General Qestions

• Eugene Elutin (5/24/2012)

anthony.green (5/24/2012)

Eugene Elutin (5/24/2012)

Loundy (5/24/2012)

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

i was having a crap day but this has totally cheered me up!! 🙂

Give us your address and we will send you our invoices. It will cheer you even higher!

:hehe:

I wonder if it's possible to stop this thread to be accessed for free. I believe we should get paid for something like that! Peanuts accepted...

:w00t:

I also take payment in Microsoft Points, to save the handling charges on peanut imports to the UK

Can we get back to discussing SQL issues here?

For example why:

"SELECT * FROM Crap" doesn't return the star, but it does return some bullsh*t instead! 🙁

To mess with all junior developers (and some senior application developers), every table should have a dummy column called *

😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Can we get back to discussing SQL issues here?

For example why:

"SELECT * FROM Crap" doesn't return the star, but it does return some bullsh*t instead! 🙁

To mess with all junior developers (and some senior application developers), every table should have a dummy column called *

😀

Let's make SQL Server better than Oracle.

MS should implement DUAL table, DUAL column (in every table), DUAL function, DUAL stored proc and the whole DUAL database!

Optionally they can go with DUAL SQLServer instance.

:w00t:

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Hi Guys,

I've used some of the valuable information posted for a new project I'm working on.

Just thought I'd share some lessons learned:

1) I've coerced management into SQL Server 2008 because of the obvious advantages of the LCARS 820-gigaquad interface. Also, I've read Resource Governor only became available in 2008, and your guarantees that all my long running queries will run sub-3 seconds was an instant hit. I'm really looking forward to rubbing egg in the faces of all my colleagues that thought it'd be impossible to get it quicker than the current 10hrs.

2) Also, I went for the newer version of SQL Server, as because previously stated, it makes the server lighter. I've got to carry the server up 3 flights of stairs, so that's a personal gain for me.

3) I don't have any databases yet, but I've set-up the suggest 12 data files and 18 log files; as per best practice.

One question though: I ran DBCC iTimemachine and it gave me the following:

MSG 8974, Sev 16: The felange referenced by the hadron EAS convertor found an unrecoverable AD error.

So, I ran the DBCC command again, with allow_data_loss, but now I can't find the 1960's. Please advise.

4) Despite the resource governor, I still have one query that takes forever to run. I decided to use the clepsydrae and caliper solution to troubleshoot, mainly because I left my seiko watch in my pint of beer last night, but it worked as well as promised. I now know that my query was running forever because I hadn't turned the server off.

This afternoon I'm RAIDing my microSD cards, and wrapping the server in clingfilm 🙂

thanks again,

A

• adb2303 (5/24/2012)

Hi Guys,

I've used some of the valuable information posted for a new project I'm working on.

1) I've coerced management into SQL Server 2008 because of the obvious advantages of the LCARS 820-gigaquad interface. Also, I've read Resource Governor only became available in 2008, and your guarantees that all my long running queries will run sub-3 seconds was an instant hit. I'm really looking forward to rubbing egg in the faces of all my colleagues that thought it'd be impossible to get it quicker than the current 10hrs.

2) Also, I went for the newer version of SQL Server, as because previously stated, it makes the server lighter. I've got to carry the server up 3 flights of stairs, so that's a personal gain for me.

3) I don't have any databases yet, but I've set-up the suggest 12 data files and 18 log files; as per best practice.

MSG 8974, Sev 16: The felange referenced by the hadron EAS convertor found an unrecoverable AD error.

So, I ran the DBCC command again, with allow_data_loss, but now I can't find the 1960's. Please advise.

4) Despite the resource governor, I still have one query that takes forever to run. I decided to use the clepsydrae and caliper solution to troubleshoot, mainly because I left my seiko watch in my pint of beer last night, but it worked as well as promised. I now know that my query was running forever because I hadn't turned the server off.

This afternoon I'm RAIDing my microSD cards, and wrapping the server in clingfilm 🙂

thanks again,

A

See, I always recommend this site as first to visit to SQL newbies. Our helpful advises get the project going smoothly as a P12 sandpaper.

And to answer your #3. After the second run of DBCC you can't find the 1960's? That is very very good, as it is an indication that the problem you got when you did run it first time has gone.

P.S. There is an universal solution to stop queries running forever:

Ask electrician to connect your server room power supply via your floor light switch, so when the last person goes home and switches light off (we must be eco-fiendly to save our planet) the servers will be turned off as well. So, you will no longer have nasty forever-running queries in your databases.

• Eugene Elutin (5/24/2012)

adb2303 (5/24/2012)

Hi Guys,

thanks again,

A

See, I always recommend this site as first to visit to SQL newbies. Our helpful advises get the project going smoothly as a P12 sandpaper.

And to answer your #3. After the second run of DBCC you can't find the 1960's? That is very very good, as it is an indication that the problem you got when you did run it first time has gone.

Ask electrician to connect your server room power supply via your floor light switch, so when the last person goes home and switches light off (we must be eco-fiendly to save our planet) the servers will be turned off as well. So, you will no longer have nasty forever-running queries in your databases.

yeah, still trying to figure out the downside of losing the sixties...great idea...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (5/24/2012)

Eugene Elutin (5/24/2012)

adb2303 (5/24/2012)

Hi Guys,

thanks again,

A

yeah, still trying to figure out the downside of losing the sixties...great idea...

Well they do say that if you can remember the 60's you were'nt there. Me, i wasnt born yet, so would have no use for the data.

On the subject of 'saving'da'planet' I do hope everyone ensures to turn off their computer-room air-con at the end of the day. No sense waisting power, especially if you've taken your Apple Hi5 and Pen-drive home with you. BUT dont forget the wrap the backup err 'disks' in polethene to prevent moisture seepage.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Well they do say that if you can remember the 60's you were'nt there. Me, i wasnt born yet, so would have no use for the data.

On the subject of 'saving'da'planet' I do hope everyone ensures to turn off their computer-room air-con at the end of the day. No sense waisting power, especially if you've taken your Apple Hi5 and Pen-drive home with you. BUT dont forget the wrap the backup err 'disks' in polethene to prevent moisture seepage.

Make it simple: connect all your building power supply via main exit light switch -this technique is called one-click shut-down.

When you go home take not only Apple Hi5 but iBanana as well.

Make sure to wrap disks and files separately, otherwise they can mix and you will end-up with data-salad next day.

• can we also lose the 90s please - what is the correct parameter for that ?

MVDBA

• Wow, someone deleted my post yesterday about double-redundant duplicate High Availability systems (HA/HA) and left all these other posts alone? If I wasn't so desperate for points, I'd almost be offended! 😀

• ACinKC (5/24/2012)

Wow, someone deleted my post yesterday about double-redundant duplicate High Availability systems (HA/HA) and left all these other posts alone? If I wasn't so desperate for points, I'd almost be offended! 😀

Yeah mine diappeared as well. The one about protecting backs in clingfilm 🙁

Time for a new pen-drive Steve.

• michael vessey (5/24/2012)

can we also lose the 90s please - what is the correct parameter for that ?

ERASE FROM Mariah_Carey TO Boyz_II_Men

• michael vessey (5/24/2012)

As long as you keep all those grunge bands (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, ...)

• Koen Verbeeck (5/24/2012)

michael vessey (5/24/2012)

As long as you keep all those grunge bands (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, ...)

The data will still be available but unfortunately the object usp_Kurt_Cobain had an errant 'IF EXISTS'' statement and as a result dropped itself; Soundgarden were subject to a SQL anomoly known as 'Black_Hole' (a bug introduced by SUN) and hasent come online since. Alice_in_Chains got corrupted and became merged with db Ways_to_kill_Flies and Pearl_Jam went into deresolution.

We can review the data but sadly thos objects are now legacy and may be dropped due to functional deprecation.

• Schadenfreude-Mei (5/25/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (5/24/2012)

The data will still be available but unfortunately the object usp_Kurt_Cobain had an errant 'IF EXISTS'' statement and as a result dropped itself; Soundgarden were subject to a SQL anomoly known as 'Black_Hole' (a bug introduced by SUN) and hasent come online since. Alice_in_Chains got corrupted and became merged with db Ways_to_kill_Flies and Pearl_Jam went into deresolution.

We can review the data but sadly thos objects are now legacy and may be dropped due to functional deprecation.

😀

But I'm going to a Soundgarden concert this Monday. Not really sure what to expect 🙂

• Koen Verbeeck (5/25/2012)

Schadenfreude-Mei (5/25/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (5/24/2012)

😀

But I'm going to a Soundgarden concert this Monday. Not really sure what to expect 🙂

I really dont know what to say to that except, I hope you have a great time, love Soundgarden, but not so much a fan of Audioslave

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply