Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Chris Morris-439714 (3/2/2010)

Not really. It's this one which got me thinking about it, because the data looks very familiar and also because the OP doesn't appear to know what he/she's doing and more importantly why. There was loads of scope for improvement but she/he declared that a solution had been found and scarpered.

That is most certainly irritating.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/2/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (3/2/2010)

Not really. It's this one which got me thinking about it, because the data looks very familiar and also because the OP doesn't appear to know what he/she's doing and more importantly why. There was loads of scope for improvement but she/he declared that a solution had been found and scarpered.

That is most certainly irritating.

I scanned the thread, then looked at the final 'Solution' query. It looks ok at the top...but the final query....ouch!

I reproduce it here so its beauty is preserved in more than one place:

--Query

Declare @CanID int

set @CanID=1

Declare @Exp decimal

Set @Exp=(Select Exp from @Candidate where ID=@CanID)

Declare @Location nvarchar(200)

set @Location=(Select Location from @Candidate where ID=@CanID)

DECLARE @SimilarCandidate table(

id INT IDENTITY(1,1),CandidateID INT,SimilarID INT,SlNumber INT )

insert into @SimilarCandidate

Select Distinct @CanID as CandidateID, ABX.ID as SimilarID,row_number() over (ORDER BY @@identity ) from (

Select top 500 CandidateID as ID,'0' as Exp,Status from @CandidateUsedForProject where ProjectId in (Select a.ProjectId from @CandidateUsedForProject as a where a.CandidateID=@CanID) and Status>=2 order by Status desc

UNION ALL

Select ID,Exp,0 as Status From @Candidate where Exp between @Exp-1 and @Exp+1 and Location=@Location

and ID in ( Select CandidateID from @CandidateFunctionIds where FunCtionID in (select a.FunctionID from @CandidateFunctionIds as a where a.CandidateID=@CanID))

) as ABX where ABX.ID <> @CanID

select * from @SimilarCandidate

Paul

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/2/2010)

NFL Football team

And I would (genuinely) guess at Chicago. But why ask about the Bears?

It's a meme isn't it. I was never any good at memes.

• The Bears are kind of a football team. With Cutlet at QB, they're not a great imitation of one :w00t:

• Paul White (3/2/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/2/2010)

NFL Football team

'twas a saturday night live skit a while back... Google SNL and da bears...

but yes, meme....

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/2/2010)

The Bears are kind of a football team. With Cutlet at QB, they're not a great imitation of one :w00t:

True, but they are also a fantastic AHL Hockey team...

They're having unheard of success this season. set a number of franchise records this season longest home winning streak, longest winning streak etc. Plus they are coming off their 10th league championship from last year and looking strong for their 11th...

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• QB = QuarterBack! Easy πŸ˜‰

Off to Google Saturday Night Live Da Bears. Hoping for a YouTube link.

Heh. "Did you guys order the Nachos or the beers?"

• Well this was interesting. Had someone ask for their account to be closed here since the questions haven't been good the last month and the quality of the discussions has gone down.

Hope that's not a trend.

• Hide the beer quick lads...HR's doing the rounds

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

The Bears are kind of a football team. With Cutlet at QB, they're not a great imitation of one :w00t:

Yeah - thanks for offloading that less than prime choice of rump roast to us.

Learn Extended Events

Well this was interesting. Had someone ask for their account to be closed here since the questions haven't been good the last month and the quality of the discussions has gone down.

Hope that's not a trend.

I would dispute the questions not being good. Some were extremely good. I think there has also been good quality discussion.

Doubtful that it will be a trend.

Learn Extended Events

Well this was interesting. Had someone ask for their account to be closed here since the questions haven't been good the last month and the quality of the discussions has gone down.

Hope that's not a trend.

I think I'd be concerned if that request came from someone in the top 25 or 50 posters (not counting the QotD).

• Paul White (3/2/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/2/2010)

NFL Football team

Yes. That particular phrasing was 'enmemed' by a Saturday Night Live skit from the 80's with John Belushi. (or am I confabulating that with a later Chris Farley skit? ... *sigh* getting old sux.)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Chris Morris-439714 (3/2/2010)

"How about them Bears?" πŸ™‚

Is it just me, or are the posters who appear to be the students, the ones who have the nerve to post their homework here, the worst offenders when it comes to rudeness and unwillingness to cooperate?

Heh... that's because most students leave home while they still think they know it all. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/2/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (3/2/2010)

"How about them Bears?" πŸ™‚

Is it just me, or are the posters who appear to be the students, the ones who have the nerve to post their homework here, the worst offenders when it comes to rudeness and unwillingness to cooperate?

Heh... that's because most students leave home while they still think they know it all. πŸ˜›

Which makes it harder on those of us who really do. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 12,181 through 12,195 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply