Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

Okay, does this mean I should break down and get sertified as well?? I mean, it's looking like more of the denizens of The Thread are making that step.

Lynn, one thing that has been pushing me that way is that as a contractor I know that in the near future I'll be looking for work. Considering how the economy has been going, I'm scared I may be out of work for a longer period than I would like. Certification might help my resume float closer to the top of the pile. Even if it does not do that, the studying process should improve my knowledge.

I've also been thinking that if everything goes well getting certified as a SQL Developer, I may consider SQL DBA also.

I just ordered a book for my first exam prep so it's way too early to say for sure what I'll do.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/22/2010)

Any comments on this link? Too close to advertising?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost887102.aspx

Looks like spam to me...

• Alvin Ramard (3/22/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

Okay, does this mean I should break down and get sertified as well?? I mean, it's looking like more of the denizens of The Thread are making that step.

Lynn, one thing that has been pushing me that way is that as a contractor I know that in the near future I'll be looking for work. Considering how the economy has been going, I'm scared I may be out of work for a longer period than I would like. Certification might help my resume float closer to the top of the pile. Even if it does not do that, the studying process should improve my knowledge.

I've also been thinking that if everything goes well getting certified as a SQL Developer, I may consider SQL DBA also.

I just ordered a book for my first exam prep so it's way too early to say for sure what I'll do.

How long have you been contracting? How long before this contract expires?

Are you opposed to moving?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/22/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

I've been contracting since Nov 2007 and I'm on my 2nd contract. I was without work for about 6 weeks between these contracts. This contract was labelled as "short term" and I've been here since Sept 2009.

If I move from Memphis, TN, I'm moving to eastern Nova Scotia, Canada.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

I've been contracting since Nov 2007 and I'm on my 2nd contract. I was without work for about 6 weeks between these contracts. This contract was labelled as "short term" and I've been here since Sept 2009.

That is good news that the Contract is still ongoing. Or it could make you antsy knowing that it will end soon.

Can't say that i would move to Canada, but I'll let you slide on it since you're Canadian. 😉

Learn Extended Events

Alvin Ramard (3/22/2010)

That is good news that the Contract is still ongoing. Or it could make you antsy knowing that it will end soon.

Can't say that i would move to Canada, but I'll let you slide on it since you're Canadian. 😉

My only reason for saying NS is that it's home.

Alvin Ramard

• Okay, this afternoon/evening having kids is making the time drag. Of course the weekend flew by. It'll be 15 years for my wife and I in June. For the most part life is good, but the days the kids are having a hard time, it doesn't feel too good.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/22/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

I was looking around the country at one time, and I seem to recall seeing some opportunities in Memphis, TN, just nothing that would make me move (same dollars I'm making now just doesn't do it for me).

• Gianluca Sartori (3/22/2010)

tstaker (3/22/2010)

Anyone have anything funny, interesting or weird to talk about today? I'm bored.

A consulting company here installed a SQL clustered Server with two nodes and they didn't even take the time to inform me. I don't know who decided to install a new sever, who decided this instance could not fit into the existing servers, who decided the way the instances were to be configured.

Now the physical disks are full because nobody is taking backups and the users are complaining.

Does this fall into the "funny" category?

Nah... if you want to see "funny", find out who gave them the system's password so they could do that stuff. Then, set their hair on fire and put it out with a high velocity barrage of pork chops from multiple simultaneous angles.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/22/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (3/22/2010)

tstaker (3/22/2010)

Anyone have anything funny, interesting or weird to talk about today? I'm bored.

A consulting company here installed a SQL clustered Server with two nodes and they didn't even take the time to inform me. I don't know who decided to install a new sever, who decided this instance could not fit into the existing servers, who decided the way the instances were to be configured.

Now the physical disks are full because nobody is taking backups and the users are complaining.

Does this fall into the "funny" category?

Nah... if you want to see "funny", find out who gave them the system's password so they could do that stuff. Then, set their hair on fire and put it out with a high velocity barrage of pork chops from multiple simultaneous angles.

Visions of Itchy and Scratchy just ran through my head.

Learn Extended Events

• My experience of interviewing is that candidates with certifications lack practical knowledge. Just an observation.

• Paul White NZ (3/22/2010)

My experience of interviewing is that candidates with certifications lack practical knowledge. Just an observation.

In many cases that is correct. However, it seems that the trend here is to gain practical knowledge (amongst threadites) and then get certified.

I also believe the same could easily be said about people with College Degrees. There is a person in our finance dept that got a degree in CS. Was promoted to IT manager because of that and didn't have a clue about IT. He still doesn't know what a DBA is.

Learn Extended Events

Paul White NZ (3/22/2010)

My experience of interviewing is that candidates with certifications lack practical knowledge. Just an observation.

In many cases that is correct. However, it seems that the trend here is to gain practical knowledge (amongst threadites) and then get certified.

I also believe the same could easily be said about people with College Degrees. There is a person in our finance dept that got a degree in CS. Was promoted to IT manager because of that and didn't have a clue about IT. He still doesn't know what a DBA is.

This was my experience as well as a manager of DBA's interviewing new candidates. I've avoided the certifications for years because of nightmare interviews with people who were certified. However, I'm starting to see a slight shift and have been meeting more and more DBA's and other IT folks with experience and with the certs.

I usually study the study guides and read some of the chapters in the prep books because it helps me to fill in knowledge gaps on things I haven't been exposed to. Having the experience is great but sometimes getting that experience some of the basics were skipped over, mainly in areas that aren't part of the way my systems or company has been set up. A good example to this is replication. I've never had the opportunity to set it up, I supported an existing system with replication on a contract job but I didn't set it up. About a year in a half ago I decided to set it up in a lab and study it just in case I need it some day. I still haven't had the opportunity but I've filled in more of that gap then before.

Part of the reason I come to this site is to try and find and fill these gaps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• GilaMonster (3/22/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (3/22/2010)

I don't know who decided to install a new sever, who decided this instance could not fit into the existing servers, who decided the way the instances were to be configured.

They're consultants, they automatically know better than anyone else. Why on earth would they deign to tell you anything? </arrogant consultant tone> 😛

BEGIN RANTThe consultants were just doing their job (extort money). What I find shocking is that my co-workers in the "system architects" office gave them the hardware knowing exactly what they would have done with it. Sometimes it looks like we work for two different companies...

I can understand that some SQL Express turns up every now and then when a new app is installed, but a clustered server is a bit different. I could scan the network to find new servers, but I would never find anything new, because my laptop is allowed to connect to a limited set of IP addresses. Reason? Same as above: "users" have to fall into limited VLANs and IT people that don't work on the systems side are simply "users".END RANT

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Grant Fritchey (3/22/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

GSquared (3/22/2010)

tstaker (3/22/2010)

My main subjects of conversation so far today have been politics (Obamacare passed the House late yesterday), or my re-wedding (wife and I did a renewal of vows on Saturday).

I'm saturated on politics, but if you're interested in the ceremony, I could write about that.

So, how many years??

Don't know about Gus, but I'm coming up on 22 years this fall.

3 years in May for me, but I'm already starting to forget 😛

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 15 posts - 13,126 through 13,140 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply