Do you use Facebook?

• Idera is having a contest to give away a seat on the next SQLCruise[/url] - however you have to enter for the contest through their facebook page. Which makes me wonder - how many SQL Professionals use Facebook?

Edit: I forgot to mention: I don't have one, and don't plan on it for any reason.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I have an account, apparently.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• No and no intention to ever have. Got enough accounts in enough places. Don't need or want another one.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/5/2011)

No and no intention to ever have. Got enough accounts in enough places. Don't need or want another one.

Ditto. There are too many social networks. I only have time for a few that have a return value for me and my work. And I just don't want to deal with the hassle of Facebook's privacy policy nonsense.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I admit that I had an account while trying to find old friends. I closed that account and have no intention of opening another facebook account.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• 'Went to a high school reunion recently and it seemed as though everyone knew what was going on with everyone else but me. They had all been on Facebook, as it turns out. So that's when I created an account - but it's only for my high school folks. 😛

I did try to secure it some although I know that it's hopeless and I don't post much about myself there.

p.s., Know what's fun to do on Facebook? Share Facebook IT articles about Facebook's shortcomings on Facebook! The other day, I "shared" this one from Computerworld.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• I have an account. I do nothing with it except accept all the friend requests that come in. That and delete mafia and farm requests (you people need to get lives)

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I have an account. I use it to to keep in touch with my family that is half way around the world.

But I wont be using it to enter this SQL Cruise thingy. I am done with contest... 🙂

-Roy

• I have an account but dont' use it too much. I do have it tied with my Twitter account in TweetDeck. I think there are more SQL people on Twitter than on FaceBook due to the #sqlhelp hastag.

I use it mostly to see what Paul Randal is up to and what new pictures from his most recent trip he posted 😀

My wife lives on it though.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Shawn Melton (1/5/2011)

My wife lives on it though.

Sounds familiar. Many people do live on it. I think it is a common thing for too many people to live their lives entirely on facebook.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I use it so that my Grand Daughter can post to her Facebook page pictures and videos of my GREAT GRAND DAUGHTER, other wise it is a 1,200 mile round trip by car for me to see the youngin, or slightly over $200 round trip air fare. So to me it helps me keep up with my family.

The Grand Daughter is married to a U.S. navy man and he can keep up with their child even when out at sea for 6 month cruises, it sure is a boost to his morale.

Of course it can not and does not completely make up for the distance between us all, but it does provide some satisfaction.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I think Facebook is great. It's a great way to keep in touch with people, see what they are doing, catch pictures, etc. It's an abstraction layer I like, and you don't have to put a lot of stuff in there. I don't have my real birthday, phone, etc. in there. You want to be careful about security, but you can customize things.

I am trying to avoid putting stuff in Facebook because it is closed and I want pictures, etc. out on the 'net for everyone to see.

• In my age group, it's really the only way to keep in touch with people.

Nobody picks up the phone and call anymore, so FB is a good alternative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• First, I think it's a shame that people don't talk on the phone anymore. At some companies, I've even had folks in the next cube IM me with questions instead of getting off their hinies for 30 bloody seconds.

I'll probably never get onto something like FaceBook. Getting onto LinkedIn was bad enough and I echo Gail's thoughts... enough is enough. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I polled for the third option 😛

I have a facebook account.

Just to get a glimps of the technology and how it serves some people.

I mostly get to see messages from accomplishments on farmvile, and other rubbish ...

On the other side, my children practically live on facebook.

Sharing pictures and videos, liking some group or statements, playing games,...

I like the picture tag feature that shows names if you hover a head and someone tagged it.

As your children get older, but still see you frequently, they remove you as a freind so you don't get to see what they're up to or the extravagant party pictures.

That actually may spare you the embarrassment :hehe:

Facebook is blocked at the office, as is twitter, hives,....

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply