Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gianluca Sartori (3/12/2010)

RBarryYoung (3/12/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/9/2010)

I think someone has me confused with someone else here.

It's the light-sabers, you're both using green on the left side. I get them mixed up all the time too... 😛

Well, looking at the name only, confusion is possible.

Well from the confused one. Lynn is rarely a male name here in the states, like Kim, it happens, but not often. So, sorry for the confusion..

CEWII

• Paul White (3/12/2010)

Elliott W (3/11/2010)

I am looking for one more person for the review.

I have some SSIS skillz. Send it to me if you want some abuse 😉

Great, I'll add you to the list. Thanks. I can take the abuse..

CEWII

• From Twitter:

I'm not a DBA, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GilaMonster (3/12/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (3/12/2010)

That would be funny! I was officially nominated DBA two weeks ago, it's a bit early to enter a competition and pretend that I'm "exceptional"! 😛

Considering some of the entries we had last year, maybe not....

Exceptional has two possible meanings in my mind 😉

One good, one maybe not so much.

• Chad Crawford (3/12/2010)

jcrawf02 (3/12/2010)

that's what happens when you're chasing the guy in charge of the point totals---oops!:hehe:

That was EXACTLY my thought too. Update AuthorPostCount SET Posts = Jeff+3000 WHERE Username = 'Steve Jones - Editor'. Schedule it to run once per hour and you're done. Naw - Steve would never do such a thing...

Chad

Steve also gets the QOD points. Just affix correct to his answer everytime and voila.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Elliott W (3/12/2010)

Great, I'll add you to the list. Thanks. I can take the abuse.

Quoted so you can't edit that statement away. My future lawyers might need it. 😀

• RBarryYoung (3/12/2010)

Paul White (3/12/2010)

GilaMonster (3/12/2010)

and how fast time flies.

Tell me about it. How can summer be over already? 🙁

Freak storm over here this afternoon - roofs ripped off, trees knocked over etc.

The temperature dropped from 22°C to 10°C in ten minutes.

Made the news, it did.

Dude, summer was over like 5 months ago! 😀

Oh you wacky Northern-Hemisphere types! :w00t:

• Ha! I'm far from 100% on the QOD. I'd like to say I'm testing wrong answers, which I do at times, but rarely. I tend to just give it the 2 minutes that I expect most other people to take on the question. Go with first impressions, figure out, or guess, on the answer.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/12/2010)

Ha! I'm far from 100% on the QOD. I'd like to say I'm testing wrong answers, which I do at times, but rarely. I tend to just give it the 2 minutes that I expect most other people to take on the question. Go with first impressions, figure out, or guess, on the answer.

I could have swore you had more points on QOD - I must have been doing math with both eyes shut.

Quite honorable approach.

Learn Extended Events

• Paul White (3/12/2010)

GilaMonster (3/12/2010)

That would be funny! I was officially nominated DBA two weeks ago, it's a bit early to enter a competition and pretend that I'm "exceptional"! 😛

My workstation is being exceptional.....applied updates and rebooted, and now C:\ drive is missing.:exclamation:

Greg E

• Gianluca Sartori (3/12/2010)

jcrawf02 (3/12/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/12/2010)

I think it's a cultural issue. There is a different kind of excitement at the US conferences from what I've heard.

You can always submit to speak. I know that doesn't cover airfare/hotel, but maybe you can work out some partial coverage with your boss. Or you can enter the Exceptional DBA contest and win a trip!

that's what happens when you're chasing the guy in charge of the point totals---oops!:hehe:

I guess you quoted the wrong post, John. It took me some minutes to figure out what your reply was referred to! 🙂

sorry about that, didn't even notice.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul White (3/12/2010)

GilaMonster (3/12/2010)

Some of the entries last year were in the second category. There were a small number that I read and said to myself 'you think you're exceptional? compared to what???'

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/12/2010)

Paul White (3/12/2010)

GilaMonster (3/12/2010)

Some of the entries last year were in the second category. There were a small number that I read and said to myself 'you think you're exceptional? compared to what???'

Well, the winner was certainly exceptional.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• And that winner wasnt me... 🙁

BUT, I did get a pretty good review at work for all the things I had achieved. 🙂

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (3/12/2010)

And that winner wasnt me... 🙁

BUT, I did get a pretty good review at work for all the things I had achieved. 🙂

A good review is quite worthwhile too.

Think of it this way - only one person was awarded the exceptional DBA. Maybe it would be worth reading Brad's book on the subject (I think it's Brad's book anyway).

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 12,496 through 12,510 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply