Finding Training

• majorbloodnock (3/19/2010)

Like Phil, my company has a healthy attitude to training; indeed it's an integral section of our regular formal performance reviews. That means, of course, that if either manager or employee spot a training need, it's documented. Come next review, if the training hasn't been forthcoming and has affected performance, that's also documented.

Same here. Our company encourages employees to take training. Not as much as they used to with the economic downturn but enough is allocated so that we can take 1 big class or attend a conference per year.

In big companies (like I work for) training is often already paid for so what's really being spent are credits. Sure, in the end it's real money but to the manager it's not like it's coming out of their own pocket. Far from it. For all I know people are encouraged to pay for training at the end of the year so manager training budgets don't go down. But I won't swear to that.

You know that storm that caused all the damage in the northeast US this past weekend? Well I drove 50 miles in that to get to SQL Saturday in Philadelphia! And it was well attended. 175 people or so and one class that was standing room only. Good event.

Ken

• staffkits (3/19/2010)

I am also looking for finding online training.because i am so much busy in my office work i have not enough time to take training.I want to join any good online training program.Please tell me how i can join it.

Check out this blog post. It lists a lot of different training options both online and in-person.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/19/2010)

Henrico Bekker (3/18/2010)

When are you coming to South Africa to host a SQL Saturday? 😉

South Africa?!?!? Isn't that 3 light days of travel from CO? Can I send Gail in my place?

Don't say this too loud. My wife would love to come and probably drag me along if she hears about it.

Hmm.... Anyone know Steve's wife's email address? 😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (3/19/2010)

... the one thing I do, any time I can, is point out exactly where I recieved a piece of information that helped the company. If I read a book that had information we needed, I point out that book. If a session I attended at PASS showed information that we used, I make sure everyone involved knows where that information came from.

I like this idea. I hadn't thought of making it blatantly clear how the training helped the company. It makes total sense though.

Thanks Grant.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (3/19/2010)

I wonder how many employees would be willing to sign a contract saying that if they left the company for another job within a year or two, that they'd have to pay back the training expense?

... The Chicken was "loyal".... The Pig was "dedicated". 😛

Sign me up. I have done this in the past. It is akin to a signing bonus as well. Any authors out there also do the same sort of thing. They get an advance with a promise to deliver - no delivery and you pay back the advance. Sounds reasonably fair.

How bad do you want the training?

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (3/19/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/19/2010)

South Africa?!?!? Isn't that 3 light days of travel from CO? Can I send Gail in my place?

Don't say this too loud. My wife would love to come and probably drag me along if she hears about it.

I'm sure we can find her cell phone number too if you want (insert devil emoticon that is still missing on SSC).

Learn Extended Events

• Now that I am through the thread of discussion, here are my 2 bits.

I buy my training books or use the free materials I can find. I haven't had my employer pay for them. If they want to buy a book, I will make recommendations. I have asked in the past, and it was a run-around experience just for books.

I have requested training in the past only in the form of reimbursement for Certification Exams. That was met with mixed reception. I have been required by employers to take this or that training in the past - even at the warning that it was training for a topic that was unnecessary (either we already had the skills, it was outdated material, or the training just was bad).

I have requested and been approved for time off work to attend Users Group meetings - so long as there was coverage in the dept. I think that is fair, and the training there is better than the training that comes with a high price tag.

I have requested on several occasions for the employer to foot the bill for PASS or similar conferences. That request has been approved twice. The first time was not actually at my request but at the request of the manager from the IT dept of the company we just acquired. I was the beneficiary - and that was awesome. The only other time that it was approved was this year when I bargained to pay half.

I think it is a great idea to bargain with your employer to get to the training or conferences that are invaluable to the company and your career. I bargained with them paying for the conference while I covered airfare and hotel. If the employer is willing to pay my salary for the week as an alternative bargaining chip (and not have to take vacation), then that is another fantastic method as well.

I think another invaluable tool is to volunteer for certain events or training to help the event run smoothly. This will greatly reduce the cost to you or your employer.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (3/19/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/19/2010)

She does have a blog and she monitors the comments (my wife knows the address, I don't).

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply