Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and Dodge

• jferrel-1093506 (1/14/2010)

True Lynn, I have not read much else on SSC.... but as disgusted as he is about customer support, I can equate that to me having to wade through mind numbing articles in hopes of learning something that I might be able to use in real life.

If I want to hear whining, I'd go over to accounting and pull up a chair.... they are always bitching about something!

I also like moonlite walks on the beach, car shows, and cuddling by the slider during a rain storm...

LOL

Then you are truely missing out on a lot of excellent information about MS SQL Server and how to get the most from the product. Oh, wait, you are an Oracle DBA. Not sure you will find a whole lot here about Oracle, though there are a few forums dedicated to that product, mostly about working between the two.

• These problems are not related to just technology companies but to the most of the big companies; they are trying to avoid the good customer service and one really cannot do anything to get them do something right. They protect themselves with a lot of clauses to avoid any legal responsibilities. Even medium and smaller businesses sometimes are going the same direction. Maybe that some new antitrust laws will help, but in the current environment they will not solve the problem.

Probably only we as customers can help to solve these issues that actually are growing as a snowball. In my opinion the only way that will force them to do right things is the possibility of having huge financial losses and going out of business.

Companies are rated for the the investment purposes. Why not rate them on quality of the customer service, quality of their products etc by customers. I had multiple issues in different areas like that one described and had an idea that we maybe really need to have a special web site (customer protection agency is not really a big help in this) that will collect all the customer feedback and rate the companies. The customers are so spread across the globe that big companies just do not care about us, individual customers, in this environment. Let force them to care, or let them go out of business doesn't matter where they operate. If they are global why we cannot have a global customer response?

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/14/2010)

However, the more machines you sell, the more likelihood of an issue, and there more likelihood you'll really upset someone.

The ratings I remember were based on ratings per number of people responding to the survey. Thus companies that sold a lot of systems tended to have a larger number of respondents and their ratings were probably more accurate.

If I'm researching quality I try to read both good and bad reviews. Occasionally someone elses problem might be a feature for me.

I also closely analyze the tone of the review.

I ignore non-specific rants or those that are clearly immature attempts to gain attention.

The same applies when I am reading blogs, op-eds, and editorials.

And flaming rants regarding any of the above...

• Not a bad idea, but I think that you'll get reviews across the board. I know some people have had good luck with Toshiba. They aren't the ones that post usually.

I've had great luck with Dells and I will likely go back to them, but I see lots of bad reviews on those as well.

• bwillsie-842793 (1/14/2010)

I also closely analyze the tone of the review.

I ignore non-specific rants or those that are clearly immature attempts to gain attention.

I tend to agree here. I make a judgement if the bad review is valid or if it's just someone upset.

I hope I haven't come across as a fruitcake here. I don't think the laptop is a bad product. It's had minor issues, but they haven't been that big a deal and overall it's been a great machine. Having the display die (the original issue), happens. I'm just stunned that they haven't provided the customer service to allow me to escalate this after 40+ days.

• I hope I haven't come across as a fruitcake here. I don't think the laptop is a bad product. It's had minor issues, but they haven't been that big a deal and overall it's been a great machine. Having the display die (the original issue), happens. I'm just stunned that they haven't provided the customer service to allow me to escalate this after 40+ days.

You haven't come across as a fruitecake or a whinner at all.

Bad customer service is one of the most frustrating things out there.

My first IT releated job was doing tech support for AT&T WorldNet dial up internet access. People burn out with a year or two of taking support calls. The burn out isn't just caused by the customer's who call them, but also the co-workers who really have no business taking calls because their abilities and skills are lacking in that area. I used to get really frustrated when the system showed that a particular access phone number was experiencing issues but gave no details about what was wrong, what the symtoms were or any kind of ETA on when it would be back up and running.

That job did give me a solid foundation in customer service which to this day is still one of my strongest selling points during interviews. Users love me because I take the time to listen to what their problem is, come up with a solution in terms that they understand and give them feedback to my progress on the resolution.

Kev -=Conan The Canadian=-
    @ConanTheCdn

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/14/2010) I hope I haven't come across as a fruitcake here. I don't think the laptop is a bad product. It's had minor issues, but they haven't been that big a deal and overall it's been a great machine. Having the display die (the original issue), happens. I'm just stunned that they haven't provided the customer service to allow me to escalate this after 40+ days.

Nope, I wouldn't say your coming across as a fruitcake.

If it's been 40+ days someone in Toshiba should have already escalated it for you.

Have you tried hunting down the email for anyone high up in Sales or Marketing at Toshiba?

I've found that many times a detailed complaint to those positions gets pushed straight to the top.

It's a strategy that has worked many times for me. Especially if you start it off with "I really liked your product and would like to recommend it to my friends, but..."

I hope I haven't come across as a fruitcake here.

Nope - no fruitcakes this time of year. Except maybe in the eyes of that Oracle guy 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

I get a SQL ServerCentral.com about once every week or so, but never read it.

Then I read this because of the catchy title, and its a rant about a guy that can't fix his PC. Are you kidding me?

I'm an Oracle DBA, and we have our only weekly rags, but the circulate interesting and useful DATABASE information. Do you guys ever partake in editorials like that?

My laptop doesn't work ... boo freakin' hoo.

We appologize for the fact that our website doesn't pander to your specific needs with laser-precise focus. We will completely understand if you want a full refund of your subscription price and cancel your membership permanently.

(Note that I do not actually speak for anyone except myself and am not an employee, stockholder, manager, or other fiduciary of SSC. I'm just suggesting that you go away and stay there.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

True Lynn, I have not read much else on SSC.... but as disgusted as he is about customer support, I can equate that to me having to wade through mind numbing articles in hopes of learning something that I might be able to use in real life.

If I want to hear whining, I'd go over to accounting and pull up a chair.... they are always bitching about something!

I also like moonlite walks on the beach, car shows, and cuddling by the slider during a rain storm...

LOL

It sounds to me like your mind has already been numbed quite enough. I recommend staying as far away from this site as possible, to avoid any chance of being pushed into a coma by material that's too advanced for you.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/14/2010)

jferrel-1093506 (1/14/2010)

LOL

It sounds to me like your mind has already been numbed quite enough. I recommend staying as far away from this site as possible, to avoid any chance of being pushed into a coma by material that's too advanced for you.

Thanks Gus, I needed a laugh.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I actually have an offer from a Toshiba employee, not in the computer or laptop area, to escalate. I did leave a message with the corporate office on Monday at the escalation desk, but to date they have not called me back. And certainly not within their "we will make every attempt to call back in 24 hours" note.

I did call back today, got transferred "successfully" to customer relations. Was informed that it has not been 3 repairs, so it's not a lemon, but they will have it sent to the "VIP repairs". Not sure what they means, no guarantee on quicker service, and no way to ship it today. I have to wait for a box to arrive.

That's reasonable, though still not great customer service. I'll see what happens at this point.

• That guy just does not understand that this discussion is not about fixing laptops... It is about being a human being in the 21 century or just a money making robot for someone in the "cloud".

I actually have an offer from a Toshiba employee, not in the computer or laptop area, to escalate. I did leave a message with the corporate office on Monday at the escalation desk, but to date they have not called me back. And certainly not within their "we will make every attempt to call back in 24 hours" note.

I did call back today, got transferred "successfully" to customer relations. Was informed that it has not been 3 repairs, so it's not a lemon, but they will have it sent to the "VIP repairs". Not sure what they means, no guarantee on quicker service, and no way to ship it today. I have to wait for a box to arrive.

That's reasonable, though still not great customer service. I'll see what happens at this point.

That's reasonable??????

No, that's just a slight uptick after 40 days of incompetence. Far from "great", I'd call it "on life support, but not legally dead yet".

Property of The Thread

• Man, that's enough to give even us one-time Oracle guys a bad name...geez, lighten up a bit! Not everything worth reading is confined to your narrow little world.

Steve, this is largely why I stick with buying certain woodworking tools. Companies like Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley, and ToolsForWorkingWood.com make and sell top quality tools and if something goes wrong, even if it's your own fault, they stand behind their products and make it right. Quality and service are still alive, but you do pay for it. However, these companies service a rather small niche market. I suspect that if Toshiba offered this kind of quality service, they would be forced to raise their prices, and they would soon be out of business. Hand tools are a lifetime investment that can be passed down through many generations, but the life expectancy of a laptop is what? Two or three years? Who is going to pay the price required for top quality for a device with such a short lifespan? Me either...

I certainly don't blame you for being upset, but these companies that offer mass produced goods with short service lives are in a pretty difficult position. Price is just too large a driver in consumer electronics decision making and the lack of service that I have experienced seems to reflect that.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply