How much do you earn?

• Thought you might be interested in what the Salary Expert had to say about Denver:

quote:

The Database Administrator working in CO - Denver now earns an average salary of 67,845. Half of those in this position would earn between 52,132 and 92,221 (the 17th and 67th percentiles). These numbers are derived from real, area specific, survey data.

When benefits and bonuses are added to this salary, the average total compensation for this position would be 82,296. The report below also explains how the cost-of-living in this location affects the actual value of this salary.

By the way, the United States is obviously huge so you can't really give a blanket salary for the whole U.S. The Career Builder Salary Expert can give you pretty realistic ranges for every state of the U.S. Here's the URL in case you are interested:

http://floridatoday.gannettonline.com/careerbuilder/content/salaryexpert/index.html

• Oh yes, some of us women make it to the top (see reasons I cited in previous post) . However, most of us our on this scale:

http://www.awis.org/statistics/statistics.html

(Look under the first topic for SALARY called Median salary of scientists employed full time in business or industry, by sex and age: 1997)

I thought this was interesting about European Union Member States:

(Look under the first topic INTERNATIONAL called Women and men in science in six European Union Member States: 1997).

Anyway, I am by no means running a campaign about female vs. male salaries. I'm just happy to have a job right now. Still, the facts are there about the difference. I am certain that will change after domestic roles evolve and education becomes more readily availabile in the future.

Edited by - dalec on 06/19/2003 1:51:36 PM

Edited by - dalec on 06/19/2003 1:52:31 PM

• quote:

Oh yes, some of us women make it to the top (see reasons I cited in previous post) . However, most of us our on this scale:

(Look under the first topic for SALARY called Median salary of scientists employed full time in business or industry, by sex and age: 1997)

(Look under the first topic INTERNATIONAL called Women and men in science in six European Union Member States: 1997).

Anyway, I am by no means running a campaign about female vs. male salaries. I'm just happy to have a job right now. Still, the facts are there about the difference. I am certain that will change after domestic roles evolve and education becomes more readily availabile in the future.

Actually the funny thing is at a point not here things flip upside down. Currently 75% (I may be off by a bit I am still trying to find the info I was sent) of the wealthiest people are female (remember the whole 5% having 95% thing you always here). In fact this recently has the banks targetting women and their financial needs more than any other group.

Edited by - antares686 on 06/19/2003 2:47:56 PM

• God is probably going to shoot me for saying this, they're probably wealthier because they inherited their late husband's retirement. Okay, I see lightening bolts all around my head right now.

• quote:

God is probably going to shoot me for saying this, they're probably wealthier because they inherited their late husband's retirement. Okay, I see lightening bolts all around my head right now.

Now I won't disagree with you there.

• I was DBA/developer in Boston and made K65. However my job was very interesting (more developing than administrating) and I was not working more than 8 hours a day, sometimes only 5-6 hours.

I would not trade for a $100 k job if I had to work 12 hours a day.

People might not be happy that I say that but I think that administrating only is not very fun as it is not that creative. I would look to an data analyst / developer position too.

I had to leave Boston to go down to New York and I had difficulty to find a job but did some freelance jobs (which is very fun and can be very well paid).

To the reply of the person that said that you need to charge $100 an hour to get through because of taxes, I tend to disagree. First of all, as a freelancer, you have a lot more flexibility with your time and when you work. Second you can manage your single K the way you want and reduce significantly your tax and last but not least, you are able to deduc lots of expenses necessary for your website/database development, including all your equipment puchase and office supplies.

Last year, I was able to put 70% of my freelance money on retirement and I paid very low tax on my freelance job. Plus you do not have to pay the IRS every month, so that you can save money and get interest on it ;-). I did not have to pay quarterly because I know that I would put a lot of my frellance money on my retirement plan. Having a wife getting THE salary helped me not to spend my freelance money and almost transfer it to my single K. Only drawbacks you got to pay the employer social security tax but still worth it.

• quote:

I'm way down South in Birmingham, AL and am making $78K/year. Judging by the papers a DBA position goes from anywhere from $50k-70K starting here. If you want more than that you should go to a bigger city, but it will cost alot more to live there. Cost of living here is quite reasonable though, with an average home going for $100K.

I am an Oracle DBA though. I do work with SQL Server some, but none of my mission critical applications are running on it. Maybe about 30% of my instances are on SQL Server and the rest on Oracle.

Right now I am seriously considering making a move into full time consulting. But like some of you the loss of benefits has me worried. They say you should add an addition 20% of your net salary to it's self to get your real salary, and with those numbers I would not be able to take less than $100/hour to make it worth my while. That is considering that I would only find work for 2/3s of the year.

Anyone looking for a partner for a consulting firm?

As I said you can live pretty well if you accept playing with retirement plans and expense reports.

$100 is too much right now but when the economy is good, you can charge $100. Right now, the max you can charge is $50 an hour.

"Only working 2/3" of my time: if you start the consulting business and you work right away 2/3 of your time, you would be great because usually it is difficult in the beginning but then after your clients will love you and you gonna work at least 10 hours a day (fully charged!!!!).

If I were you and you did not start consulting, I would try to get clients on the side, get their trust and use them as a base. I am also starting doing some "pro-bono" work, that pays off on the long run as you can get big clients via non-profit organization.

I work for free for one of them and they might get me a very nice contract with one of the most famous non-profit organization in the NY.

Good luck!!!

• Hi Frank.

I do not know of anyone who would turn away someone due to their lack of education PROVIDED they know what they are talking about. Or at least sound like it.

I do not appreciate it when people judge me or others on education. I know it's how the world works and it's a fight I could not win but....

I someone had to walk into my office and said he could do better things, lets see. I can only learn from him. I would not judge him on his education. Degree, great, not finished school, fine. He knows what he is talking about. That's all the matters at the end of the day.

It's a sore point with me but it's something that can't be undone so I have to live with it and just keep proving that varsity etc does not mean everything.

Cheers,

Crispin

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• Hi Crappy,

I finished uni, whereas my mate didn't. Experience counts for a lot, not whether you can tow the line at uni. He earns nearly twice what I do, probably cos he's twice as intelligent . The difference at times between graduates and people who learnt there craft working is that graduates think they know what they are talking about!

Laters

*I didn't do anything it just got complicated*

"I didn't do anything it just got complicated" - M Edwards

• quote:

*I didn''t do anything it just got complicated*

Brilliant quote!

My boss when to a varsity called Rhodes which has apparently a brilliant IT section.

Once a year, he hires 3 people from there. Each year, we "let go" (read: Fire the bastard!) because they think they know everything!

I admit, this is not the case with all people.

I think that the majority of people (I have met) are more humble if they have not been to varsity. They accept that there are things they don't know and are willing to listen to advice.

I may be way off the general population here but from people I know, work with and met, I prefer the "drop outs"

Cheers,

Crispin

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• Hi

Australian Market (AU$, around 66

Fulltime SQL Server DBA - $45 to $95k

Fulltime Oracle DBA - $55 to $110

Contract Rates - SQL Server DBA - $55/hr to $88/hr

Contract Rates - Oracle DBA - $65/hr to $110/hr

I have been contracted out @ $105/hr (long and short term), but really depends on the clients, they are very "street" savvy and cant get completely ripped off from the marketing/sales guys anymore.

The market is very tough at present, but if your multi-skilled and can pull your weight in a variety of areas you will be fine.

Tax is crap in AU, scaled and over $70k its 48c/dollar, I cant remember the exact cutoffs as it always changes. YOu get taxed 3times with your super, and there is also 10% GST (goods services tax).

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Hi Dale,

quote:

Oh yes, some of us women make it to the top (see reasons I cited in previous post) . However, most of us our on this scale:

although I think that an attractive outlook is definitely helpful for a woman in a men's world (keep in mind that we man are somewhat simple made and like to think with other parts of the body instead of the brain ), there must be something more.

quote:

I know, we are (at least two of the companies I work for), the insurance partner of Citibank. CEO of Citibank Germany is a woman. 4 years older than me, attractive, and very successful.

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Hi Crispin,

quote:

I do not know of anyone who would turn away someone due to their lack of education PROVIDED they know what they are talking about. Or at least sound like it.

think twice, Crispin!

In most cases you first apply in written form for a job.

Guess how you compare to a guy, who writes exactly the same as you, but has an university degree?

Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe, that it should only depend on what someone can be do, for a university degree in my opinion shows only one thing, the ability to read a lot of books. If you're were lucky you have learned how to solve problem with a scientific approach. But you have devoted 4, 6 or more years of your life.

quote:

I do not appreciate it when people judge me or others on education. I know it's how the world works and it's a fight I could not win but....

Sad, but true!

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Hi all,

quote:

given the fact that Crispin mentioned, does some kind of certification (MCP, MCSE, MCDBA or whatever)

• make it easier to get a (better) job?
    • is considered somewhat neccessary?
    • shows only your devotion to continous education?
    • is a nice to have goodie?

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• quote:

We get tax breaks when the business fails, so why not?

Spoken like someone who has never experienced it. My tax breaks were nowhere near enough to pay personal bills and living expenses. Plus I am still being harassed 5 years later about the unpaid business debt.

Patrick

Larry Ansley

Atlanta, GA

Larry Ansley
    Atlanta, GA

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply