Keyboard Hardlines

• TheFault (8/10/2016)

"I think I go through a keyboard every 18-24 months, though the mice seem to last longer."

What the heck are you doing to them? 🙂 Not sure I've ever broken or worn out a keyboard or mouse...

Keys stop working on the keyboard, or they stuck and don't respond. The current K350 has the task list button (left side ) sticking and sometimes flaking.

I've rarely had mice die, but they do stop handling clicks well.

• I don't think I type too hard, but I do miss the old IBM, heavy, beige, clicky mechanical keyboards. I've had a few MS keyboards over the years, and those don't seem to last long either. This Logitech, slight wave fits me nicely, and works well.

I don't replace often, but in the 16 or so years I've been working from home on my own, I certainly have had 5 or 6 keyboards in that time. Rarely have I spilled coffee on the keyboards, but perhaps crumbs play a role. Usually I'll have 1-2 keys stop working and it almost prevents me from working.

Maybe a little OCD on my part with the response and performance of the keyboards.

• Gary Varga (8/10/2016)

djackson 22568 (8/10/2016)

...I guess you could argue it this way. Each individual has certain ethics. In some cases those are pretty strong, in some cases they are pretty weak. Each individual in this field probably works both permanent and temporary positions at some point. Therefore, I don't believe there is any reason to trust one group more, or less, than the other. Trust the individual, not the group.

It should just be like codified security i.e. trust noone and grant the least amout of privileges you can get away with. Trustworthy people will understand that it isn't personal. I don't feel it an accusation that the bank doesn't leave a stash of cash on the side for me to take the appropriate amount from...

...and thanks.

You are most welcome. I also agree completely with these statements. Trustworthy people are never offended - the only people who I ever see respond negatively are ones who are clueless, and thus not trustworthy, or less ethical than I prefer, and again not trustworthy by my definition.

To me, trustworthy isn't all about ethical behavior, it also encompasses trust that someone will behave in a manner that I approve of. A lack of understanding and best practices is just as bad, if not worse, than dishonesty.

Dave

• Two years is about how it takes me to lose the small wireless USB adaptor at which point I have to purchase a new keyboard/mouse.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/10/2016)

I don't think I type too hard, but I do miss the old IBM, heavy, beige, clicky mechanical keyboards. I've had a few MS keyboards over the years, and those don't seem to last long either. This Logitech, slight wave fits me nicely, and works well.

I don't replace often, but in the 16 or so years I've been working from home on my own, I certainly have had 5 or 6 keyboards in that time. Rarely have I spilled coffee on the keyboards, but perhaps crumbs play a role. Usually I'll have 1-2 keys stop working and it almost prevents me from working.

Maybe a little OCD on my part with the response and performance of the keyboards.

OCD, nah. When my wife was an administrative assistant, she typed something like 50-60 words a minute, and she frequently commented on how much faster I was than her. I used the MS Natural keyboard at the time - hard to find now. The Logitech is not quite as nice when it comes to the angle, but I can't type on a standard keyboard to save my life. One issue with MS keyboards, and the IBM ones, is the noise. I actually had someone complain to a manager that I type aggressively. Now that I use Logitech, it isn't as loud.

I guess some non-OCD people (slow workers?) just can't handle others being faster and more efficient. 🙂 Seriously, who complains about how fast someone else types!

Dave

• As radio guy in the military, hobby and part of my early non-military career, I often smile at the oxymoron: wireless security. Even my network connection at home is coax...

• "Actually, I think this is an issue, especially in large companies that may regularly hire consultants. Who knows what temporary workers might do with information they can gather by just sitting in proximity to a domain administrator. Or a DBA."

I'd like to point out that statistics show employees steal more from employers than do temp workers.

Steve, really?

• djackson 22568 (8/10/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/10/2016)

I don't think I type too hard, but I do miss the old IBM, heavy, beige, clicky mechanical keyboards. I've had a few MS keyboards over the years, and those don't seem to last long either. This Logitech, slight wave fits me nicely, and works well.

OCD, nah. When my wife was an administrative assistant, she typed something like 50-60 words a minute, and she frequently commented on how much faster I was than her. I used the MS Natural keyboard at the time - hard to find now. The Logitech is not quite as nice when it comes to the angle, but I can't type on a standard keyboard to save my life. One issue with MS keyboards, and the IBM ones, is the noise. I actually had someone complain to a manager that I type aggressively. Now that I use Logitech, it isn't as loud.

I guess some non-OCD people (slow workers?) just can't handle others being faster and more efficient. 🙂 Seriously, who complains about how fast someone else types!

:blush: I have at the request of a co-worker changed the keyboard I'm using, to a slightly softer keyed model, because of my noisy hunt and peck typing.

• call.copse (8/11/2016)

djackson 22568 (8/10/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/10/2016)

:blush: I have at the request of a co-worker changed the keyboard I'm using, to a slightly softer keyed model, because of my noisy hunt and peck typing.

My keyboard often remains deathly silent as I attend yet another meeting. [sigh] :crying:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (8/11/2016)

My keyboard often remains deathly silent as I attend yet another meeting. [sigh] :crying:

That's one problem with being the DBA, we're obliged to sit in on too many IT meetings, regardless of how peripheral our role in that project may be.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (8/11/2016)

Gary Varga (8/11/2016)

That's one problem with being the DBA, we're obliged to sit in on too many IT meetings, regardless of how peripheral our role in that project may be.

As a dev/architect I can say that it is an all too commonly shared problem.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• GlennB (8/10/2016)

"Actually, I think this is an issue, especially in large companies that may regularly hire consultants. Who knows what temporary workers might do with information they can gather by just sitting in proximity to a domain administrator. Or a DBA."

I'd like to point out that statistics show employees steal more from employers than do temp workers.

Steve, really?

I wonder whether the statistics you are looking at show total information stolen by temps versus total info stolen by perms, or average information stolen per temp versus average information stolen per perm. If it's totals, then obviosuly perms steal more - there are many times as many of them, and probably further up the hierarchy so they have access to more information.

I suspect that in general temps and perms are as or honest/dishonest as each other. But if a company employs temps, it's accepting the risk that a competing company has people whom it pays to get placed in temp jobs where they can acquire some useful info for it. Of course there's maybe a chance of such a competitor hiring someone to go in as a perm and steal the info, and then depart, or steal the info and stay in place to steal more later. A dishonest company (of which, sadly, there seems to be no shortage) can find dishonest individuals (...,sadly,...) to go in to its targets as temps or as perms.

Tom

• GlennB (8/10/2016)

"Actually, I think this is an issue, especially in large companies that may regularly hire consultants. Who knows what temporary workers might do with information they can gather by just sitting in proximity to a domain administrator. Or a DBA."

Steve, really?

I'm not sure what you mean? Regardless of statistics, one doesn't relate to the other. Both can occur, or neither. I've had consultants snag credentials (watching typing) as well as employees.

• Eric M Russell (8/11/2016)

Gary Varga (8/11/2016)

I have to comment on that, sorry for taking it even further off topic.

Just pray you never become a senior (but not extreme senior) manager in anything other than a very small company. You may discover that you have to provide input on everything, and do it in meetings where a lots of absolutely clueless people are providing a lot of input for you to take into acount.

edit: my experience suggests that the worst size company for this is between 200 and 500 people. Only 50 people means they can't afford to have too many people in meetings, because it costs too high a proportion of the available capability to do useful things. Anything over a couple of thousand people means that most senior people understand some well known principles and do their best not to get useful people's time wasted (that's "most" not "all", so there will still be a few time-wasting meetings to endure).

Tom

• It seems to me that wireless keyboards are OK in individual offices (and in hotel rooms, which was the first case I looked at way back in 2002 or 2003) provided the signal is sufficiently low powered and the walls/doors/windows make the signal unreadable from outside the room/office. They are not OK for use in rooms where people with different privileges (or even different logins with the same privilages) are likely to be simultaneously present. I find it quite shocking that the domumantation referenced in the editorial doesn't reference anything before 2009, but suspect that that's a result of nothing being publised in reputable journals in the early days.

I don't think wireless mouse is a security problem that will hand out information to atackers but it is a problem in that it allows an attack using injected mouse movements or interference that corrupts or loses mouse moveents - in particular a denial of (mouse) service attack - (and it could make you bankrupt through costing an incredible amount of money on batteries without anyone conducting an attack if it's not a rotor ball incorporated in the keyboard, or some equally low-power "mouse").

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply