Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Roy Ernest (3/16/2010)

I got my $500 yesterday. If I can write an article there, anyone here can write it for sure. 🙂

You wrote an article for the standard? What's the link so we can go read it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Paul White (3/16/2010)

Grant Fritchey (3/16/2010)

Yeah, it was absolutely top notch. Too bad he didn't write it for the Standard. I would have paid more. 😀

$500!!!

But, you must:

• Have 5 years professional experience as a developer, DBA, report writer, database developer, or some other technical or functional area
  • Have been published formally as a writer (excludes blogs) on any of the SQL community sites (content will be reviewed as part of the abstract acceptance process) or have written a book that has gone through a technical/copy review process
  • Be a member of the Professional Association of SQL Server and have a profile on PASSPort
  • I meet exactly one of those criteria, don't know about Bob.

I finally meet the last of those requirements as of last week. Otherwise, I think it would be a worthwhile venture (even without the $).

Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (3/16/2010)

But yeah, we're still only accepting articles from reasonably established articles. But getting three articles up on SQL Server Central isn't exactly an impossibly high hurdle. Heck, I've done it.

Nix my last comment on the topic - I still don't qualify. I need a couple more articles. Like Paul, that is a little more motivating.

Learn Extended Events

• I am trying to finish up 2 articles for Grant and the Standard. Somehow life and work keep getting in the way.

• I think Grant has leeway on getting you accepted. The idea is that he doesn't get the 35 guys that have a great idea, but just scribble something down without organizing it.

Like I often get.

Jason, your article was well written, and you had people proof it. One draft and published. Same for Bob, Wayne, and Paul (coming soon). I have had some authors that we have gone through 5 or 6 drafts to get a barely understandable article.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/16/2010)

I think Grant has leeway on getting you accepted. The idea is that he doesn't get the 35 guys that have a great idea, but just scribble something down without organizing it.

Like I often get.

Jason, your article was well written, and you had people proof it. One draft and published. Same for Bob, Wayne, and Paul (coming soon). I have had some authors that we have gone through 5 or 6 drafts to get a barely understandable article.

I like having people proof the articles before submitting them. I had the pleasure of reviewing the articles of all three of those guys. That was a lot of fun too.

I do like the 3 article minimum idea. If it's something you feel is worth doing - then do it a few times.

Learn Extended Events

Yeah, it was absolutely top notch. Too bad he didn't write it for the Standard. I would have paid more. 😀

You would have paid ME?! STEVE!! I want my $100 bucks back that I sent you !! :w00t:

Just finished a morning's worth of meetings and snuck a peek at all the comments. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Congratulations Lynn for a much worthier achievement!! I'm looking forward to the party in the tent.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (3/15/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/15/2010)

Anybody else see a problem with this statement?

DECLARE @selectDate = getdate()-365

Yes, in SQL Server 2008 it is missing the data type. Should be:

DECLARE @selectDate datetime = getdate() - 365;

much better, but that's not the date I selected...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/15/2010)

Roy Ernest (3/15/2010)

people born on 29th of February never gets old... 🙂 They are always young..

They age at 1/4th the rate of the rest of us. Certainly is not fair.

but they look so old for their age...

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/16/2010)

I have had some authors that we have gone through 5 or 6 drafts to get a barely understandable article.

And I've apologized for that over & over.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• C'mon, Grant, it's not your writing.

Now the photoshopping for your editorial videos......:hehe::w00t:

Steve Jones - Editor (3/16/2010)

I have had some authors that we have gone through 5 or 6 drafts to get a barely understandable article.

And I've apologized for that over & over.

Out of four articles written, I only made one minor change to one article before it was published, and that was the first one published on another site.

I may not think I write well, but others seem to like what I wrote and that makes me feel good.

Now, if I could just make time to write some more...

• Alvin Ramard (3/15/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/15/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/15/2010)

GilaMonster (3/15/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/15/2010)

Steve, we really need a "devil emoticon"

I need an angel. For all those 'looks around innocently' type comments

How about a "knocking head against the wall" one too?

If we are going that far, then an explosives vest is necessary 😀

GilaMonster (3/15/2010)

I need an angel. For all those 'looks around innocently' type comments

Can't have a devil without an angel. I think Lynn wants one too - needs the halo icon.

We could also use one with rubber boots and a shovel. 😀

I've always liked this one:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/animated%20beating%20a%20dead%20horse/RaulMonkey/Animated/beating-a-dead-horse.gif?o=1

• Paul White (3/15/2010)

In fact it is as bad as DATEADD(DAY, DATEDIFF(DAY, 0, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP), 0).

All right Paul, edumacate me. Why is this bad?

• Paul White (3/16/2010)

Isn't Bob's/Dixie's article an excellent read today?

Shame about some of the layout, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Most enjoyable.

It definitely was. I particularly enjoyed the last line...:-D:hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 12,766 through 12,780 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply