Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/26/2010)

Sad thing is I also put that same quote in slightly different context in that cert thread too - same time.

Saw that, trying to figure out what you meant by it...

Nothing serious - just running the Oddball quote out.

If it makes people stop and think for a second - then all the better.

Made me think. Thought I had said something not right earlier (but then that is totally possible).

I got to see if i have the movie at home. I think I do on VHS. Would be worth watching again.

Sorry about that.

Sidenote, you did say something constructive there.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/26/2010)

I wish I had an invisibility button for some posts.

Well you started it :-P[/quote]

HAHA

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Kit G (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Paul White NZ (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Think she'll catch the reference to Kelly's Heroes?

Wasn't Oddball the one that complained about 'all the negative waves, man?'

I forget who was being negative in the film.

You are right, Moriarty was the one with all the negative thoughts and Oddball was the one complaining about it.

And an awesome film it is. I love the showdown between Clint, Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland and a German tank. If I am remembering correctly, the tumbleweed that passes by is the final touch on that scene.

See, and I thought you were just calling her (and then yourself) an oddball, and then referencing Sherlock Holmes lore (you elitist you). I've seen the movie, but it's been a really long time.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• The Dixie Flatline (3/26/2010)

Lynn, I assume it would be unhelpful for me to join that discussion and suggest indentured servitude?

Damn, choking to death, would be SOM if I had anything in my mouth. Definitely not, especially with your nickname.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (3/26/2010)

Kit G (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Paul White NZ (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Think she'll catch the reference to Kelly's Heroes?

Wasn't Oddball the one that complained about 'all the negative waves, man?'

I forget who was being negative in the film.

You are right, Moriarty was the one with all the negative thoughts and Oddball was the one complaining about it.

And an awesome film it is. I love the showdown between Clint, Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland and a German tank. If I am remembering correctly, the tumbleweed that passes by is the final touch on that scene.

See, and I thought you were just calling her (and then yourself) an oddball, and then referencing Sherlock Holmes lore (you elitist you). I've seen the movie, but it's been a really long time.

Years ago at an employer in Denver we had three servers: Oddball, Moriarity, and Crapgame. These were the original servers we started with when we were looking at MS SQL Server 6.5 and Borland InterBase. SQL Server on NT and InterBase on SCO Unix. SQL Server won, but based on the difficulty of using InterBase and the ODBC with VB. It was easier to write VB against SQL SErver.

Crapgame, it turns out was appropriately named. Move the mouse on the system while the disk was heavily accessed, froze the system and the only way to fix was the reset button. Turned out the dual processor motherboard in the system was not on the MS HCL. Changed it out with an Intel motherboard and everything worked great.

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Years ago at an employer in Denver we had three servers: Oddball, Moriarity, and Crapgame. These were the original servers we started with when we were looking at MS SQL Server 6.5 and Borland InterBase. SQL Server on NT and InterBase on SCO Unix. SQL Server won, but based on the difficulty of using InterBase and the ODBC with VB. It was easier to write VB against SQL SErver.

Crapgame, it turns out was appropriately named. Move the mouse on the system while the disk was heavily accessed, froze the system and the only way to fix was the reset button. Turned out the dual processor motherboard in the system was not on the MS HCL. Changed it out with an Intel motherboard and everything worked great.

lol we just moved from servers named 'Laforge' and 'Worf' to more structured names that tell you (supposedly) what they do and where they live.

I guess your server names just depend which TV show/movie you're a fan of.

• jcrawf02 (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

lol we just moved from servers named 'Laforge' and 'Worf' to more structured names that tell you (supposedly) what they do and where they live.

At the time at that particular employer, your right. Where I work now, the server names pretty much tell you the servers do; SQL Server, application servers, web servers, file servers, etc.

• good rule of on-line argumentation: Never hit to my forearm.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• jcrawf02 (3/26/2010)

Myrlin, Camelot and Excalibur here, though those are my personal machines, not work servers

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I think I'll name my first crew Yakko, Wakko and Dot when I get to that point 😀

• jcrawf02 (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

I worked for a pulp and paper company and our production servers were named after indigenous trees (Oak, Poplar, Dogwood, etc....) and our dev servers were Bond villains (DrNo, OddJob, Goldfinger, etc....).

Where I am now it is role based naming, I hate it.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Only memorable ones I have are WAY back in the early nineties at Merrill Lynch one of our Unix admins was a star gazer. We had Betelguese & Rigel that I remember and a bunch of others that I don't.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Wow, is Buck reading The Thread? Looks like he posted this just for Lynn/Barry...

http://blogs.msdn.com/buckwoody/archive/2010/03/26/quote-of-the-day-on-when-not-to-say-something.aspx

• Just curious, but can anyone else figure out what she is saying here?

• Our first server, a Sybase server, was named Fred, after the junkman on a 70's sitcom. The name certainly fit the server! And when the CIO found out what it was named, well after that names were related to what was actually running on the server, making things a little boring (SQL01, SQLDEV01, APPSRV01, etc.).

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Viewing 15 posts - 13,456 through 13,470 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply