DBA job without experience? Is it possible?

• seekwell_fan (1/24/2009)

Hi, guys!

Thank you all for your advises. I appreciated all of them

I can't answer to each of you, so I would like to answer only for some common ideas.

First, as I told you, I'm an experienced salesman. So, you should guess that I'm an experienced user of databases. That's true. I do know about Access, Oracle, and MS-SQL Server databases even more than some of IT_shop_help_desk_young_boys_contractors can imagine. I had a "Power User", a "Back Up operator" or similar to these permissions (roles) on all of those systems. So, I can install/create databases, create user accounts, setup security for them, create tables, setup relations and many other things in databases I can do which you probably think salesmen with two AS degrees don't, because "they can only use a calculator" :)...

I always have MS-Access and/or MS-SQL Server databases installed on my home computers and laptops since time of Access 97 and SQL Server 6.5. Now, on this PC, I have an Oracle Database 10g Express Edition and MS-SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition installed. I did not spend "50-60 backs" (as somebody suggests me here) on a SQL Server 2008 Developer, I've downloaded it for free because I'm registered student on a Microsoft Spark and registered Beta Tester for some others Microsoft's programs ;). So, I play with SQL Server 2008 since his Beta version.

So, I can write queries/code in PL-SQL, T-SQL, LINQ, and VB.

I can build any server or workstation from scratch and set it on any network, and I can install and tune up ANY Microsoft Operation System or Server.

And many others things I can do as easy as you, guys.

So, guys, you should not think, that only an IT shop gives a knowledge and/or an experience. Not at all. Indeed, I personally, know many guys who works in IT shops, but who are such a boneheaded, that I sometimes feel sad about the future of IT industry in this country.

Thank you all again. I think we can close this discussion.

Have you a good day!

Yepp... I've had lot's of people say all that and more on their resumes and they claimed a boat load of experience, as well as all the things you just said. And, they almost all failed the interview because they didn't really know what they didn't know.

On the flip side, one did pass the interviews. Like yourself, not much on-the-job experience, but knew his stuff, just the same. That's what a techinical interview is for. It's up to you to convince them to give you the interview because of your private experience.

And, yes... I always feel bad for the IT industry in this country because even people that do have the experience don't always know what to do.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• seekwell_fan (1/24/2009)

Hi, guys!

Thank you all for your advises. I appreciated all of them

I can't answer to each of you, so I would like to answer only for some common ideas.

First, as I told you, I'm an experienced salesman. So, you should guess that I'm an experienced user of databases. That's true. I do know about Access, Oracle, and MS-SQL Server databases even more than some of IT_shop_help_desk_young_boys_contractors can imagine. I had a "Power User", a "Back Up operator" or similar to these permissions (roles) on all of those systems. So, I can install/create databases, create user accounts, setup security for them, create tables, setup relations and many other things in databases I can do which you probably think salesmen with two AS degrees don't, because "they can only use a calculator" :)...

I always have MS-Access and/or MS-SQL Server databases installed on my home computers and laptops since time of Access 97 and SQL Server 6.5. Now, on this PC, I have an Oracle Database 10g Express Edition and MS-SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition installed. I did not spend "50-60 backs" (as somebody suggests me here) on a SQL Server 2008 Developer, I've downloaded it for free because I'm registered student on a Microsoft Spark and registered Beta Tester for some others Microsoft's programs ;). So, I play with SQL Server 2008 since his Beta version.

So, I can write queries/code in PL-SQL, T-SQL, LINQ, and VB.

I can build any server or workstation from scratch and set it on any network, and I can install and tune up ANY Microsoft Operation System or Server.

And many others things I can do as easy as you, guys.

So, guys, you should not think, that only an IT shop gives a knowledge and/or an experience. Not at all. Indeed, I personally, know many guys who works in IT shops, but who are such a boneheaded, that I sometimes feel sad about the future of IT industry in this country.

Thank you all again. I think we can close this discussion.

Have you a good day!

so go to the interviews and tell them the above but be prepared to back it up. But be careful about going in there saying you are as good or better than their current people and you deserve the same money straight off, you might get their backs up. After all, they will also be looking to see if you will fit in as a member of their team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (1/24/2009)

so go to the interviews and tell them the above but be prepared to back it up. But be careful about going in there saying you are as good or better than their current people and you deserve the same money straight off, you might get their backs up. After all, they will also be looking to see if you will fit in as a member of their team.

That's really good advice, George... It's good to be confident in what you know and do, but there are two things I really hate and I'll turn down a really knowledgeable person just because of them... arrogance and ring knocking.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply