database tuning engine problem

• Hi there, I have been searching for solution for this problem but unable to find one. Very much appreciate if some pro from here can give me some tips on the mentioned.

I am able to run Database Tunning Engine and able to login to pick a saved query. But after click Start Analysis, it stops at Submitting configuration Information (first out of 5 processes). Sometime, after a few minutes it will return a message say query timeout or sometime it just hang it there forever...

Please help and thanks is advance.

Together, we can make wonders!
  • Is the server seriously overloaded?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You may not have the privs to run it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• The SQL server is installed at my note book and virtually no load because I am the only one using it at all time for development purpose.

Also, I login as 'sa' to run the Database Tunning Engine and I guess it should have correct privilage.

Any idea? TIA

• Unfortunately... no... I don't. Sounds like you have everything you need to run it correctly.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Any pro out there has a solution for me? TIA

• My advice is to never use DTA at all!! I have seen it do AWFUL things to databases. Well, actually that works in my favor since I get called in to clean up the mess. 😎

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• hi ,

did you try to rebuild indexes for the database

sometime when the indexes are fragmented , SQL try to get data directly from the table and you will get Time out expired error

HTH

Yaron .

• Hi Yaron,

I was trying to use DTA to check and get some suggestion of which table to be indexed.

I found it is usefull for SQL2000 and I have no problem with its DTA however, DTA for SQL2005 just drives me nut.

I still couldn't found soultion for that.

• TheSQLGuru (6/19/2008)

My advice is to never use DTA at all!! I have seen it do AWFUL things to databases. Well, actually that works in my favor since I get called in to clean up the mess. 😎

Can't help with the OP's issue as I haven't had any problems running DTA for SQL Server 2005. As far as not using it, I take what it offers with a grain of salt. Some of its recommendations are helpful, and at the least helps identify a starting point when trying to identify potential indexing issues or new indexes that are beneficial.

😎

• TheSQLGuru (6/19/2008)

My advice is to never use DTA at all!! I have seen it do AWFUL things to databases. Well, actually that works in my favor since I get called in to clean up the mess. 😎

Just curious - but have you ever spoken with Kimberly Tripp about DTA? She has a completely different opinion about using the tool :w00t:

Actually, I agree with you for the most part. But, Kimberly is very persuasive...

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I've been having good success with DTA on set based code. Sometimes it's recommendations don't actually speed anything up but, as some have said about other tools, it's a good starting point for me. Additional analysis on my part is sometimes required, but not very often.

On hidden RBAR like recurrsion... it doesn't do so good.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• DTA is like any other tool: if you KNOW how it works and how to use it it can be an effective device. But I have had two clients now who have simply thrown profile runs at it and implemented everything they got back and it was a disaster both times. And it is simply astounding how many indexes it will create (very similar ones in numerous cases) and an AMAZING amount of INCLUDEd columns. Multiple indexes with over 70% of table's columns included, >10X index size on a table compared to data size, etc, etc. Other clients have done smaller cycles of the same thing.

One client's performance is so bad now for DML actions that we are actually going to drop every index on every table (except for PK, unique, FK and some obvious single column ones) and basically start the index analysis process from scratch. Unfortunately they didn't accept the default names that DTA provided with so I can't use that as a mechanism to pick the ones to drop. What a fun week that is gonna be! 😎

For me, DTA in the hands of the average user is like Russian Roulette with 4.73 bullets in the gun. 😀

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (6/24/2008)

DTA is like any other tool: if you KNOW how it works and how to use it it can be an effective device. But I have had two clients now who have simply thrown profile runs at it and implemented everything they got back and it was a disaster both times. And it is simply astounding how many indexes it will create (very similar ones in numerous cases) and an AMAZING amount of INCLUDEd columns. Multiple indexes with over 70% of table's columns included, >10X index size on a table compared to data size, etc, etc. Other clients have done smaller cycles of the same thing.

One client's performance is so bad now for DML actions that we are actually going to drop every index on every table (except for PK, unique, FK and some obvious single column ones) and basically start the index analysis process from scratch. Unfortunately they didn't accept the default names that DTA provided with so I can't use that as a mechanism to pick the ones to drop. What a fun week that is gonna be! 😎

For me, DTA in the hands of the average user is like Russian Roulette with 4.73 bullets in the gun. 😀

Yeah, gotta agree with you on that one and I have seen the same thing. It's the same thing I have seen with using the missing index dmv's in SQL Server 2008. Performance Dashboard will give you a very nice report - but, do you really need to implement a non clustered index that includes almost every column in the table?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• TheSQLGuru (6/24/2008)

DTA is like any other tool: if you KNOW how it works and how to use it it can be an effective device. But I have had two clients now who have simply thrown profile runs at it and implemented everything they got back and it was a disaster both times. And it is simply astounding how many indexes it will create (very similar ones in numerous cases) and an AMAZING amount of INCLUDEd columns. Multiple indexes with over 70% of table's columns included, >10X index size on a table compared to data size, etc, etc. Other clients have done smaller cycles of the same thing.

Oh yeah.... I absolutely forgot about DBA's that aren't and casual users that have heard indexes = speed/performance...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply