15 13 37 70

Germany 10 13 7 30 63

Canada 14 7 5 26 61

I don't care who got the most medals and how people want to rank the countries. I'm just happy that Canada did as well as they did, especially since they set a new record for the most gold medals won by a single country in a single winter olympic. The previous record was 13, set by the USSR in 1986 I believe.

There's no question that the US and Germany, along with numerous other countries, need to be congratulated too. Congratulations!!!

Edit: I forgot to add that Canada had not won a single gold medal in the previous games that were held in Canada.

I know I'm a wee bit late with this reply, but if the weightings are different, say 100 for gold, 10 for silver, 1 for bronze, of course we'd be ahead here in Canada. 🙂

We would have been on top even with 10-5-1.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Does anyone have time to go into detail on this one?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic875858-338-1.aspx

Probably a variant of parameter sniffing, from all that's been said. The procs and exec plans have been made available, but only for today (management doesn't want them on public forum forever) and I am not going to have chance today.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Alvin Ramard (3/3/2010)

GabyYYZ (3/3/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/1/2010)

US 9 15 13 37 70

Germany 10 13 7 30 63

Canada 14 7 5 26 61

I know I'm a wee bit late with this reply, but if the weightings are different, say 100 for gold, 10 for silver, 1 for bronze, of course we'd be ahead here in Canada. 🙂

Heh heh...edited my previous post with more realistic points, 100 may have been a bit much. But I heard, all around the world, it's based on gold first, and any ties go down the list, totals be damned. But I'm thinking, the best way to measure is per capita of country's population. Using your original points:

U.S.: 70 / 308792000 * 1000000 = .227 -- the 1,000,000 is to scale up for readability.

Germany: 63 / 81757600 * 1000000 = .771

Canada: 61 / 34020000 * 1000000 = 1.793

Edit: (all populations from Wikipedia, using latest estimates)

Order is now reversed, we win. 🙂 Of course, if Liechtenstein or Nepal should ever win a gold, they would shoot to the top of this list.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (3/3/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/3/2010)

GabyYYZ (3/3/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/1/2010)

US 9 15 13 37 70

Germany 10 13 7 30 63

Canada 14 7 5 26 61

Heh heh...edited my previous post with more realistic points, 100 may have been a bit much. But I heard, all around the world, it's based on gold first, and any ties go down the list, totals be damned. But I'm thinking, the best way to measure is per capita of country's population. Using your original points:

U.S.: 70 / 308792000 * 1000000 = .227 -- the 1,000,000 is to scale up for readability.

Germany: 63 / 81757600 * 1000000 = .771

Canada: 61 / 34020000 * 1000000 = 1.793

Order is now reversed, we win. 🙂 Of course, if Liechtenstein or Nepal should ever win a gold, they would shoot to the top of this list.

LOL

I guess China and India wouldn't have much of chance this way.

Alvin Ramard

• GilaMonster (3/3/2010)

Does anyone have time to go into detail on this one?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic875858-338-1.aspx

Probably a variant of parameter sniffing, from all that's been said. The procs and exec plans have been made available, but only for today (management doesn't want them on public forum forever) and I am not going to have chance today.

It's too late tonight, but I did download the two execution plans to take a quick look.

Plan #1: Huge!

Plan #2 A single Constant Scan and a Compute Scalar. (calling one of two scalar UDFs which aren't shown, of course)

If no-one's responded by lunchtime (GMT+13) today, I might take another look.

Paul

• I think we win the Olympics, though we should. Lots of $$$ and people. No excuse for not doing well.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/3/2010)

I think we win the Olympics, though we should. Lots of $$$ and people. No excuse for not doing well.

The Russians too thought they were going to win. Reality sucks sometimes!!!

Alvin Ramard

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/3/2010)

I think we win the Olympics, though we should. Lots of $$$ and people. No excuse for not doing well.

If the criteria for winning involves having lots of US dollars and people, shouldn't China win? 😛 😉

• Paul White (3/3/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/3/2010)

If the criteria for winning involves having lots of US dollars and people, shouldn't China win? 😛 😉

LOL @Paul..That was blow below the belt...!!!

-Roy

• Paul White (3/3/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/3/2010)

I know Canadians half-heartedly joke about it, but if they didn't win a single medal, it wouldn't matter as long as we won the gold in hockey.

Gaby

Viewing 15 posts - 12,196 through 12,210 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply