Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luke L (4/22/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Pity that Brent will get kicked out of the MVP club so soon after his MCM... 😛

And now for something completely different...

Any advice on ridding my lawn of the pesky dandelion? Last year I chose to uproot, out of sheer idiocy I suppose, choosing to just extract them as I found them, while realizing I was not solving the problem. (Work harder, not smarter - which by the way, have you guys seen the Scotts article where they dynamited them and they still grew back? classic...)

This year I waffled back and forth between fertilizer that is supposed to kill 'em and just killing 'em, and landed on the side of Roundup. (ahhh...liquid death...)

Course now I gots brown spots. (On some, apparently I was trigger-shy on the rest of them, and they just look kind of depressed instead of dead)

Any thoughts?

Scotts usually works for me.

Now, does anybody know how to get rid of morning glory?

Yup Scotts or True Green or whatever seems to work for the Dandelions, either that or pay some hapless youngin to pick them all before they go to seed and make some dandelion wine? You'll want to put anything like this down roughly 2 weeks prior to reseeding your brown spots as most of the Pre/Post emergent weed controllers will kill off your new grass as well.

As for morning glory, and this probably isn't the best advice given that it's Earth day here in the US, but... your local big box hardware store (Lowes, HD, whatever you guys have out west) sells stuff that specifically says on the label, "Guaranteed to kill anything green". While I've never used it on Morning glory, I've treated Creeping trumpet vines with it with some success. basically I dug out as much of the root as possible then poured it directly on the tap root. The next year a couple of shoots came up which also got dowsed with the stuff and I've been rid of it ever since. You will have to replant any grass that is around it though...

I have used that stuff - morning glory seems to continue to creep back. Killzall type of chemicals are supposed to kill the ground completely for two years so that flowers, grass, weeds can't grow but trees will continue to grow.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Trey Staker (4/22/2010)

WayneS (4/22/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (4/22/2010)

Jack Corbett (4/22/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (4/21/2010)

I've seen even worse things in my app (Visual Basic):

Public const SC AS String = "'" 'Yes, you got it right, it's a single quote

' Everywhere in the code at least 1000 times:

sql = "SELECT someField FROM someTable WHERE someField = " & SC & variable & SC

Nice, isn't it?

I've seen stuff like that many times.

It's strange to note that this doesn't diturb any of you. I simply hate it.

Oh, it's disturbs me... it's just one of those things that I have very little control over, and I try not to sweat the small stuff.

Now, that sp_Nothing would never make it into my db... :w00t:

(Start Rant)

I don't know what it is like for you guys but for me it isn't so easy getting the crap code out of production. I only have access to the stored procs. I have to identify it, document it, monitor it, make the suggested change in a test enviorment the go through a whole change control process that only has 2 opportunities a year be implemented. Although stuff like this bothers me, I wouldn't have access to the vb code only to the stored procs. If it was hitting my sql server and I found it then there would be even more hoops and battles to go through to change it. The sp_nothing would definately make it to my radar, other procs almost as vile have. At the end of the day I have to decide weather the battle is worth fighting and if the performance or security increase is worth the time, energy and risk analisys. Most the code like this in our systems is fairly ancient and before we had the type of change control process we currently have. (End Rant)

Same boat.

Learn Extended Events

• Trey Staker (4/22/2010)

Jason, Congrats. Brent Ozar is talking about you on his Blog[/url] and welcoming you in as a new blogger on SQLServerpedia.com

Thanks.

I like the comment he made on the review board - Stepping Stone Cert.

Learn Extended Events

• jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Any advice on ridding my lawn of the pesky dandelion? Last year I chose to uproot, out of sheer idiocy I suppose, choosing to just extract them as I found them, while realizing I was not solving the problem. (Work harder, not smarter - which by the way, have you guys seen the Scotts article where they dynamited them and they still grew back? classic...)

This year I waffled back and forth between fertilizer that is supposed to kill 'em and just killing 'em, and landed on the side of Roundup. (ahhh...liquid death...)

Course now I gots brown spots. (On some, apparently I was trigger-shy on the rest of them, and they just look kind of depressed instead of dead)

Any thoughts?

I had this problem a long time ago, and decided to try killing the lawn - dandelions, clover, buttercups, grass and all - by watering with a sodium chlorate solution. By some lucky chance the solution I made up wasn't strong enough to kill off the grass, but it did kill off all the unwanted plants. Raking over left me with bare patches, bit I could scatter grass seed on those. For a few weeks I had a yellow grass lawn, then it started being green with yellow tops and a deep mowing got rid of the yellow.

I'm don't know whether this only worked because of the kind of soil or the breed of grass or both or neither, and I can't remember how chlorate I used per gallon; but if nothing else works you could try it.

Tom

• Alvin Ramard (4/22/2010)

You've got things on your property you want to get rid of? Gail did a great job of that this morning. It would work as well with vegetation though. 😀

Happy it turned out as well as it did Gail.

(Those of you that don't use Twitter don't know what you're missin.) 😀

I've tried that method on weeds... it doesn't work.

As Gail demonstrated, it works great on varmints, especially two-legged ones.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I'm trying real hard, but no success.

Am I asking the wrong way?

I'm going home now, I feel like giving up.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (4/22/2010)

You've got things on your property you want to get rid of? Gail did a great job of that this morning. It would work as well with vegetation though. 😀

By the time I logged on - I couldn't find it. Far too many tweets. Gonna have to filter by Gail to see what transpired.

Learn Extended Events

• Tom.Thomson (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Any thoughts?

I had this problem a long time ago, and decided to try killing the lawn - dandelions, clover, buttercups, grass and all - by watering with a sodium chlorate solution. By some lucky chance the solution I made up wasn't strong enough to kill off the grass, but it did kill off all the unwanted plants. Raking over left me with bare patches, bit I could scatter grass seed on those. For a few weeks I had a yellow grass lawn, then it started being green with yellow tops and a deep mowing got rid of the yellow.

I'm don't know whether this only worked because of the kind of soil or the breed of grass or both or neither, and I can't remember how chlorate I used per gallon; but if nothing else works you could try it.

wow, the other guys were kidding about nuking the place, you actually did it. I doubt I'll go that route (yet) but thanks for the suggestion.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Gianluca Sartori (4/22/2010)

I'm trying real hard, but no success.

Am I asking the wrong way?

I'm going home now, I feel like giving up.

I think you can be our nominee for the Mother Theresa DBA Award For Patience. On the plus side, the poster does provide relatively useful information and seems to know what you're asking more than most others.

Gaby

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/22/2010)

Trey Staker (4/22/2010)

Jason, Congrats. Brent Ozar is talking about you on his Blog[/url] and welcoming you in as a new blogger on SQLServerpedia.com

Thanks.

I like the comment he made on the review board - Stepping Stone Cert.

It was nice... now if we could just get him to participate on the forums 😎

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/22/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

Alvin Ramard (4/22/2010)

By the time I logged on - I couldn't find it. Far too many tweets. Gonna have to filter by Gail to see what transpired.

Here's the important parts of the conversation:

(Gail is SQLintheWild)

SQLintheWild: Wonderful, an attempted break-in, broad daylight while I was at home. Just what I need to make the week complete.

SQLintheWild: @GFritchey Fine. They took off when I opened the door they were trying to break through. Might have been the 3 foot sharp steel I had

SQLintheWild: @sqlcraftsman Well, when I heard them trying, I opened door with katana in hand. Might be why they ran so fast.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/22/2010)

That sounds like Gail 🙂

I would love to see the look they had on their faces.

BTW, How's the back, Steve?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/20/2010)

Paul White NZ (4/19/2010)

I did not a few things, he still uses sysprocesses (I believe it is for the blocking process count), implements a ton of dynamic sql, uses 4 cursors, and has this little bit of code.

SELECT TOP(2147483647) ' + '*,...'

That nugget of code is interesting because I figured he would have been specific about the columns he wanted returned.

I just spent an hour crafting a very long and detailed reply to this and the forum errored out when I hit the Post button. So here's a quick and dirty summary of what I typed before:

A) sysprocesses is used for three reasons: performance, the open trans column, and a bug with MARS. Regarding performance, due to all of the joins the DMVs can take literally minutes to return on overtaxed servers. Not the case with sysprocesses, which uses only a single iterator internally. Open trans column speaks for itself--no replacement. And since I try to write Who is Active to be compatible with as many SQL Server features as possible I need to support MARS. There is a bug where the tasks DMV doesn't always have the correct request_id, so I use the kpid from sysprocesses to work backward via the threads DMV.

B) Cursors, used for a couple of reasons. First of all, the query_text and query_plan DMFs can block in a few cases, so a cursor is used there in conjunction with a very short lock timeout to ensure that the entire script doesn't ever have to wait. Having a monitoring script wait kind of defeats the purpose :-). Second, and in a similar vein, cursors are used whenever the script needs to go into a user database, since it's quite possible that the caller may not have access and/or that the database will no longer be online. I'd rather take a hit and use a cursor than have the entire script bomb.

C) I quite often use SELECT * in derived tables, since it will be optimized out by the outer query. Here's a quick example to illustrate:

SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON

GO

SELECT *

FROM sys.databases

GO

SELECT database_id

FROM sys.databases

GO

SELECT database_id

FROM

(

SELECT *

FROM sys.databases

) AS x

GO

SET SHOWPLAN_ALL OFF

GO

I'm happy to answer any more questions you might have. I'll stay subscribed to this thread for a couple of days (it's way too active for me to keep up beyond that), and after then feel free e-mail me. My e-mail address is in the script and I always love getting questions, comments, feature requests, etc. Only one feature has been requested that was possible that I didn't end up implementing, and that number will soon return to zero since it's currently the next one on my list.

Best,

Adam

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• jcrawf02 (4/22/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/22/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/21/2010)

Any thoughts?

Chemical warfare... that or take off & nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

lol thanks. What was that compound that makes sand burn again? :hehe:

Clorine triflouride

It's hypergolic with just about everything.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 14,686 through 14,700 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply