Keyboard Hardlines

• It's the 'cable repair van' camped outside your company office I'd be more worried about than a temp stealing passwords 😉

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/10/2016)

I don't think I type too hard, but I do miss the old IBM, heavy, beige, clicky mechanical keyboards. I've had a few MS keyboards over the years, and those don't seem to last long either. This Logitech, slight wave fits me nicely, and works well.

I don't replace often, but in the 16 or so years I've been working from home on my own, I certainly have had 5 or 6 keyboards in that time. Rarely have I spilled coffee on the keyboards, but perhaps crumbs play a role. Usually I'll have 1-2 keys stop working and it almost prevents me from working.

Maybe a little OCD on my part with the response and performance of the keyboards.

I know I'm late to this party, but I had to post...

Steve, you can still get the classic IBM-style (buckling spring) keyboards. There's a company out there that has the license and is still putting them out, including USB models (I keep wanting to get one, but I bought a Das Keyboard a couple years back that's still chugging along) They've even got the old classic IBM layout available...

As for wireless keyboards and mice, they're not allowed where I work for the very reasons I suspect the article mentions (no, I've not read it yet.) Someone can potentially "sniff" someone's keystrokes remotely. I would say it's maybe 20-30 yards from me to the nearest public street, so all someone would need to do is sit on the sidewalk with a sniffer device, and they could pick up what I'm typing (depending on the wireless connection method.)

• TomThomson (8/11/2016)

It seems to me that wireless keyboards are OK in individual offices (and in hotel rooms, which was the first case I looked at way back in 2002 or 2003) provided the signal is sufficiently low powered and the walls/doors/windows make the signal unreadable from outside the room/office. They are not OK for use in rooms where people with different privileges (or even different logins with the same privilages) are likely to be simultaneously present. I find it quite shocking that the domumantation referenced in the editorial doesn't reference anything before 2009, but suspect that that's a result of nothing being publised in reputable journals in the early days.

I don't think wireless mouse is a security problem that will hand out information to atackers but it is a problem in that it allows an attack using injected mouse movements or interference that corrupts or loses mouse moveents - in particular a denial of (mouse) service attack - (and it could make you bankrupt through costing an incredible amount of money on batteries without anyone conducting an attack if it's not a rotor ball incorporated in the keyboard, or some equally low-power "mouse").

To add on to that - you'd want to ensure that you either employ NO wireless keyboards of mice in your data center or that you have appropriate dampening or interference in place. Forget key-logging - you could hijack the server simply by being able to remotely access the dongle that's plugged in. If you're not careful - wireless accessories plugged into machines within the data center could easily nullify your physical security controls.

If an admin steps away from the front of a machine within the datacenter, leaving it unlocked - you just have to connect to the little dongle, and voila - server access with admin privileges.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply