Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White NZ (4/27/2010)

Yep. I'd only start to worry if you start finding SSC notification emails stashed around the house in unlikely places.

Why find them stashed when you can receive them directly to the frontal lobe?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Does anyone happen to know where a Microsoft reference exists that defines the XML index structures in SQL 2008? I'm looking for both the Primary and Secondary XML index structures.

For instance, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187508%28SQL.90%29.aspx mentions that all of the XML Secondary indexes in SQL 2005 are B+-Tree indexes. However, I can't find a similar reference for SQL 2008.

The SQL 2008 BOL links for Primary XML Index and Secondary XML Indexes do not mention the index structure for the indexes.

Thanks!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (4/27/2010)

Does anyone happen to know where a Microsoft reference exists that defines the XML index structures in SQL 2008? I'm looking for both the Primary and Secondary XML index structures.

The structures are identical in both versions, so the 2005 documentation should be fine. You can also take a look at the internal tables, if you want a more in-depth picture, by logging in with the DAC. Look for indexes where with index_id > 256000

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Roy Ernest (4/27/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/27/2010)

Roy Ernest (4/27/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/27/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (4/27/2010)

What do you think I have 15 acres of woods for?

Woods are good. They provide fuel for fire and draw game to your vicinity.

You also need access to fresh water and a hilltop with clear fields of fire in all directions.

Check, check, check, check... Ammo, canned food, scout skills....

I have experience using Shotgun and rifles... I can hunt for food.... Can I join the bunker ?? My island is not the right place to be when SH** hits the fan...:hehe:

Got a kilt? You have to have a kilt.

have you ever seen a traditional Indian dress from my state of Kerala? It is a long peace of cloth that you tie around your wait. In the end it will look like a kilt.

Edit First Pic on the left(Guy with the elephant). Will that be OK?

Yeah, that's acceptible. Welcome to the bunker.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/27/2010)

Paul White NZ (4/27/2010)

Yep. I'd only start to worry if you start finding SSC notification emails stashed around the house in unlikely places.

Why find them stashed when you can receive them directly to the frontal lobe?

I apply them between my toes. No tracks.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/27/2010)

Paul White NZ (4/27/2010)

Adam Machanic (4/27/2010)

I'm going to unsubscribe right after I read the next post after this one. Or maybe just a couple more after that. We'll see, but definitely sometime in the next few days, maybe a week or two max.

Cool - you sound totally across this, so no worries there.

Just in case you know anyone else with a Thread problem, I think Steve has some patches and gum you your friend could try.

A greenhouse trip might help too!

Or a trip to the desert.....Tent and hippo are at the ready!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Paul White NZ (4/27/2010)

Just in case you know anyone else with a Thread problem, I think Steve has some patches and gum you your friend could try.

I don't think I can read the thread and chew gum at the same time, but I'll give it a shot.

Chad

• Posted a quick, one question survey in the SQL 2008 general forum, interested in knowing if anyone is upgrading to 2008 R2 Datacenter or Enterprise.

Gaby

• One note for the R2 upgrade, I got a note from MS licensing. If you move from SQK2K8 (or 2005 I assume) with 16CPUs, to R2, you need to move to DC, not Enterprise.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/28/2010)

One note for the R2 upgrade, I got a note from MS licensing. If you move from SQK2K8 (or 2005 I assume) with 16CPUs, to R2, you need to move to DC, not Enterprise.

Yeah, was afraid of that....

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (4/27/2010)

1. Security: working on it...

2. Processes: what's a process? 😀 (yeah I know, this is forcing us to think)

3. Roles: probably the easiest piece so far we're dealing with

4. Vendor: We have a vendor (Ingrian/Safenet) as a device in our company that does the encryption of our CC#'s.

5. Encryption: See 4...but also have to see how this becomes in scope.

6. Keys backed up definitely, rotation...working on that. Keys stored on the Ingrian device.

7. working on that...

Thanks for the tips.

To this I'll be adding logging, as that's a separate workstream we're going through.

2. Clear deliniation between developers working in DEV and DBA pushing to PROD. Should be anyway, but in a small shop some people wear multiple hats, or have specific access to PROD areas that they "shouldn't" have.

5. We had to better secure the keys. In our case put them into a secure database with limited access. Also had to encrypt voice recordings that contain verbal CC information.

6. Key rotation will be a pain because it will mean re-encrypting everything with the new key.

There should probably be a dedicated PCI thread somewhere.

• homebrew01 (4/28/2010)

GabyYYZ (4/27/2010)

1. Security: working on it...

2. Processes: what's a process? 😀 (yeah I know, this is forcing us to think)

3. Roles: probably the easiest piece so far we're dealing with

4. Vendor: We have a vendor (Ingrian/Safenet) as a device in our company that does the encryption of our CC#'s.

5. Encryption: See 4...but also have to see how this becomes in scope.

6. Keys backed up definitely, rotation...working on that. Keys stored on the Ingrian device.

7. working on that...

Thanks for the tips.

To this I'll be adding logging, as that's a separate workstream we're going through.

2. Clear deliniation between developers working in DEV and DBA pushing to PROD. Should be anyway, but in a small shop some people wear multiple hats, or have specific access to PROD areas that they "shouldn't" have.

5. We had to better secure the keys. In our case put them into a secure database with limited access. Also had to encrypt voice recordings that contain verbal CC information.

6. Key rotation will be a pain because it will mean re-encrypting everything with the new key.

There should probably be a dedicated PCI thread somewhere.

#2 is surprisingly the real gotcha. And it stems mostly from small shops.

Agreed that a dedicated PCI thread would be ideal.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/28/2010)

One note for the R2 upgrade, I got a note from MS licensing. If you move from SQK2K8 (or 2005 I assume) with 16CPUs, to R2, you need to move to DC, not Enterprise.

I read that and thought about my previous employer, they're going to be shovelling out a lot of cash because they have a lot of servers in this category. That is 16 sockets not 16 cores right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Correct, SQL licenses on sockets, not cores. I think this is why it seems a lot of larger companies are buying 2 or 4 socket machines and sticking in dual or quad cores. You could go 16 cores in a 4 way box and that's a nice sweet spot for cost/performance. If you can separate out machines, this makes some sense.

• I get how the points are calculated on SSC but how are visits calculated?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 14,881 through 14,895 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply