Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (3/23/2010)

We are Married not Dead!

Semantics...:-P

• Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

I was looking around the country at one time, and I seem to recall seeing some opportunities in Memphis, TN, just nothing that would make me move (same dollars I'm making now just doesn't do it for me).

Lynn, I've been in Memphis for 10 years now and I definitely will not be the first person to recommend Memphis. I've told numerous people that I am leaving Memphis and going back to Canada. The only question is: "When?"

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

WayneS (3/23/2010)

That being said, employers are still impressed by having certifications. For that reason, I feel that all the denizons of the thread would benefit from being certified... that coupled with their experience should float their resumes to the top of the pile.

The other thing that it does is introduce you to areas of the product that you may not have worked with, because they never came up. It's good to know what's there, even if you don't know much about some areas at least you know they exist.

This is the reason I took the certification tests. I, and I think others, tend to only learn about the things I know I need to do my job when I need it. Unfortunately this often means I 'm leaving out options that I just don't know about that will do the job better. Thus taking the tests, going to user groups, etc...

User groups? Now there's an idea! Maybe I should give that a try. 😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Gianluca Sartori (3/23/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

Visions of Itchy and Scratchy just ran through my head.

ROTFL! :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Jason, I don't want to be unrespectful, but, looking at the quite high number of wedding anniversaries most threadizens have, I don't think they all know Itchy and Scratchy! 😛

We are married not Dead!

Considering Itchy and Scratchy first aired in Nov 1988 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Itchy_&_Scratchy_Show) Even those who have been married for a while have probably seen Itchy and Scratchy at least once...

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (3/23/2010)

Not odd, ive always thought the exams are based around , can you remember obscure syntax for obscure functionality used once in a blue moon.

They're not. The 1st generation cert exams were, to a point, like that. The latest ones aren't.

On a CV/Resume, would it be better to list your experiences first and then, at the end, list the cert(s), or flip the order and have the certs first, to at least grab people's attention? It almost seems that if you're submitting to a job placement agency, the certs should go first but when you have the proper interview afterwards with their client, or submit your resume directly to a company, then the experience should be listed first.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (3/23/2010)

On a CV/Resume, would it be better to list your experiences first and then, at the end, list the cert(s), or flip the order and have the certs first, to at least grab people's attention? It almost seems that if you're submitting to a job placement agency, the certs should go first but when you have the proper interview afterwards with their client, or submit your resume directly to a company, then the experience should be listed first.

I've always tailored my resume to each potential employer based on what was in the job posting etc. For Staffing Agencies, most use some sort of resume scanner so the more keywords the better. For actual interviews that gets cut down to experience pertinent to the posting. If a job posting includes something like certs a plus or certs required, then sure it should be placed prominently, otherwise I just place it with the rest of my education...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Gianluca Sartori (3/23/2010)

Jason, I don't want to be unrespectful, but, looking at the quite high number of wedding anniversaries most threadizens have, I don't think they all know Itchy and Scratchy! 😛

Just making my way through the thread - but something tells me they at least know who Bart and Lisa are.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/23/2010)

Just making my way through the thread - but something tells me they at least know who Bart and Lisa are.

Who?

(now where's that new angelic emoticon?)

• WayneS (3/23/2010)

I also believe the same could easily be said about people with College Degrees. There is a person in our finance dept that got a degree in CS. Was promoted to IT manager because of that and didn't have a clue about IT. He still doesn't know what a DBA is.

In MY experience, those people that go to college from high school, get a degree in an IT field (even a masters!), and then join the work force have been the absolute worse programmers / DBAs that I've seen.

Those folks that were working in the field, then went and earned their degree, are a completely different story. Those folks have been (again, in my experience) some of the most top-notch IT personnel that I've run into.

I agree with that assessment (having done it that way myself). You get into the classroom with texts that are at least 2 years out of date and out of current technology. Then you have a prof that knows less about the subject and teaches directly from the text.

Learn Extended Events

• GabyYYZ (3/23/2010)

GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (3/23/2010)

Not odd, ive always thought the exams are based around , can you remember obscure syntax for obscure functionality used once in a blue moon.

They're not. The 1st generation cert exams were, to a point, like that. The latest ones aren't.

Some agencies require a specific format with a specific order. I list my experience first and then my certs at the end. However, I do leave a Logo by my name and address at the top of the page. A lot of places have preferred that.

Learn Extended Events

• Paul White NZ (3/23/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/23/2010)

Who?

"Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?"

Learn Extended Events

• Paul White NZ (3/23/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/23/2010)

Who?

(now where's that new angelic emoticon?)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Here's what I think on resumes/CVs.

Put the interesting to read stuff first. You never know who will read this, so just in case, put experience, descriptions, read-able stuff first. You want to make an impression, grab some interest first.

Then put keywords at the end, skills, interests, etc. Those are primarily for searches anyway and not interesting to read. That way if the staffing agency passes it along, it looks good.

• GabyYYZ (3/23/2010)

On a CV/Resume, would it be better to list your experiences first and then, at the end, list the cert(s), or flip the order and have the certs first, to at least grab people's attention?

I tend to put them at the beginning, in the same section as my formal education (university degrees).

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Luke L (3/23/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/23/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (3/23/2010)

We are married not Dead!

Considering Itchy and Scratchy first aired in Nov 1988 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Itchy_&_Scratchy_Show) Even those who have been married for a while have probably seen Itchy and Scratchy at least once...

1988? I thought it was much later. Probably it's me that is getting old...

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 15 posts - 13,156 through 13,170 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply