Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Congrats on registering. See you at PASS?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Paul White NZ (3/18/2010)

jcrawf02 (3/18/2010)

MVP doesn't necessarily mean that you know what you're talking about, just that you're an MVP on a specific topic

I know...really I do...I have encountered more than one SQL Server MVP (not one of the bigger names) that have, er, disappointed me somewhat.

I suppose I was thinking that Steve would only enable it on request, and only for people he could vouch for. Something like that. Dunno really, maybe it is a dumb idea.

I think 'Vouched For' is OK, allowing individuals to enter it would be the same as putting it in signature.

I seem to post less and less as in 'No Advice' is better than 'Poor Advice'.

It's that recurring nightmare of Jeff creeping up on me with a Pork Chop Launcher......

BWAAAHAAA....

TWANG......

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (3/18/2010)

Paul White NZ (3/18/2010)

jcrawf02 (3/18/2010)

MVP doesn't necessarily mean that you know what you're talking about, just that you're an MVP on a specific topic

I know...really I do...I have encountered more than one SQL Server MVP (not one of the bigger names) that have, er, disappointed me somewhat.

I suppose I was thinking that Steve would only enable it on request, and only for people he could vouch for. Something like that. Dunno really, maybe it is a dumb idea.

I think 'Vouched For' is OK, allowing individuals to enter it would be the same as putting it in signature.

I seem to post less and less as in 'No Advice' is better than 'Poor Advice'.

It's that recurring nightmare of Jeff creeping up on me with a Pork Chop Launcher......

BWAAAHAAA....

TWANG......

For the MVP, have steve vouch - sure. I think you could add a vote button to confirm a persons "reputation" like on ask as well - but only for a vouched MVP.

Learn Extended Events

• You can put MVP in your signature all you want, but you can't link to this unless you have one.

Remember, MVP is about service to the community. Some, like Gail or Jeff, have near encyclopedic knowledge of SQL Server. Others don't. Just because an MVP says something doesn't me he/she has a clue.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Chad Crawford (3/18/2010)

How did this work? I just registered for PASS (wahoo!), used the SSC code and got $200 off the registration? I had heard that you couldn't use the early registration discount and the SSC code, but thought I'd give it a go anyway and wow - glad I did!

Steve - did I make off with the bank, or is that what is supposed to happen?

Chad

I think we had a $200 one negotiated, but I thought it was later in the year. I thought it was after May, but I guess it took effect after the Mar 15 price change.

• Grant Fritchey (3/18/2010)

You can put MVP in your signature all you want, but you can't link to this unless you have one.

Remember, MVP is about service to the community. Some, like Gail or Jeff, have near encyclopedic knowledge of SQL Server. Others don't. Just because an MVP says something doesn't me he/she has a clue.

Excellent point.

That would be a critical piece of info there.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/18/2010)

Grant Fritchey (3/18/2010)

You can put MVP in your signature all you want, but you can't link to this unless you have one.

Excellent point.

I wish there was a way to peer rate the advice given like there is on ASK SSC.

Maybe even a way to peer rate each other. That way one someone who is well respected in the SSC community gives some advice newer people would now the level of expertise the advice is comming from.

Another thing I'd like to see is a way to recommend a peer like linkedIn does. Maybe have a place in a persons profile to read a recommendation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• We've debated the rating piece. There is the ability to rate a topic is there, but not a post. We've asked for that and ASK SSC got put up to try and help. However the "moving" of posts as they are rated is an issue for discussions. We need to add the ability to rate a particular post here, just not sure when we'll get it done.

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/18/2010)

Grant Fritchey (3/18/2010)

Excellent point.

How about a web of trust, like PGP (Pretty Good Privacy email encryption) employs? The more MVP's that link to each other, the more confident you can feel that the MVP's with the larger amount of links is someone more reliable.

Then again, it may be a silly idea because:

1) I'm not an MVP so not sure how the politicking works, if it does, and

2) I'm getting over a bad head cold so not thinking straight. 😀

Cheers,

Gaby

• Grant Fritchey (3/18/2010)

MVP is technical expertise AND community involvement. It's not just service to the community.

That said, it doesn't mean that an MVP will know everything about everything even within their technical specialities. The specialities are fairly broad. Ok, some people will open their mouths when they shouldn't and advise on something they don't know well. In a perfect world that wouldn't happen. The world ain't perfect.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - Editor (3/18/2010)

BTW, someone pinged me about a GTR posting bad info and causing trouble. Anyone have complaints, or are these other teaching moments?

Speaking of the individual, he just popped in here.

• Chad Crawford (3/18/2010)

How did this work? I just registered for PASS (wahoo!), used the SSC code and got $200 off the registration? I had heard that you couldn't use the early registration discount and the SSC code, but thought I'd give it a go anyway and wow - glad I did!

Steve - did I make off with the bank, or is that what is supposed to happen?

Chad

Chad,

Were you at the 2009 Summit? I hope not because I think I missed you there then. Either way, hope we get together this year.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Lynn Pettis (3/17/2010)

Like clustered indexes are better than nonclustered indexes?

Sometimes I think about teasing my DBA by saying stuff like "since clustered indexes are better than non-clustered, could you make all our indexes clustered, please?". (I only think about it.)

• john.arnott (3/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/17/2010)

Like clustered indexes are better than nonclustered indexes?

Sometimes I think about teasing my DBA by saying stuff like "since clustered indexes are better than non-clustered, could you make all our indexes clustered, please?". (I only think about it.)

I know of at least 4 DBAs that would try to accommodate that request.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/17/2010)

A thought just occurred to me.

We see several people complaining about the English in the QOD. What if we responded to all QOD comments for a given time period in another language? Think that would ruffle some more feathers?

Considering that a QOD I'd submitted elicited one post complaining that I'd mistakenly used "it's" as a possessive -- that crazy, backwards rule of English grammar that I know but missed in my explanation -- I'd say plenty of feathers would be ruffled.

BTW, Thanks to those who backed me up on my response to that self-appointed guardian of the language yesterday. I woke this morning thinking maybe I'd gone a bit overboard, but was gratified to see your agreement.

Viewing 15 posts - 12,946 through 12,960 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply