Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Guess that settles it... Barry is back and feelin' fine! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• RBarryYoung (3/23/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/17/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/17/2010)

A thought just occurred to me.

We see several people complaining about the English in the QOD. What if we responded to all QOD comments for a given time period in another language? Think that would ruffle some more feathers?

Klingon?

Nah, Meesa-latin (Jar-jar's native tongue) is the standout choice. 😛

Mesa likin this answer. 😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Paul White NZ (3/18/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/18/2010)

I heard the tent is open.

I don't go to the desert. I make phone calls to people that like to hurt other people :w00t:

That was you?! Paul, I've been out, but I'm pretty sure that the first 20 or 30 messages were enough... 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Man, you're in fine form tonight Barry. The pain meds must be extra-fine. It almost makes me wish I'd kept my signature line listing you as my evil twin.

Uh, Dixie. Dude. What have I told you about chugging Absinthe? [Sick]

I don't do absinthe, or even Pernod for that matter. Never developed a taste for licorice. But I've got a little "green fairy" friend who has been known to have a few when we visit New Orleans.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Roy Ernest (3/15/2010)

people born on 29th of February never gets old... 🙂 They are always young..

Heh. Actually, so am I. 😀

Barry! Glad to see you back!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Jeff Moden (3/23/2010)

Guess that settles it... Barry is back and feelin' fine! 😛

err.... Barry's back is feelin' fine 😉

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Paul White NZ (3/19/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (3/19/2010)

I'm in Oxford, Mississippi, actually, about an hour south of Memphis. Memphis sits on the Mississippi River at the extreme western edge of Tennessee.

The words 'Mississippi' and 'Tennessee' scare me slightly. Way too many repeated vowels, and a very low score for consonant-diversity!

Oh we're much more efficient with our character usage for long inscrutable names here in the states. Plus, zip can squash them down to almost nuthin! 😉

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Lynn Pettis (3/19/2010)

Anybody have some good links to why you should NOT use the NOLOCK hint? Seems everyone writing SELECT queries these days uses that everywhere.

Yes, why do people only seem to care about data integrity and validity when they are writing it? Shouldn't it be just as important when they're reading data too?

[/font]

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/22/2010)

... If anyone sees my bag on their travels today, burgundy, green luggage tag, tell United I'd appreciate it getting sent to me.

No problem, I'm mostly done with it anyway ... 😀

[/font]

• Changing the subject (if there is one), any art critics here?

Been fiddling with this on and off for a couple years now. Initial idea was just the light from the abyss, I added the statues to give a focus, not sure still if it's working.

p.s. Welcome back Barry

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (3/22/2010)

GilaMonster (3/19/2010)

GSquared (3/19/2010)

Well, I get to tell stories about riding a horse home through the woods at 40 degrees below zero with enough wind-chill to make spit freeze before it could hit the ground, at night, in a blizzard. Unfortunately, it was only uphill one way, but it was after school, so that counts for something.

If I'm telling that one, and you're telling a story about, "I went outside and it was pleasantly warm", guess which one will get more attention in most audiences.

So what about the story of walking outside and the heat hitting like a hammer, sweat evaporating before it hit the ground? No need to start a fire to cook breakfast, a frying pan placed on the sidewalk got hot enough to fry eggs and bacon.

No, it doesn't get quite that hot here. 6 hours drive north (Messina), it does.

Hottest I've ever been was Death Valley in August. I was 9 years old, weighed about 60, maybe 70 pounds (around 30 kg for the rest of the world), and drank over 2 gallons (about 7 litres) of water that day, without needing to urinate even once. We had apples in a brown paper bag on the shelf under the back window the car, and they baked...

You had urine?!? Wow, you sure had it good ... 😛

[/font]

• GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

Changing the subject (if there is one), any art critics here?

Been fiddling with this on and off for a couple years now. Initial idea was just the light from the abyss, I added the statues to give a focus, not sure still if it's working.

p.s. Welcome back Barry

Intriguing. The light rays seem to throw it off just a bit for me. The statues, to me, seem to be marking a path. They don't appear to be equidistant from that path (either side of it). That is likely due to the focal point disappearing on the horizon on the right - so it is probably fine and just an illusion otherwise. But the beams of light still seem a little off to me.

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/22/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

GSquared (3/22/2010)

tstaker (3/22/2010)

Anyone have anything funny, interesting or weird to talk about today? I'm bored.

My main subjects of conversation so far today have been politics (Obamacare passed the House late yesterday), or my re-wedding (wife and I did a renewal of vows on Saturday).

I'm saturated on politics, but if you're interested in the ceremony, I could write about that.

So, how many years??

real years, not what it felt like. 😛

Going on 15 for me. Feels like about 5 - until I try to remember details of those early years. It's hard to remember facts from 15 years ago, let alone 4.

Coming up on 24 this September.

Cool, 27 for me.

First 4 dragged compared to the last 20. Having kids makes time fly apparently.

That's called "Traumatic Amnesia". 😀

[/font]

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/22/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

GSquared (3/22/2010)

tstaker (3/22/2010)

Anyone have anything funny, interesting or weird to talk about today? I'm bored.

My main subjects of conversation so far today have been politics (Obamacare passed the House late yesterday), or my re-wedding (wife and I did a renewal of vows on Saturday).

I'm saturated on politics, but if you're interested in the ceremony, I could write about that.

So, how many years??

real years, not what it felt like. 😛

Going on 15 for me. Feels like about 5 - until I try to remember details of those early years. It's hard to remember facts from 15 years ago, let alone 4.

Coming up on 24 this September.

Cool, 27 for me.

Congrats on a long Marriage Barry.

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/22/2010)

Any comments on this link? Too close to advertising?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost887102.aspx

Looks like spam to me...

This has the smell of a "False Leader" sales scam. Claim to be doing a "study" for someone known and trusted (MS in this case) as a means to get your foot in the door to potential $1B customers. If they are what they say they are (and I doubt it), then they should be able to provide a confirming contact at Microsoft.

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 13,216 through 13,230 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply