Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Just curious, but can anyone else figure out what she is saying here?

I think that "to be positive" should be ", to be sure,"

methinks it's an admission that the concept of 'education as a privilege' is something to think about more. EDIT - although I appear to be wrong... /EDIT

Which is her privilege. (couldn't resist)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

I think that my previous two replies on that thread pretty much explained anything that Oddball ever has (or likely ever will) say*.

She doesn't really want to be completely intelligible, that makes it nearly impossible to refute these schizo tangents as she can always claim that she didn't say/mean/intend that and that you misinterpreted her. So don't. Just tell her that she's not making any sense.

*(??? Hmmm, I can never figure out what verb tense I'm supposed to use for these mixed tense sentences ... ???)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

I think that my previous two replies on that thread pretty much explained anything that Oddball ever has (or likely ever will) say*.

She doesn't really want to be completely intelligible, that makes it nearly impossible to refute them as she can always claim that she didn't say/mean/intend that and that you misinterpreted her. So don't. Just tell her that she's not making any sense.

*(??? Hmmm, I can never figure out what verb tense I'm supposed to use for these mixed tense sentences ... ???)

One minor change, Oddball is now Moriarity. Must think Kelly's Heros and I got the characters mixed up at first.

• Alvin Ramard (3/25/2010)

Paul White NZ (3/25/2010)

Grant Fritchey (3/25/2010)

Heck better Database Administrator than Database Developer. There's an average $20k difference in their salaries in the US. What I really do is develop databases, but I put down DBA on my resume 'cause I want the big bucks, not that I've seen them yet.

That's interesting. It's different here - DBA is more junior - in fact many people regard the 'admin' as someone who just changes the tapes...:-)

Change tapes? People chenge tapes? :w00t:

Sure. Beats all heck out of swapping dozens of floppies.

• Loved Kelly's Heroes. I still remember Oddball walking up to the German tank and unfastening his holster to be ready for a quick draw.

With respect to dealing with nebulous critiques and heckling, my advice is simply to not respond, and not comment on such behaviors at all. Any attention only rewards it. Ignored, it becomes extinguished.

Unless you're just having fun arguing. I don't want to break up a good time 😀

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• RBarryYoung (3/25/2010)

GilaMonster (3/25/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (3/25/2010)

ARID = Alternate Reality ID.

I believe it's parameter 117, but I'd have to confirm that with Gail.

From what I recall, it's 117 if in a closed universe, 118 if in an open universe, and both if the universe is in a steady-state.

Unless P=NP, then you've got to use negative numbers.

Hmmm. I'd always been taught that those cases would require the i (square root of -1) operand. Or was someone pulling my leg?

• john.arnott (3/26/2010)

RBarryYoung (3/25/2010)

GilaMonster (3/25/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (3/25/2010)

ARID = Alternate Reality ID.

I believe it's parameter 117, but I'd have to confirm that with Gail.

From what I recall, it's 117 if in a closed universe, 118 if in an open universe, and both if the universe is in a steady-state.

Unless P=NP, then you've got to use negative numbers.

Hmmm. I'd always been taught that those cases would require the i (square root of -1) operand. Or was someone pulling my leg?

Heh. No, sorry John, that's imaginary.

:-D:-D:-D:-D

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

I've followed that whole thread and a few others that she's been on like that. I rarely understand what she says.

I am a terrible writter and usually have a ton of grammer errors so I might be the pot calling the kettle black. But my dear departed father always warned me to "Say what you mean and mean what you say."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

I've followed that whole thread and a few others that she's been on like that. I rarely understand what she says.

I am a terrible writter and usually have a ton of grammer errors so I might be the pot calling the kettle black. But my dear departed father always warned me to "Say what you mean and mean what you say."

Wise man.

• Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Mine just said "Hold the light. No, not there, THERE!"

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Mine just said "Hold the light. No, not there, THERE!"

Wow, that sounds familiar 😉 You're not my long lost brother are you?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• [font="Comic Sans MS"]Party at the TitD.[/font]

Frustration levels going up.

Please, someone hit me with a pork or ten if I was ever really condescending. But when your done, please explain to me how and why so I can work on it and become better.

Edit: And I mean at NOT being condescending.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Party at the TitD.[/font]

Frustration levels going up.

Please, someone hit me with a pork or ten if I was ever really condescending. But when your done, please explain to me how and why so I can work on it and become better.

Edit: And I mean at NOT being condescending.

I've been following that thread (and not entering it). Lynn, I don't think you were condescending, you were asking for clarification. I also didn't realy understand what she was trying to get across and she didn't take the time to clarify her prior posts, just to comment on new ones. I couldn't tell you what the technical flaw was that she spotted immediately.

-- Kit

• Luke L (3/26/2010)

Mine just said "Hold the light. No, not there, THERE!"

Wow, that sounds familiar 😉 You're not my long lost brother are you?

You don't have a long lost brother, you have a long lost sister; man, didn't you watch the movies?:w00t:

• I am off for Texas for a week, directly opposite from a point several thousand miles southeast of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean, y'all enjoy yourselves, and I look forward to reams of stimulating un-scussion that I will promptly read rather than doing my homework of a night on my return. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 13,471 through 13,485 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply