Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

Now, does anybody know how to get rid of morning glory?

:blink:

Check the last definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory_(disambiguation)

• Paul White NZ (4/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

Check the last definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory_(disambiguation)

Well I can't see what you're on about. Must be a rare defect of the optic nerve.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (4/22/2010)

Well I can't see what you're on about. Must be a rare defect of the optic nerve.

SOM

• Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Pity that Brent will get kicked out of the MVP club so soon after his MCM... 😛

And now for something completely different...

Any advice on ridding my lawn of the pesky dandelion? Last year I chose to uproot, out of sheer idiocy I suppose, choosing to just extract them as I found them, while realizing I was not solving the problem. (Work harder, not smarter - which by the way, have you guys seen the Scotts article where they dynamited them and they still grew back? classic...)

This year I waffled back and forth between fertilizer that is supposed to kill 'em and just killing 'em, and landed on the side of Roundup. (ahhh...liquid death...)

Course now I gots brown spots. (On some, apparently I was trigger-shy on the rest of them, and they just look kind of depressed instead of dead)

Any thoughts?

Chemical warfare... that or take off & nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

lol thanks. What was that compound that makes sand burn again? :hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Any advice on ridding my lawn of the pesky dandelion? Last year I chose to uproot, out of sheer idiocy I suppose, choosing to just extract them as I found them, while realizing I was not solving the problem. (Work harder, not smarter - which by the way, have you guys seen the Scotts article where they dynamited them and they still grew back? classic...)

This year I waffled back and forth between fertilizer that is supposed to kill 'em and just killing 'em, and landed on the side of Roundup. (ahhh...liquid death...)

Course now I gots brown spots. (On some, apparently I was trigger-shy on the rest of them, and they just look kind of depressed instead of dead)

Any thoughts?

Chemical warfare... that or take off & nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

lol thanks. What was that compound that makes sand burn again? :hehe:

Thermite?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Any thoughts?

Scotts usually works for me.

Yup Scotts or True Green or whatever seems to work for the Dandelions, either that or pay some hapless youngin to pick them all before they go to seed and make some dandelion wine? You'll want to put anything like this down roughly 2 weeks prior to reseeding your brown spots as most of the Pre/Post emergent weed controllers will kill off your new grass as well.

As for morning glory, and this probably isn't the best advice given that it's Earth day here in the US, but... your local big box hardware store (Lowes, HD, whatever you guys have out west) sells stuff that specifically says on the label, "Guaranteed to kill anything green". While I've never used it on Morning glory, I've treated Creeping trumpet vines with it with some success. basically I dug out as much of the root as possible then poured it directly on the tap root. The next year a couple of shoots came up which also got dowsed with the stuff and I've been rid of it ever since. You will have to replant any grass that is around it though...

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Chris Morris-439714 (4/22/2010)

SOM

Som, an alternative name for the Hungarian wine grape Furmint?

SOM

White phosphorous? I'm not sure, that could be overkill.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Gianluca Sartori (4/21/2010)

I've seen even worse things in my app (Visual Basic):

Public const SC AS String = "'" 'Yes, you got it right, it's a single quote

' Everywhere in the code at least 1000 times:

sql = "SELECT someField FROM someTable WHERE someField = " & SC & variable & SC

Nice, isn't it?

I've seen stuff like that many times.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Any thoughts?

Looking at my lawn with a view to mowing last weekend, and I noticed where a firework had fallen, and lain there since bonfire night, it had killed off a couple of dandylions - killed the grass too.

When I was a kid I spent an afternoon blowtorching the centre of all the danylions in the lawn - but I can't remember if they came back or not, but it was fun.

But now they're all in flower my wife won't let me use the Roundup - which kills the grass just as effectively as it kills dandylions, if not more quickly so.

• Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (4/21/2010)

Nice, isn't it?

It's strange to note that this doesn't diturb any of you. I simply hate it.

-- Gianluca Sartori

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Any thoughts?

Scotts usually works for me.

Why would you want to?

• Chris Morris-439714 (4/22/2010)

Paul White NZ (4/22/2010)

SOM

Som, an alternative name for the Hungarian wine grape Furmint?

SOM = Spewing On Monitor (with a mouthful of the beverage of your choice)

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Gianluca Sartori (4/22/2010)

Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

Nice, isn't it?

Oh I hate it, but it's just one more thing on the pile. Try looking at nHibernate queries for a little while. This will look positively intelligent.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Gianluca Sartori (4/22/2010)

Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

<snipped>

Nice, isn't it?

I wouldn't write it in new code, but Its perfectly reasonable to leave it in existing programs. Everyone had to learn sometime, but consider this - the developer may first have used a perfectly reasonable Public const DC = """" As String in VB6 - then simply copied the idea into .NET. Mixing a few metaphors: Think of the hoops your code used to jump through before you got sliced bread.

Viewing 15 posts - 14,656 through 14,670 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply