log shipping from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 in order to keep the tow databases in sync

• HI All

i have to keep two databases in sync one in prod sql 2000 and one in dev sql 2008, need steps or scripts to do log shipping from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 in order to keep the tow databases in sync.

Thanks for stopping by

• why would you want a dev database that is in restoring state?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• You can log ship 2000 - 2008, but the secondary database will be in the restoring state and will be completely inaccessible.

Perhaps replication is more what you need (but replicating prod -> dev could create all sorts of security nightmares)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi, perry

my bad we are moving the sql 2000 db i,e production to sql 2008 dev so, we are tesing

Thank you

• Ok so if youre moving a copy to dev why are you log shipping it? The log shipped database will not be in a state that will allow access to the database. The most log shipping allows in a supported configuration is read only. Why not just backup and restore to the dev server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• perry,

we are testing eventually we want to move to 2008 and it can be read only mode i guess right wile applying logs

• Ok but if you log ship between 2000 and 2008 the database can only be in restoring mode!!!

• perry,

that's fine if it is in restoration mode, but i want to know step by step

• What edition is your SQL 2000 instance?

• perry,

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2055 (Intel X86) Dec 16 2008 19:46:53 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

• Sql server 2000 standard does not support log shipping!

• perry,

but there are some scripts i guess i saw some people doing it

• harita (8/31/2011)

perry,

but there are some scripts i guess i saw some people doing it

Log Shipping consist of three operations:

1- A transaction log backup job (on the primary)

2- A copy job (copies the transaction log backups from the primary to the standby Server

3- The restore job on the secondary.

You can try to create your own jobs (I will not recommend it). Why do you want to do this?

• You may want to take a look at this[/url]. I have no idea if it will work in your case.

• Harita

What is the editon of SQL Server you are using?

Irrespective of edition you can perform the log shipping using script method. Bear in mind you cannot perform any FAILBACK method from secondary server to primary server, due to the version differences.

Further if this is test purpose only for your upgrade practice, make sure you have scripted out logins, linked server and DTS packages (again migration or rewrite them in SSIS) that will make a way for better upgrade process in the future.

-Satya SK Jayanty
    SQL Server MVP (Follow me @sqlmaster)
    Author of SQL Server 2008 R2 Administration CookBook
    SQL Server Knowledge Sharing network

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply