Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (3/26/2010)

Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

Just curious, but can anyone else figure out what she is saying here?

I've followed that whole thread and a few others that she's been on like that. I rarely understand what she says.

I am a terrible writter and usually have a ton of grammer errors so I might be the pot calling the kettle black. But my dear departed father always warned me to "Say what you mean and mean what you say."

Mine just said "Hold the light. No, not there, THERE!"

He said that too...lol. Lucky for me kids nowadays we have snake lights and flashlights that strap to the head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• GilaMonster (3/26/2010)

jcrawf02 (3/26/2010)

I guess your server names just depend which TV show/movie you're a fan of.

Myrlin, Camelot and Excalibur here, though those are my personal machines, not work servers

One company I worked at had named their AD domain DogKennel and all the servers had dog breeds as names. BullDog was their main OLTP database, there were also servers named pug, shepard, chiuaua, poodle. There were other but I always mis-spell those breeds.

Use Full Links:

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/26/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/26/2010)

Lynn,

I think you need to ignore the posts that aren't on topic in the cert thread. Just skip them like they are not present.

I wish I had an invisibility button for some posts.

I think he is having too much fun with it now:hehe::hehe:

Nah, he just found an easy way to rack up the posting points... between that thread and this one, he must have a hundred posts just today... :hehe:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Kit G (3/26/2010)

[... I also didn't realy understand what she was trying to get across and she didn't take the time to clarify her prior posts, just to comment on new ones. I couldn't tell you what the technical flaw was that she spotted immediately.

Has anyone ever met her? I have a new theory. Maybe she writes in english really well but likes to translate what she says through an online transalator to a different language then filter it back to english to try and hide who she really is? Probably not...but the thought made me laugh so I thought I'd share it.

Use Full Links:

• Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Kit G (3/26/2010)

[... I also didn't realy understand what she was trying to get across and she didn't take the time to clarify her prior posts, just to comment on new ones. I couldn't tell you what the technical flaw was that she spotted immediately.

Has anyone ever met her? I have a new theory. Maybe she writes in english really well but likes to translate what she says through an online transalator to a different language then filter it back to english to try and hide who she really is? Probably not...but the thought made me laugh so I thought I'd share it.

I was actually think BabelFish myself at one point, but I doubt it.

• WayneS (3/26/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/26/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/26/2010)

Lynn,

I think you need to ignore the posts that aren't on topic in the cert thread. Just skip them like they are not present.

I wish I had an invisibility button for some posts.

I think he is having too much fun with it now:hehe::hehe:

Nah, he just found an easy way to rack up the posting points... between that thread and this one, he must have a hundred posts just today... :hehe:

Nah, I don't think I got that many, but I may be getting close. 😛

• Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Kit G (3/26/2010)

I don't think that there is anything accidental or language-limited about them at all. I have quite a lot of experience with logical and argumentative analysis of English text, and my opinion based on the application of that experience is that these posts are not in any way the product of accident or misunderstanding. Further, I have in the past given her the opportunity to accept language barrier as the cause misunderstandings about her posts. She explicitly rejected this offer claiming "second generation" competence at English, so until she is more forthcoming, I have no problem holding her fully accountable for what she says, just as we would any other regular member who claims mastery of English.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (3/26/2010)

Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Kit G (3/26/2010)

I don't think that there is anything accidental or language-limited about them at all. I have quite a lot of experience with logical and argumentative analysis of English text, and my opinion based on the application of that experience is that these posts are not in any way the product of accident or misunderstanding. Further, I have in the past given her the opportunity to accept language barrier as the cause misunderstandings about her posts. She explicitly rejected this offer claiming "second generation" competence at English, so until she is more forthcoming, I have no problem holding her fully accountable for what she says, just as we would any other regular member who claims mastery of English.

You're probably right. I did take my quote above and run it through english to spanish translator, because I am fluent in spanish I wanted to see how it translated out. Then I translated from spanish to finnish. I chose finnish randomly. Then I translated it back to English.

Here are the results:

Has anyone seen? I have a new theory. Maybe it's written in English very well, but she likes to translate what he says through the online transalator a different language is filtered back to England to try to hide who is really? Probably not ... but the idea made me laugh so I thought I'd share it.

This was done with google translator

This was done with google translator[/url]

Use Full Links:

• I was bored and curious so I translated the transalation from finish to Chinese traditional to Irish then back to english:

Anyone who has ever seen? I have a new theory. Perhaps this is written in English is very good, but she liked what he said, translated into various languages through online transalator back trying to cover up the United Kingdom is that true? Maybe not ... but this idea made me laughing, so I think I have some.

Use Full Links:

Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Kit G (3/26/2010)

I don't know much about that - however, the few times I have dealt with her it was very apparent that she has a very large chip on her shoulder. Besides, I have found that she tends to answer questions from the OP's with subjects that have nothing to do with the question.

When called on her assertions - she gets very defensive, even when she has answered a question that was not asked. Oh well...

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

Going on 15 for me. Feels like about 5 - until I try to remember details of those early years. It's hard to remember facts from 15 years ago, let alone 4.

Coming up on 24 this September. First 4 dragged compared to the last 20. Having kids makes time fly apparently.

Grant Fritchey (3/22/2010)

Don't know about Gus, but I'm coming up on 22 years this fall.

My 15th is in October.

As for the kids, I agree that they really make the time fly a lot faster.

As does...beer. I think Dave Atell has called that "time travel"....:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (3/26/2010)

RBarryYoung (3/26/2010)

Trey Staker (3/26/2010)

Kit G (3/26/2010)

I don't know much about that - however, the few times I have dealt with her it was very apparent that she has a very large chip on her shoulder. Besides, I have found that she tends to answer questions from the OP's with subjects that have nothing to do with the question.

When called on her assertions - she gets very defensive, even when she has answered a question that was not asked. Oh well...

Yep, I think you got it right on the nose.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2010)

I know enough about basketball to teach kids to dribble, pass, and shoot. Tactics, maybe man-to-man defense at a limited level.

BWAA-HAAA!!! I'm getting old so all I can do is teach them to dribble without getting any on myself. 😛

I can teach them to "pass", as well, but they normally leave the area when I do. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

I think that my previous two replies on that thread pretty much explained anything that Moriarty ever has (or likely ever will) say*.

*(??? Hmmm, I can never figure out what verb tense I'm supposed to use for these mixed tense sentences ... ???)

Well, I am no expert, but this looks like you need the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Subjuntive Intentional.

For further details, see Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's book, "The Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations".

One other good discussion: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42195

• Server names.

One of the best places I have ever worked, had servers named after beers.

Viewing 15 posts - 13,486 through 13,500 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply