Are the posted questions getting worse?

• [font="Verdana"]Winks turning up in the code? I think the combination of tab-close bracket does it. I've started replacing tab characters in my posted code with spaces. That helps the formatting too.

I'd really like to have just one notification from a thread that's received a post, until I go visit the thread, rather than one per entry. That way I wouldn't have to wade through hundreds of emails.

Can we have intellisense in the code section? 😛

[/font]

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/18/2009)

Since this thread seems to be the most popular, a question:

What features would really help you "high posters" here at SSC? Changes to the forums? the site?

A few I've seen requested:

- More threads listed in the Active threads link

- Add a thread to your briefcase

- bundle notifications (by hour/day)

- code formatting (cut / paste and/or color coding)

Others?

I'm not a "high poster" (but I am really enjoying this thread) - but I heartily second the "Add a thread to your briefcase" and "bundle notifications" requests.

Thanks,

marianne

What features would really help you "high posters" here at SSC? Changes to the forums? the site?

Can you ask for one small change please. Remove the "Forum jump" drop down that's at the bottom of every single page.

With all the "discuss content by.." forums included in that drop down, it's 150kB that's added to every page request. I don't know what it's doing to your bandwidth, but I know what it's doing to mine.

Please? For the sake of those who don't have broadband, uncapped internet access?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Bruce W Cassidy ....

Can we have intellisense in the code section? 😛

Ooops, I misread that at first. I thought Bruce was asking for intelligence in the code section.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Roy Ernest (2/18/2009)

That is if I use the "Less than" and "Greater Than" symbol to denote Server Name or Table Name to be replaced with your own, that part just vanishes from the post. If that could be fixed, it would be great.

& lt ; and & gt ; (remove spaces) work very well, though they do take more typing

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Alvin Ramard (2/18/2009)

Ooops, I misread that at first. I thought Bruce was asking for intelligence in the code section.

[font="Verdana"]No. I was asking for the impossible, not the implausible.[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/18/2009)

Alvin Ramard (2/18/2009)

[font="Verdana"]No. I was asking for the impossible, not the implausible.[/font]

Oh please, we work in IT. The impossible only takes a little longer.

• I vote with Bruce, it would be nice to get a summary every hour or half hour that just says "New activity in the following threads you belong to." Over half my emails come from this thread alone 😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Since this thread seems to be the most popular, a question:

A few I've seen requested:

- More threads listed in the Active threads link

- Add a thread to your briefcase

- bundle notifications (by hour/day)

- code formatting (cut / paste and/or color coding)

Others?

The only thing I'd add to that is the ability to search based on # of replies as I prefer to read and try to help folks who have not had any replies yet. Or you could just add a page for posts with no replies. I usually use Active Threads and find plenty, but on weekends/holidays sometimes that is sparse and most have plenty of activity so I go through each forum and sort by replies ascending.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Lynn Pettis (2/18/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (2/18/2009)

Alvin Ramard (2/18/2009)

I'm sorry, but since we work in IT, it doesn't take longer.

You just sleep a whole lot less......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (2/18/2009)

Lynn Pettis (2/18/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (2/18/2009)

Alvin Ramard (2/18/2009)

I'm sorry, but since we work in IT, it doesn't take longer.

You just sleep a whole lot less......

Same thing from a different point of view.

• Undocumented system stored procedure: sys.sp_MSGoBackInTime ??

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (2/18/2009)

Undocumented system stored procedure: sys.sp_MSGoBackInTime ??

[font="Verdana"]Oh, the same one you use when you discover that the DBA hasn't tested the backups.

Didn't they lock that down in SQL Server 2008, to prevent people going back too far and ending up running Windows 3 again? I think you have to enable it in the configuration tool.[/font]

• Sleep? What's that?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GilaMonster (2/18/2009)

Roy Ernest (2/18/2009)

That is if I use the "Less than" and "Greater Than" symbol to denote Server Name or Table Name to be replaced with your own, that part just vanishes from the post. If that could be fixed, it would be great.

& lt ; and & gt ; (remove spaces) work very well, though they do take more typing

Didn't think of those. Yes, they work. But I'm used to copy-and-pasting my code from SSMS into the forums. Every time that includes some XML, it disappears, and I usually don't notice that till it's already posted. Then I have to go in and edit.

Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I like copy-and-paste for that. Then I know, if I've tested the code, that what I'm posting is exactly what I tested.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 1,426 through 1,440 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply