Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm waiting for the Average DBA Competition. I'll nominate myself for that one.

• I'm holding out for the Adequate DBA Competition. I'll be GREAT!

And yes, it's Brad's book on how to be an exceptional DBA. It's really worth a read.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (3/12/2010)

I'm waiting for the Average DBA Competition. I'll nominate myself for that one.

I'm waiting for the I'm Not a DBA Competition. I'll nominate myself for that one. 🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Grant Fritchey (3/12/2010)

I'm holding out for the Adequate DBA Competition. I'll be GREAT!

Why not the Barely Meets Expectations DBA?

Could you imagine the competition? :hehe:

And yes, it's Brad's book on how to be an exceptional DBA. It's really worth a read.

I think I finished the first chapter last year and then got too busy once again. I really need to pull it back out, write a review on it and use it. 😎

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• What about the lousy DBA competition? Can you nominate anyone for that one?

WAIT!!! Not all at once!!! :w00t:

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (3/12/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/12/2010)

I'm waiting for the Average DBA Competition. I'll nominate myself for that one.

I'm waiting for the I'm Not a DBA Competition. I'll nominate myself for that one. 🙂

I think I'll join you for that one.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • CirquedeSQLeil (3/12/2010)

Grant Fritchey (3/12/2010)

I'm holding out for the Adequate DBA Competition. I'll be GREAT!

Why not the Barely Meets Expectations DBA?

Could you imagine the competition? :hehe:

I think I finished the first chapter last year and then got too busy once again. I really need to pull it back out, write a review on it and use it. 😎

That one would require a series of reginal competitions that culminated in a simulcast event at the PASS Summit.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• If we did the "Delusionally Thinks He's a DBA" contest, there would certainly be a lot of competition for that one.

But I think if we had a "Please God I Wish I Wasn't the DBA" contest, that one would fill up FAST! 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Roy Ernest (3/12/2010)

And that winner wasnt me... 🙁

BUT, I did get a pretty good review at work for all the things I had achieved. 🙂

That is an "exceptional" tan you've acheived!!!!:-D

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• GSquared (3/12/2010)

If we did the "Delusionally Thinks He's a DBA" contest, there would certainly be a lot of competition for that one.

But I think if we had a "Please God I Wish I Wasn't the DBA" contest, that one would fill up FAST! 🙂

Timing matters. It would really be contingent on how one feels that day.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/12/2010)

GSquared (3/12/2010)

If we did the "Delusionally Thinks He's a DBA" contest, there would certainly be a lot of competition for that one.

I was more thinking in terms of all the people who end up having to handle a crashed database because they're "good with computers", and their employer doesn't have a better option.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/12/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/12/2010)

GSquared (3/12/2010)

I was more thinking in terms of all the people who end up having to handle a crashed database because they're "good with computers", and their employer doesn't have a better option.

And don't have a good backup and ...

Ah, yes. I can see it lining up right now just like American Idol :sick:

Learn Extended Events

• Or don't even know where to look to find out if they have a good backup.

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (3/12/2010)

Or don't even know where to look to find out if they have a good backup.

Q: Backup plan?

A: I have a couple of buddies that are recruiters. They'll find me another job.

Alvin Ramard

• Q: How can you tell that your day will not go well?

A: You picked a fight with Paul Randall.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic881729-391-1.aspx

Alvin Ramard

Viewing 15 posts - 12,511 through 12,525 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply