Login can't be deleted because it granted permissions

• I'm trying to delete an individual login from a server but am failing because the login "has granted one or more permission(s).". When I run the below, code, it tells me that I granted an endpoint permission.

Select * from sys.server_permissions

where grantor_principal_id =

(Select principal_id from sys.server_principals where name = N'MyLogin')

class class_desc major_id minor_id grantee_principal_id grantor_principal_id type permission_name state state_desc

105 ENDPOINT 65536 0 259 282 CO CONNECT G GRANT

Except this is a new server and I don't remember creating any endpoints. There are a lot of items under "endpoints" in the GUI. How do I figure out what it was I created so that I can remove it?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie

I'm guessing you've set up mirroring on the server?

SELECT

l.name AS LoginName

, e.name AS EndpointName

FROM sys.server_permissions p

JOIN sys.server_principals l ON p.grantor_principal_id = l.principal_id

JOIN sys.endpoints e ON p.major_id = e.endpoint_id

WHERE p.class_desc = 'ENDPOINT'

John

• John Mitchell-245523 (3/10/2016)

Brandie

I'm guessing you've set up mirroring on the server?

SELECT

l.name AS LoginName

, e.name AS EndpointName

FROM sys.server_permissions p

JOIN sys.server_principals l ON p.grantor_principal_id = l.principal_id

JOIN sys.endpoints e ON p.major_id = e.endpoint_id

WHERE p.class_desc = 'ENDPOINT'

John

Thank you for that code. It helped me identify the component.

I don't remember setting up mirroring on this server. Unless I was only doing a quick test, then broke the mirror and forgot to delete everything. But still, I just don't remember doing this.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Grr. Having this issue with another login.

This login does NOT have sysadmin and can't create endpoints. In fact, when I run all the code, I can't find anything that this login granted permission on. Yet I cannot delete it from the server or the database level.

Server level permissions are "public" only. It is a db_owner in the database. How do I find out what permissions it granted in the database?

• Brandie Tarvin (3/10/2016)

Grr. Having this issue with another login.

This login does NOT have sysadmin and can't create endpoints. In fact, when I run all the code, I can't find anything that this login granted permission on. Yet I cannot delete it from the server or the database level.

Server level permissions are "public" only. It is a db_owner in the database. How do I find out what permissions it granted in the database?

Complete error message?

• It is a db_owner in the database

are you trying to delete the actual owner of the database?

• Lynn Pettis (3/25/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (3/10/2016)

Grr. Having this issue with another login.

Complete error message?

Drop failed for User 'Username'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Additional Information:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.

(Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

The database principal has granted or denied permissions to objects in the database

and cannot be dropped. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15284)

• Jon.Morisi (3/25/2016)

It is a db_owner in the database

are you trying to delete the actual owner of the database?

No. The databases are owned by my user name. I'm trying to drop an application login.

But you bring up a good point. I should check to see who / what owns db_owner.

EDIT: The properties of db_owner says it is owned by dbo, not the application account in question.

• The database principal has granted or denied permissions to objects in the database

The part above would lead me to think the account, somewhere, somehow, did what it says.

A quick-and-dirty query to check for any privileges granted / denied via the acct:

use [DBName];

go

select sdpr.name as [GrantorName]

, sdpr.type_desc

, (select name from sys.database_principals where principal_id = sdp.grantee_principal_id) as [GranteeName]

, sdp.class_desc

, sdp.permission_name

, sdp.state_desc

from sys.database_principals as sdpr

inner join sys.database_permissions as sdp

on sdpr.principal_id = sdp.grantor_principal_id

--where sdpr.principal_id = ##

--where sdpr.name = 'Acct name';

Uncomment out one of the WHERE clauses and put in the appropriate name or id to filter things down, see if that maybe finds something.

• jasona.work (3/28/2016)

The database principal has granted or denied permissions to objects in the database

The part above would lead me to think the account, somewhere, somehow, did what it says.

I agree with that. The problem is finding what it granted or denied. Nothing I was trying helped me discover that.

jasona.work (3/28/2016)

A quick-and-dirty query to check for any privileges granted / denied via the acct:

use [DBName];

go

, sdpr.type_desc

, (select name from sys.database_principals where principal_id = sdp.grantee_principal_id) as [GranteeName]

, sdp.class_desc

, sdp.permission_name

, sdp.state_desc

Uncomment out one of the WHERE clauses and put in the appropriate name or id to filter things down, see if that maybe finds something.

Thank you for the code. As soon as my coworker gets done fiddling with the instance (he's taken it down), I'll see what this brings up for me.

• <headdesk>

IMPERSONATE.

That's the stupid hangup. IMPERSONATE.

GAH.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/28/2016)

<headdesk>

IMPERSONATE.

GAH.

Could be worse...

You could've not found anything...

😀

Rather annoying though, how difficult it can be to track down things like this, in the UI.

Brandie Tarvin (3/28/2016)

<headdesk>

IMPERSONATE.

GAH.

Could be worse...

😀

Rather annoying though, how difficult it can be to track down things like this, in the UI.

Finding nothing was exactly what I was worried about. @=)

Thank you for the code. It helped. EDIT: Because you are correct that I couldn't find a darn thing in the UI.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/28/2016)

jasona.work (3/28/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (3/28/2016)

<headdesk>

IMPERSONATE.

GAH.

Could be worse...

😀

Finding nothing was exactly what I was worried about. @=)

Thank you for the code. It helped. EDIT: Because you are correct that I couldn't find a darn thing in the UI.

You're quite welcome, glad to have helped!

use [DBName];

go

, sdpr.type_desc

, sdp.class_desc

, sdp.permission_name

, sdp.state_desc

Jason,

Is this expected output for your code?

GrantorName type_desc GranteeName class_desc permission_name state_desc

MySQLAcct SQL_USER Domain\MyWindowsAcct DATABASE_PRINCIPAL IMPERSONATE GRANT

Domain\MyWindowsAcct WINDOWS_USER MySQLAcct DATABASE_PRINCIPAL IMPERSONATE GRANT

They can't both have granted IMPERSONATE to each other, can they?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply