MMC.EXE Entry point not found ....Enterprise Manager failing on XP client

• I have installed Enterprise manager on an XP workstation. Install completed OK.

However when I start Enterprise manager I get error MMC.exe Entry Point not found.The procedure entry point ? ProcessExecute @@YAXPAUHWND__@@PBG1@2 could not be located in the dll SEMSFC.DLL

Has anyone come across this before and have a fix please?

Thanks

• Try uninstall and reinstall.

• I had the same issue. It didn't resolve until i re-install the sql server.!

My Blog: http://dineshasanka.spaces.live.com/

• I tried uninstalling and reinstall, but the error doesn't go. Is it related to Service Patches?

• Hi,

Does anybody has a solution for this please.

• You installed SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager on a workstation with SQL Server 2005 Management Studio already installed. 

You cannot run them side-by-side.  Best case is to follow these instructions:

http://blogs.msdn.com/mab/archive/2006/03/18/554466.aspx

Hope this helps

Mark

• Not entirely correct. You can run both side by side without any issues whatsoever UNTIL you install the "SQL 2000 DTS Designer Components" for SQL 2005 Management Studio. I made the mistake of doing so while comparing the capabilities of the two in order to see which application would best suit my needs. Oops!

If you need both, edit packages in 2000 DTS Designer and don't install this add-in for 2005 Management Studio.

• I probably don't need to say this is a real pain in the a?? and a warning before installing the Add-In was due.

The fact that a basic MMC Manage command does not work on your workstation is just scarry.

I did, however, get it to work following Mark's steps. That is, I can use DTS packages from both angles - EM and Management Studio.

{Francisco}

• It is true that the dts components for 2005 does in fact cause the screw up.

However, you can get over this by installing sql server 2000 service pack 4. Worked for me and for everyone else on my team.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• Yeah this really sucks.  Just trying to evaluate the 2005 DTS sent my working installation south.  I reinstalled the MMC from the CD: NO JOY!!

Installed sp3 after that: JOY!!!

A warning is definitely needed!

• Yes, I have teh same problem and just reinstalling SQL 2000 SP4 worked!!

Thanks for every all

• If by no means SQL 2000 SP4 and SP3 are not fixing this error then you need to do a clean install:

- install SQL 2000 client

- install SQL 2005 server

- install sqlserver2005_dts.msi

Then

- uninstall all of the above (I sequentially uninstalled 2000, 2005 and the dts addins)

- reinstall SQL 2000 and try EM - it should now work

- you then can reinstall SQL 2005 server but NOT sqlserver2005_dts.msi

You might have to do few reboots in the process (I did 1 after uninstalling everything).

Hope it helps

T

• I'm having the same issue but applying and reapplying SP 4 did not work. Any suggestions?

• You probably need to follow the steps mentioned above in a sequential order. It took me a while to make it work and I still dont have a clear understanding of what had happened. Applying and re-applying the SP did not solve the problem (ie I did not apply SP 4 for sql 2000, only until SP 3a).

you need to uninstall everything and do a clean install.

• I was able to get it working partically using the steps outlined. The only other thing that I did was to physcialy remove the entire MSSQL folder (actually moved it to a different drive) before rebooting. Once that was completed and after several other reboots EM was working again. I then installed SP4 and all is well so far.

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply