Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gail,

Page size is definitely on my list. I'll see if we can't whack that.

• Intellisense? Not sure about that one, but I have a copy of SQL Prompt I can sell you ....:P

• Steve, one query about Active Threads. Some article discussion threads appear in that and some don't. Is that intentional?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Don't think so. They should all appear, but I'll ask the ?

• I assume with the code formatting we'll be able to put a semi-colon in the code without having to sweat getting smiley faces:

SELECT * FROM (SELECT * FROM dbo.MyTable);

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GSquared (2/18/2009)

Didn't think of those. Yes, they work. But I'm used to copy-and-pasting my code from SSMS into the forums. Every time that includes some XML, it disappears, and I usually don't notice that till it's already posted. Then I have to go in and edit.

Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I like copy-and-paste for that. Then I know, if I've tested the code, that what I'm posting is exactly what I tested.

I have to agree. I fat finger far too much stuff as it is. If I've tested the code, I want to copy & paste it without edits or any of it disappearing.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Roy Ernest (2/18/2009)

For me this is how it goes... I at first had problem with BOL, because the functions were different from Oracle. So it was frustrating. Now I have the knowledge in MS SQL, I can look up almost anything in BOL. But I always like to see a sample code so that I know what the heck they mean... 😉

About STAR and RATS, I prefer RATS. If we can have KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) as part of project management, we can have RATS... 😛

Heh... just don't kiss the rats. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• BobAtDBS (2/18/2009)

Dear Learned Ones:

I need help with a SQL Server problem. I don't understand exactly what's going on, or what I should be expecting, but my co-worker said I should ask the experts and see if anyone has any suggestions to make my SQL Server run better.

Thanks in advance.

No problem... just hit the "Run SQL Fast" button. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/18/2009)

Since this thread seems to be the most popular, a question:

What features would really help you "high posters" here at SSC? Changes to the forums? the site?

A few I've seen requested:

- More threads listed in the Active threads link

- Add a thread to your briefcase

- bundle notifications (by hour/day)

- code formatting (cut / paste and/or color coding)

Others?

I've got a couple of ideas that I'd like to see... gimme a day or two to write them up.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• More interview fun.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic659105-360-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I know I haven't always been a beaming icon of knowledge and made my fair share of dumb or irrelevant suggestions (trying to be consilatory) but, is it just me or are the posted answers getting worse ? Am I just missing something, please tell me I'm not going bonkers or for a walk in the enchanted forest, that I did indeed take the red pill. :blink:

Max

• Max, I barely give good suggestions:ermm:

My knowledge is not soo high. But I try to learn from the mistakes I make when someone corrects me or give a better Suggestion.

Yesterday it happened. OP wanted to know if there was any way that she could Audit SP changes, So I gave her the DDL Trigger option. Yea, it works, but GSquared came with a better idea. use the Default Trace. So I learnt. So I am thankful and also embarrassed when I make stupid comments... 😛

-Roy

• GilaMonster (2/19/2009)

More interview fun.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic659105-360-1.aspx

We do get quite a bit of these in SSC.. Dont we?

My problem is the management says I am too tough when giving interviews. I am not an SQL expert. But when I am going to interview a Sr DBA who is self claimed expert, I want him/her have better knowledge than me. Do you think that it is not fair? The Management thinks so. An I have no intention of handing over the Production DB to a person who does not know more than me....

-Roy

• For many years now I've been doing interviews for senior level DBA's and I've consistently received resumes with between 5-10 years of experience from people. These individuals don't know the difference between a clustered & non-clustered index. They can't tell you the difference between simple & full recovery. They don't know what a deadlock is (and instead usually describe blocking). It's pretty frustrating. It makes me wonder what people do all day at these jobs they've been slogging away at for years.

• Roy Ernest (2/19/2009)

My problem is the management says I am too tough when giving interviews.

My former management used to tell me the same thing. So I expect that people know what they claim to know. Why's that tough?

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1,441 through 1,455 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply