Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gianluca Sartori (4/22/2010)

Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (4/21/2010)

I've seen even worse things in my app (Visual Basic):

Public const SC AS String = "'" 'Yes, you got it right, it's a single quote

' Everywhere in the code at least 1000 times:

sql = "SELECT someField FROM someTable WHERE someField = " & SC & variable & SC

Nice, isn't it?

I've seen stuff like that many times.

It's strange to note that this doesn't diturb any of you. I simply hate it.

Oh, it's disturbs me... it's just one of those things that I have very little control over, and I try not to sweat the small stuff.

Now, that sp_Nothing would never make it into my db... :w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Tom Brown (4/22/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (4/22/2010)

Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

<snipped>

Nice, isn't it?

I wouldn't write it in new code, but Its perfectly reasonable to leave it in existing programs. Everyone had to learn sometime, but consider this - the developer may first have used a perfectly reasonable Public const DC = """" As String in VB6 - then simply copied the idea into .NET. Mixing a few metaphors: Think of the hoops your code used to jump through before you got sliced bread.

You're going too far with your assumptions, Tom...

Unfortunately, it still IS VB6!!!! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Paul White NZ (4/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

Now, does anybody know how to get rid of morning glory?

:blink:

Check the last definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory_(disambiguation)

:blink:

:hehe:

I had never heard that one before - and am still laughing.

I meant the weed / flower.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Chris Morris-439714 (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Pity that Brent will get kicked out of the MVP club so soon after his MCM... 😛

And now for something completely different...

Any advice on ridding my lawn of the pesky dandelion? Last year I chose to uproot, out of sheer idiocy I suppose, choosing to just extract them as I found them, while realizing I was not solving the problem. (Work harder, not smarter - which by the way, have you guys seen the Scotts article where they dynamited them and they still grew back? classic...)

This year I waffled back and forth between fertilizer that is supposed to kill 'em and just killing 'em, and landed on the side of Roundup. (ahhh...liquid death...)

Course now I gots brown spots. (On some, apparently I was trigger-shy on the rest of them, and they just look kind of depressed instead of dead)

Any thoughts?

Chemical warfare... that or take off & nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

lol thanks. What was that compound that makes sand burn again? :hehe:

Thermite?

Oooh thermite - we like thermite.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (4/22/2010)

Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

Nice, isn't it?

Oh, it's disturbs me... it's just one of those things that I have very little control over, and I try not to sweat the small stuff.

(Start Rant)

I don't know what it is like for you guys but for me it isn't so easy getting the crap code out of production. I only have access to the stored procs. I have to identify it, document it, monitor it, make the suggested change in a test enviorment the go through a whole change control process that only has 2 opportunities a year be implemented. Although stuff like this bothers me, I wouldn't have access to the vb code only to the stored procs. If it was hitting my sql server and I found it then there would be even more hoops and battles to go through to change it. The sp_nothing would definately make it to my radar, other procs almost as vile have. At the end of the day I have to decide weather the battle is worth fighting and if the performance or security increase is worth the time, energy and risk analisys. Most the code like this in our systems is fairly ancient and before we had the type of change control process we currently have. (End Rant)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/22/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Pity that Brent will get kicked out of the MVP club so soon after his MCM... 😛

And now for something completely different...

Any advice on ridding my lawn of the pesky dandelion? Last year I chose to uproot, out of sheer idiocy I suppose, choosing to just extract them as I found them, while realizing I was not solving the problem. (Work harder, not smarter - which by the way, have you guys seen the Scotts article where they dynamited them and they still grew back? classic...)

This year I waffled back and forth between fertilizer that is supposed to kill 'em and just killing 'em, and landed on the side of Roundup. (ahhh...liquid death...)

Course now I gots brown spots. (On some, apparently I was trigger-shy on the rest of them, and they just look kind of depressed instead of dead)

Any thoughts?

Chemical warfare... that or take off & nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

lol thanks. What was that compound that makes sand burn again? :hehe:

Thermite?

Oooh thermite - we like thermite.

Thermite was one of my WOW charcters. I followed a whole theme: Thermo, Thermite, Thermoine (My priestess), Thermy, Thermighty.

Use Full Links:

• Tom.Thomson (4/21/2010)

GabyYYZ (4/21/2010)

Please tell me THIS doesn't happen a lot...*groan*.

Why do you want people to lie to you?

Sometimes denial is all I have left. 🙁

Gaby

• Jason, Congrats. Brent Ozar is talking about you on his Blog[/url] and welcoming you in as a new blogger on SQLServerpedia.com

Use Full Links:

• Trey Staker (4/22/2010)

WayneS (4/22/2010)

Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

Nice, isn't it?

(Start Rant)

I don't know what it is like for you guys but for me it isn't so easy getting the crap code out of production. I only have access to the stored procs. I have to identify it, document it, monitor it, make the suggested change in a test enviorment the go through a whole change control process that only has 2 opportunities a year be implemented. Although stuff like this bothers me, I wouldn't have access to the vb code only to the stored procs. If it was hitting my sql server and I found it then there would be even more hoops and battles to go through to change it. The sp_nothing would definately make it to my radar, other procs almost as vile have. At the end of the day I have to decide weather the battle is worth fighting and if the performance or security increase is worth the time, energy and risk analisys. Most the code like this in our systems is fairly ancient and before we had the type of change control process we currently have. (End Rant)

I didn't say I liked it, I just said that it I've seen it. The Const for a single-quote almost makes sense, the problem is the concatenated SQL string. SQL Injection here I come.

I also agree that is can be hard to get crap code out of production. I had to deal with it in a job where my company was acquired and we had a third-party product forced on us (actually not a bad product), but the extensions via SP's added to the product by programmers in the acquiring company were horrible. I'd rewrite and make it perform better, then get called on the carpet for changing working code. It was crazy!

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• For those of you who asked to be kept in the loop, SQLSaturday #49 - Orlando will be October 16th. It's a little later than we originally wanted but there is one being planned for October 2nd somewhere else (not officially announced yet) so we wanted to leave a gap so speakers could possibly choose to do both.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Trying some type of 4-D weed killer here, will let you know if it kills dandelions. Mostly have it to try and remove leafy spurge from the pastures.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/22/2010)

Trying some type of 4-D weed killer here, will let you know if it kills dandelions. Mostly have it to try and remove leafy spurge from the pastures.

Why? Enjoy them.[/url] 🙂

Gaby

• You've got things on your property you want to get rid of? Gail did a great job of that this morning. It would work as well with vegetation though. 😀

Happy it turned out as well as it did Gail.

(Those of you that don't use Twitter don't know what you're missin.) 😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• We had a wet winter here in Phoenix and the weeds and wild flowers came out early. When I first moved back here I had a house with lots of grass and hated weeding.

Now I have a small grass patch 8'x15' surrounded by a brick separator then the rest of my property is all rock. I usually pull the weeds by hand in the lawn, fertilize it with anti-weed fertizer then put the strongest ground clear on the rocks. This year I've had to put the ground clear out 2 or 3 times and have had to pull some of the weeds by hand because of the type of winter we have had. It is hard to tell what are weeds and what are wildflowers.

On the bright side my grass is greener earlier than normal and the wild flowers out in the desert are really pretty. The spring here has been greener than I ever remember and the mountains (hills) have went from a desert brown to a lush green now to a yellow from all the wild flowers. Next up... fire season. :hehe:

Use Full Links:

• I've got Japanese Knotweed in the garden and no weed is worse 🙁

The extra strength Roundup 3000 from the local farmers supply store is now winning but it's the fifth year of applying and there's still new shoots popping up.

The only other cure I've heard for jap knotweed is to move house!

Viewing 15 posts - 14,671 through 14,685 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply