Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Dandelions. Hard radiation.... it will either kill them or mutate them to the point that they kill you.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• GSquared (4/22/2010)

Clorine triflouride

It's hypergolic with just about everything.

That's the one I was thinking of that you mentioned previously. The wikipedia entry is equal parts scary and hilarious, especially the quote for dealing with a leak.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• The Dixie Flatline (4/22/2010)

Dandelions. Hard radiation.... it will either kill them or mutate them to the point that they kill you.

You would suggest that 😛

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Alvin Ramard (4/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/22/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (4/22/2010)

You've got things on your property you want to get rid of? Gail did a great job of that this morning. It would work as well with vegetation though. 😀

Happy it turned out as well as it did Gail.

(Those of you that don't use Twitter don't know what you're missin.) 😀

I've tried that method on weeds... it doesn't work.

As Gail demonstrated, it works great on varmints, especially two-legged ones.

By the time I logged on - I couldn't find it. Far too many tweets. Gonna have to filter by Gail to see what transpired.

Here's the important parts of the conversation:

(Gail is SQLintheWild)

SQLintheWild: Wonderful, an attempted break-in, broad daylight while I was at home. Just what I need to make the week complete.

SQLintheWild: @GFritchey Fine. They took off when I opened the door they were trying to break through. Might have been the 3 foot sharp steel I had

SQLintheWild: @sqlcraftsman Well, when I heard them trying, I opened door with katana in hand. Might be why they ran so fast.

That is totally awesome.

Maaybe she should have been Elektra!!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Adam Machanic (4/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/20/2010)

Paul White NZ (4/19/2010)

I did not a few things, he still uses sysprocesses (I believe it is for the blocking process count), implements a ton of dynamic sql, uses 4 cursors, and has this little bit of code.

SELECT TOP(2147483647) ' + '*,...'

That nugget of code is interesting because I figured he would have been specific about the columns he wanted returned.

I just spent an hour crafting a very long and detailed reply to this and the forum errored out when I hit the Post button. So here's a quick and dirty summary of what I typed before:

I appreciate you still taking all that time to craft a response. I didn't mean any of those comments as a knock. It is quite an elaborate and useful script.

A) sysprocesses is used for three reasons: performance, the open trans column, and a bug with MARS. Regarding performance, due to all of the joins the DMVs can take literally minutes to return on overtaxed servers. Not the case with sysprocesses, which uses only a single iterator internally. Open trans column speaks for itself--no replacement. And since I try to write Who is Active to be compatible with as many SQL Server features as possible I need to support MARS. There is a bug where the tasks DMV doesn't always have the correct request_id, so I use the kpid from sysprocesses to work backward via the threads DMV.

The only reason I brought this up was that I was looking to do something strictly with >= 2005 objects. I totally get the reasons for using sysprocesses (several shortcomings of the DMVs - Kalen as pointed out a couple in regards to things missing from the dmvs that are in sysprocesses).

B) Cursors, used for a couple of reasons. First of all, the query_text and query_plan DMFs can block in a few cases, so a cursor is used there in conjunction with a very short lock timeout to ensure that the entire script doesn't ever have to wait. Having a monitoring script wait kind of defeats the purpose :-). Second, and in a similar vein, cursors are used whenever the script needs to go into a user database, since it's quite possible that the caller may not have access and/or that the database will no longer be online. I'd rather take a hit and use a cursor than have the entire script bomb.

I would have to say that I was a bit surprised to see them at first but quickly caught on as to the reasoning after looking a bit more.

C) I quite often use SELECT * in derived tables, since it will be optimized out by the outer query. Here's a quick example to illustrate:

Fair enough. That makes sense to me. It just struck me odd at first since you took so much care elsewhere to be so precise.

I'm happy to answer any more questions you might have. I'll stay subscribed to this thread for a couple of days (it's way too active for me to keep up beyond that), and after then feel free e-mail me. My e-mail address is in the script and I always love getting questions, comments, feature requests, etc. Only one feature has been requested that was possible that I didn't end up implementing, and that number will soon return to zero since it's currently the next one on my list.

Best,

Adam

Thanks Again for explaining everything.

Learn Extended Events

• The Dixie Flatline (4/22/2010)

Dandelions. Hard radiation.... it will either kill them or mutate them to the point that they kill you.

A rotation of cows then sheep. No problems after that.

And if you are really concerned, you could throw in a constant cycle of groundhogs.

Learn Extended Events

• woohoo! Brent's coming to cowtown!

• jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

woohoo! Brent's coming to cowtown!

What is twapperkeeper?

I'm sure it is supposed to bring back memories of the Trapper Keeper (how many here had one of those?).

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

What is twapperkeeper?

I'm sure it is supposed to bring back memories of the Trapper Keeper (how many here had one of those?).

Loved my Trapper Keeper. It archives tweets that you define (by keyword, hashtag or user). I set one up for sqlsat42 and one for 'free sql', which is fun, you have to hash through the junk, but lots of webinars and stuff show up there.

@sqlchicken has one for #sqlhelp, that's how I found out about it.

• jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

What is twapperkeeper?

Loved my Trapper Keeper. It archives tweets that you define (by keyword, hashtag or user). I set one up for sqlsat42 and one for 'free sql', which is fun, you have to hash through the junk, but lots of webinars and stuff show up there.

@sqlchicken has one for #sqlhelp, that's how I found out about it.

I'm going to need to do something like that.

It would be far easier than trying to wade through all of the tweets at the end of the day (no twitter at work) to find what has been happening.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (4/22/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (4/22/2010)

You've got things on your property you want to get rid of? Gail did a great job of that this morning. It would work as well with vegetation though. 😀

Happy it turned out as well as it did Gail.

(Those of you that don't use Twitter don't know what you're missin.) 😀

I've tried that method on weeds... it doesn't work.

As Gail demonstrated, it works great on varmints, especially two-legged ones.

By the time I logged on - I couldn't find it. Far too many tweets. Gonna have to filter by Gail to see what transpired.

Here's the important parts of the conversation:

(Gail is SQLintheWild)

SQLintheWild: Wonderful, an attempted break-in, broad daylight while I was at home. Just what I need to make the week complete.

SQLintheWild: @GFritchey Fine. They took off when I opened the door they were trying to break through. Might have been the 3 foot sharp steel I had

SQLintheWild: @sqlcraftsman Well, when I heard them trying, I opened door with katana in hand. Might be why they ran so fast.

That is totally awesome.

Maaybe she should have been Elektra!!

Should have been... I think she gave Elektra lessons.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Tom Brown (4/20/2010)

Now I want to hear him say it - can you do podcasts Tom?

Podcasts - no. Maybe I'll make a sound file when I'm feeling stronger (currrently up to the ears in codeine and paracetamol, and any sound I make is like the dying gasp of a very sleepy frog).

Tom

• Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

Should have been... I think she gave Elektra lessons.

😎

Learn Extended Events

• I just love the following article!

http://www.hyderabadtechies.info/index.php/articles/39-articles/747-hyderabad-techies-article

Wish I had thought of it :doze:

The author 'kaustavm' is clearly one to watch 😉

• Be of good cheer, Paul. I think it was Jeff who said that the next level in resume` credentials is being able to point to how many places where people have stolen your stuff. 😉

But seriously, I checked the link and that rancid sack of excrement indeed lifted your article in its entirety and published it under his name. What a pathetic waste of breathable air.

How did you find out about it, anyway?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 15 posts - 14,701 through 14,715 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply