Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (3/18/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/18/2010)

BTW, someone pinged me about a GTR posting bad info and causing trouble. Anyone have complaints, or are these other teaching moments?

Speaking of the individual, he just popped in here.

And here

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Paul,

I am curious why you changed your alias to include NZ.

Learn Extended Events

• Anyone has a link for that "Magical on the fly tally table" as

with cte as (Select 1 union all select 1 union all select 1 union all select 1) thingy?

I would love to understand how they actually use it, and why it's better then a Tally. I seen this somewhere, I can't remember where.

Cheers,

J-F

• You will see several examples at http://ask.sqlservercentral.com/questions/4241/whats-the-best-way-to-solve-the-fizzbuzz-question

Learn Extended Events

• john.arnott (3/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/17/2010)

Like clustered indexes are better than nonclustered indexes?

Sometimes I think about teasing my DBA by saying stuff like "since clustered indexes are better than non-clustered, could you make all our indexes clustered, please?". (I only think about it.)

Ask your DBA to deploy DBCC TIMEWARP. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks, I'll do some reading, looks interesting.

Cheers,

J-F

• Jeff Moden (3/18/2010)

john.arnott (3/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/17/2010)

Sometimes I think about teasing my DBA by saying stuff like "since clustered indexes are better than non-clustered, could you make all our indexes clustered, please?". (I only think about it.)

Ask your DBA to deploy DBCC TIMEWARP. 😛

That could be dangerous so be sure to tell him to be careful with the use of parameter 137. 😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• J-F Bergeron (3/18/2010)

Thanks, I'll do some reading, looks interesting.

You're welcome.

Learn Extended Events

• ...and the understatement of the year award goes to....

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/18/2010)

Congrats on registering. See you at PASS?

Jack Corbett (3/18/2010)

Were you at the 2009 Summit? I hope not because I think I missed you there then. Either way, hope we get together this year.

Absolutely! I don't gamble, but will definately be at the Monday night party. This is my first Summit, I wasn't there last year.

Chad

• john.arnott (3/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/17/2010)

Sure. That one's easy. Just means every table can only have one index, but it can be done. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/18/2010)

john.arnott (3/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/17/2010)

Sure. That one's easy. Just means every table can only have one index, but it can be done. 🙂

I had a co-worker who would of done this without thinking about it or explaining to the developer making the request what exactly he was doing. It would of been my job to have cleaned up the mess after we of had performance issue complaints. The co-worker would of probably forgotten that he'd done it. He didn't last long. That DBA did not know how to look before he leaped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• tstaker (3/18/2010)

GSquared (3/18/2010)

john.arnott (3/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/17/2010)

I had a co-worker who would of done this without thinking about it or explaining to the developer making the request what exactly he was doing. It would of been my job to have cleaned up the mess after we of had performance issue complaints. The co-worker would of probably forgotten that he'd done it. He didn't last long. That DBA did not know how to look before he leaped.

Haha - these kinds are unfortunately a dime a dozen.

Learn Extended Events

• For those not on twitter. I took and passed 70-450 today.

It was definitely harder than 70-432, but common sense gets you through it. There isn't a training kit for it, so I basically read up on my worst topics in BOL.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (3/18/2010)

For those not on twitter. I took and passed 70-450 today.

It was definitely harder than 70-432, but common sense gets you through it. There isn't a training kit for it, so I basically read up on my worst topics in BOL.

Like I said on twitter, congratulations.

Can't help but wonder now if I should do the same, but for developer, not DBA.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 12,961 through 12,975 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply