Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White NZ (3/25/2010)

Grant Fritchey (3/25/2010)

Heck better Database Administrator than Database Developer. There's an average $20k difference in their salaries in the US. What I really do is develop databases, but I put down DBA on my resume 'cause I want the big bucks, not that I've seen them yet.

That's interesting. It's different here - DBA is more junior - in fact many people regard the 'admin' as someone who just changes the tapes...:-)

Change tapes? People chenge tapes? :w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Grant Fritchey (3/25/2010)

Heck better Database Administrator than Database Developer. There's an average $20k difference in their salaries in the US. What I really do is develop databases, but I put down DBA on my resume 'cause I want the big bucks, not that I've seen them yet.

That's interesting. It's different here - DBA is more junior - in fact many people regard the 'admin' as someone who just changes the tapes...:-)

My title used to be Switch Engineer( Telco Engineer). At the time I was a manager running a large telephone switch. 1/2 my time was spent "administering" SQL Server and Informix databases used for billing and reporting of the Call records. The engineering became less and the DBA work became more. There was a change in management and I had the worst CIO I've ever worked with as a boss. I put my resume out there looking for Switch Engineer job and didn't have a single hit for 6 months. The CIO one day changed my title to DBA so I changed it on my resume and had a new job within 2 days. I haven't really looked back since and really enjoy working with data over the engineering side of things. I remember going in for the interview thinking I wasn't qualified, stated that too them only to find out that from the 100's of candidates I was the most qualified and made the DBA team lead a few weeks after being hired.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Trey Staker (3/25/2010)

I'm not huge on tittles so I've never bothered to have it changed.

It's not the title so much - I don't recall ever having DBA as a job title (no jokes please, people!)...

People in general tend to pigeon-hole everyone that works with databases as an 'administrator'.

I don't know...something about it just grates on me a little.

Probably just venting...as you were.

I can see that. True, not everyone who works with databases is an admin. Some think they are, but are nowhere close. Others are very good DB developers.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Alvin Ramard (3/25/2010)

Change tapes? People chenge tapes? :w00t:

Not here. Are they the size of 8 track tapes, or the old reel-to-reel 1/4 inch numbers? And I agree, DBAs in the US do command more money but most are worth it. Corporate data/lifeblood of the business? Personally I wouldn't trust only a "junior" to that task. Perhaps he/she is fine in a backup role, learning the tricks of the trade but you really do need a seasoned veteran to ensure the availability and integrity of the data, the performance of the system, security, etc., etc.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Okay, the Missing Cert thread is starting to get political under tones as well.

• Yup - time to unsubscribe.

Learn Extended Events

• I pretend I'm a DBA, but like Grant I'm more of a Database Developer, who wants to be a DBA. I actuallyu just finished a discussion with one of my bosses (don't ask as it would take too long to explain) about how I believe I'm underutilized by the enterprise and need to be more involved in the administration of data across the enterprise, even though that might mean I don't do as much other development work. Her brought up the the term DBA for the enterprise, and I said, "Yeah, that's where I'm going with it". I'm still not sure I did the right thing as now I could end up being responsible and that's not something I've got much practice at :w00t:

I actually now have to present what I think I should be doing. Anyone have a DBA Job description they want to share? 😉

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Anybody have some links for SQL tutorials for a newbie?

• Trey Staker (3/24/2010)

Funny how things happen. I was just working on a nightly process to do something like this. Do you mind if I borrow your code and modify it to work for my enterprise?

Not at all, that's why I posted it. Thanks Jason for the upgrade!

Chad

• GSquared (3/24/2010)

jcrawf02 (3/24/2010)

Tom Brown-169591 (3/24/2010)

I know our Hero - Steve Jones - drops by here occasionally (does flattery get you anywhere here?)

We wouldn't know if flattery works, we're too busy making fun of each other. Like the Amish guy who ate Gus, or the Canadian chipmunk.:-P

An Amish DBA .... hmmmm .... I guess he'd have LinkedIn connections to a Catholic Abortionist, a Muslim Pork-Butcher, and an Atheist Theologian.

Or you could try the public high school both of my sons graduated from, who's mascot is the Moorestown Quakers, otherwise popularly known as (you guessed it,) the "Fightin' Quakers". Boy do I love their cheers... :hehe:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Lynn Pettis (3/25/2010)

GilaMonster (3/25/2010)

Here's an interesting opinion on braindumps.

"The software complaints [about the use of braindumps] are more from the elites trying to keep people out."

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost889310.aspx

Is it me or is she always such a negative nellie?

No, that's not quite how I would put it. I would say however, that there are some people who clearly create the vast majority of their own problems yet live their entire lives in a blissful crusade of blaming everyone else in the universe for it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• RBarryYoung (3/25/2010)

No, that's not quite how I would put it. I would say however, that there are some people who clearly create the vast majority of their own problems yet live their entire lives in a blissful crusade of blaming everyone else in the universe for it.

There are plenty of those types throughout the universe.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (3/25/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/25/2010)

Is it me or is she always such a negative nellie?

It's not you.

Remember the discussions on women in IT and how she reacts in those. There's a reason I commended here but didn't take it up there.

Yeah, I do remember that, something to the effect of "women aren't allowed to make it in graduate school in the U.S." How this claim is supposed to square with the documented fact that most graduate degrees in the U.S. are in fact awarded to women is beyond me, but I had to bite my tongue until I bled white not to respond to that simply because I was the wrong gender to defend that point.

However, after that, I resolved that I was no longer going to let this self-serving schizophrenic paranoid raving BS, covered in passive-aggressive denigration of everyone else and largely incoherent equivocating English go unchallenged unless there was some actual helping of someone going on (and there very rarely is).

[/font]

• GilaMonster (3/25/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (3/25/2010)

ARID = Alternate Reality ID.

I believe it's parameter 117, but I'd have to confirm that with Gail.

From what I recall, it's 117 if in a closed universe, 118 if in an open universe, and both if the universe is in a steady-state.

Unless P=NP, then you've got to use negative numbers.

[/font]

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/25/2010)

RBarryYoung (3/25/2010)

There are plenty of those types throughout the universe.

Not like this person. Seriously, I've known my share too, but on a scale from 1 to 10, said person is about a 12.5. Just track their previous posts sometime if you don't believe me, they are relentless and monomaniacal about it.

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 13,336 through 13,350 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply