Are the posted questions getting worse?

• To add to what Bob wrote, harming the organization harms their customers and employees as well. I find it difficult to get personally worked up about harming an organization - too abstract. By keeping in mind that something may harm people, I keep it more real to myself.

It's like people who cheat on their taxes. They often think they're just harming the government, and "who cares about those jerks"? Make it human, make it as personal as possible, and it becomes more real. Ties right in to the "Trust" editorial today.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/10/2009)

[font="Verdana"]I suddenly got this mental image of a similar board for GPs, and the questions that get posted...

"Urgent! Urgent! Urgent! I have someone in my office who is sneezing! What should I prescribe?"

[/font]

Or for a surgeon...

"I accidently removed the wrong limb, what should I do?"

• Or for a surgeon...

Apply for a medical license in a different state!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

[font="Verdana"]I suddenly got this mental image of a similar board for GPs, and the questions that get posted...

"Urgent! Urgent! Urgent! I have someone in my office who is sneezing! What should I prescribe?"

[/font]

And, unfortunately, there's be people who would respond with the medical equivalent of "I have a solution for that which involves nested cursors running on table variables in a recursive function"...

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

[/font]

We would have a cousin named "Are the posted diseases getting worse?"

• The Thread (2/10/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (2/10/2009)

[/font]

We would have a cousin named "Are the posted diseases getting worse?"

lol

πŸ˜€

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Bob Hovious (2/10/2009)

"I've just deleted some huge, important tables and I haven't been doing backups. How do I get these tables back?"

If you want to laugh (or maybe cry), check this thread from SQLTeam on the myriad assorted ways that people destroy their databases.

It's kinda depressing actually.

It's dead, Jim

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Alvin Ramard (2/10/2009)

Or for a surgeon...

Apply for a medical license in a different state!!

And please, one far far away from me and my family that we will never visit! πŸ˜›

• GSquared (2/10/2009)

To add to what Bob wrote, harming the organization harms their customers and employees as well.

Absolutely! I've never had a problem seeing the harm to people, because to me organizations ARE people... people with bills to pay and children to feed... people who may find themselves cut loose in a scary job market because some idiot bluffed his way into a job he couldn't handle.

Other posts for other bulletin boards:

Engineering:

"How can I tell if my bridge is going to hold all the cars and trucks that will be driving on it?"

"How do I make sure that wings don't fall off an airplane."

Accounting:

"My client owns a grocery store. What should I report for my client's amount due to the IRS?"

Law:

"I have a 25 year old client from Michigan visiting in Florida. What do I do to make a jury say he is innocent?"

"My client has a wife and two children. What should his will say?"

Psychology:

"I have a client who is a DBA and suicidal. What do I tell them?"

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Has anyone told you you all that you are all CRAZY...:hehe:

But I enjoy it.... πŸ™‚ I did not think that DBA's had a sense of humour. Coz I dont have one....

-Roy

• Or for a surgeon...

I can remember having to write "No" on my left shoulder before going in for surgery on my right shoulder. I thought they were joking - but they were dead serious.

So maybe this could have been the patients fault. I'm sure my "No" was hard to read considering I wrote it with my right hand.

Greg E

• Greg Edwards (2/10/2009)

Or for a surgeon...

I can remember having to write "No" on my left shoulder before going in for surgery on my right shoulder. I thought they were joking - but they were dead serious.

So maybe this could have been the patients fault. I'm sure my "No" was hard to read considering I wrote it with my right hand.

Greg E

Medical mistakes result in thousands of deaths per year. Most of them are caused by faulty paperwork, if what I've read is correct. Per another thing I've read, simply having a checklist of things to make sure of in the surgical theatre can result in something like a 30% reduction in surgical deaths. These checklists include things like, "Remove the gauze before closing the incision", and "check the tray to make sure all surgical tools are present and none have been left inside the patient".

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (2/10/2009)

Greg Edwards (2/10/2009)

Or for a surgeon...

Greg E

Medical mistakes result in thousands of deaths per year. Most of them are caused by faulty paperwork, if what I've read is correct. Per another thing I've read, simply having a checklist of things to make sure of in the surgical theatre can result in something like a 30% reduction in surgical deaths. These checklists include things like, "Remove the gauze before closing the incision", and "check the tray to make sure all surgical tools are present and none have been left inside the patient".

Of course you may be having your surgery done by a resident or intern that has not slept in 18 hours.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• GilaMonster (2/10/2009)

Bob Hovious (2/10/2009)

"I've just deleted some huge, important tables and I haven't been doing backups. How do I get these tables back?"

If you want to laugh (or maybe cry), check this thread from SQLTeam on the myriad assorted ways that people destroy their databases.

It's kinda depressing actually.

It's dead, Jim

This is truly sad! I started writing an article about this last week and hope to finish it soon. I just can't believe how many people don't take / test their backups. Crazy!

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Psychology:

"I have a client who is a DBA and suicidal. What do I tell them?"

You don't have to worry about that one. His problems will go away on their own.

It's the DBA that is homicidal that you have to worry about. His problems will go away too, but it could be a bit more messy.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply