Knock, Knock…Who's There?

• Humor is like any other communication in that it does convey a point and does cause people to think. But it adds the laugh or at least a smile that we all need.

People who are often and easily offended are offensive to me and are potentially dangerous in the workplace. Laughter even at ones self is required. If you take everything seriously you are either looking for a heart attack or a lawsuit.

And remember humor is where you find it. And when it is least intended, as in a mistake, it is the funniest of all. We need to laugh more and grump less.

Miles...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Bill Keane has shuffled off the mortal coil, leaving legions of humor-starved fans clamoring for more. Honestly, I don't know if Family Circus is being ghost written/drawn or whether they just shuffle the archived stuff around in PhotoShop and plug in a suitably inane caption.

My absolute favorite Family Circus was where little Billy accidentally sat on a haggis and then got chased all over the neighborhood by ravenous Scots, starving because they had never had the opportunity to engorge themselves on a properly substantial CUSA supersized fastfood feast, let alone a 1.5 lb slab of grilled cow. Luckily, Billy made it thorough the back door before those murderous beserkers were able to catch up with him, but you could tell from the dotted lines all the different places he had visited on his journey. OMGROTFLMAO!! Hilarious!!!

• Before anyone castigates me for misspelling berserker, I really do know how to spell it -- just a typo -- don't get you kilt in a wad...

Dubya -- hah... now that's a FUNNY misspelling, kinda like something he might actually do if he tried to spell the letter "w", or worse yet, pronounce it.

He should be forced to eat haggis.

• jpowers (7/23/2008)

Some of my good friends are lifelong Republicans (and even they can't stand the current resident of the White House)

There are some people in this world who dislike their fellow man, and I HATE people like that.

• Miles Neale (7/23/2008)

Laughter even at ones self is required. ...Miles...

The safest type of humor is one where the joke is on yourself. No one else is likely to take offense at self-deprecating humor.

• Office humor - it just depends. It's necessary to keep the mood light at times, but I remember working under one person who would blow up sometimes and then crack jokes other times (often in much worse situations). I quickly lost all sense of humor around him because I'd never know how he would react. We recently commented in a team meeting about a "walking HR violation" just thinking about how laid-back we are and expressing gratitude that we are so laid back that we can get by with cracking jokes that most places can't.

In response to other comments:

USA Comics - Calvin & Hobbes, Dilbert, Baby Blues (if you're a parent), Sherman's Lagoon (sometimes at least)

I also appreciate British Comedy for the most part. Big fan of 'Allo, 'Allo and "Keeping Up Appearances" (older shows, but still funny). They do tend to take a little more intelligence to get all of the humor and I appreciate having to think a little bit.

As for humor in general, I remember reading Asimov's book on humor - it was pretty good and he seemed to come to the conclusion that what made a joke funny was the unexpected part of it - the punchline. He was also a big fan of "Shaggy Dog" jokes - the ones that go on and on setting up a scenario and adding a punchline at the very end. He also liked limericks a lot, but it seems that limericks naturally gravitate towards dirty jokes for some reason.

• Very good comments and a few smiles appearing over here from the jokes.

Not that I think all british humor is bad, but I don't like the UK version of the Office much, though I've only seen a couple episodes. I was a fan of Monty Python and Bennie Hill, but haven't seen much from that side of the pond I like beyond that. I certainly struggled when I was in the UK last year.

Not so much a Family Guy watcher; they're a bit over the top. Currently it's Two and a Half Men and Scrubs re-runs at the top of my list with The Office and Steve Carrell.

• Nobody has mentioned flatulence yet? Come on, farting is always funny. It has never gone out of style. Doesn't matter your race, color, or creed. Want to lighten up a serious meeting? Just let one rip. 🙂

I bet if you put a farting machine on the back of an AI robot, but don't make it part of the main system, and have it go off a few times a day, the robot would learn what humor is.

• I couldn't work in an environment with no humor, our jobs can be plenty stressful and the occasional need to blow off steam with bad humor is invaluable.

Perhaps the most fun place that I've worked was when I was at the police department, the stories and jokes were so amazing. In fact, a friend of mine got reprimanded and had to transfer out of the academy because of a joke he told that someone took offense at.

It was a good joke, too, I think the person was a little thin-skinned.

And since the occasional joke is creeping in:

A spaceman, a pirate, an indian, a cowboy, a Frenchman, a mime, and a blind man walk into a bar. The bar tender says: "What is this, some kind of joke?"

And in continuing the comments about good British television:

Hot Metal, Yes Minister/Prime Minister, Chef, Ripping Yarns, At Last The 1946 Show. And there was one called Agony, if I recall correctly, that I really liked.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• kevin77 (7/23/2008)

Nobody has mentioned flatulence yet? Come on, farting is always funny. It has never gone out of style. Doesn't matter your race, color, or creed. Want to lighten up a serious meeting? Just let one rip. 🙂

I bet if you put a farting machine on the back of an AI robot, but don't make it part of the main system, and have it go off a few times a day, the robot would learn what humor is.

Just shows you are much younger than I am. I recently bought the collected George Carlin DVD set and was watching one of his HBO specials from the late 70's where I was reminded that, at that time, not only could you not say the word referenced above on network TV, you couldn't even allude to it in a show. Carlin gave the example: "Didn't you ever once wonder why no one has even once started waving the air in front of them and said, 'Hey, Ed! Whew! What was that? Move down the couch, man!' "

• Of course we CUSAers understand humor. Look who we elected president (twice).:P

• ... and look who we are about to elect this time.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• And how we counted votes :w00t:

• The limerick packs laughs anatomical

Into space economical.

Though the good ones I've seen,

So seldom are clean.

And the clean ones so seldom are comical.

[font="Arial"]Ridiculum Ergo Sum[/font]

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/23/2008)

And how we counted votes :w00t:

Are you implying that there is a problem with employing psychics to determine "the will of the voter"? 😉

I really wish that there was a realistic way that the actual "best qualified" person could be the President of the USA, rather than whoever goes through the system. Of course, whoever wins the election will become the source of numerous jokes, regardless of their party affiliation.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply