More, More, More

• First, my hat is off to Steve and the rest of the crew that have made this site (IMHO) the best SQL Server related site in the world. I'd be very careful about changing anything because it's bloody well nearly perfect in my eyes.

There are a couple of things I've seen on this thread, though.... some I agree with and some I don't....

1. I whole heartedly agree that the Search Engine for this site is in need of a major overhaul.

2. Better categorization of articles would be helpful.

3. No... I disagree... old threads should NEVER be locked. Every once in a while, I'll come across one that I absolutely disagree with (either in code or in principle) and to protect those that may read the bum dope, all threads should be open for correction by anyone who can make a correction at all times.

4. It would be WAY cool if we didn't have to mess with formatting articles so much... a more "Word" like interface (or just being able to take word articles without modification) would be awesome.

5. It would be nice if all of the editing tools at the top of the window worked correctly like they did way back before the new forum style was setup. The list of available Icons should be expanded (with code that actually works) so you don't have to select IFCode Shortcuts (which could be removed from the left pane/pain of the edit window once all of the Icons work).

I think this is an outstanding site and I just wouldn't change much about it. There is such a thing as becoming less successful just for the sake of change.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (5/14/2010)

3. No... I disagree... old threads should NEVER be locked. Every once in a while, I'll come across one that I absolutely disagree with (either in code or in principle) and to protect those that may read the bum dope, all threads should be open for correction by anyone who can make a correction at all times.

I see your point here - perhaps then, a, for lack of a better term, a warning that states this post is X days / Months / Years old...

My hope was to slow people from finding an issue 2 + years old and add a post something to the effect of "I am having the same problem", over creating a new post.

-- Cory

• First off, like many others I find the site to be fantastic. I don't personally use the search engine very much (I use Google for all my searches) so I can't comment on it.

As for adding videos and such, perhaps you could just link to the videos that are already out there, such as from Microsoft or SQLShare.

Also, SQLShare has a level indicator that I think might be useful for articles. Others mentioned better categorization for the articles and blogs, so how about assigning them a level based on complexity so that readers can identify if an article is for beginners (i.e. 100 level) or more advanced (200 up to 600).

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for everything.:-)

--

Kevin C.

• Cory E. (5/14/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/14/2010)

I see your point here - perhaps then, a, for lack of a better term, a warning that states this post is X days / Months / Years old...

My hope was to slow people from finding an issue 2 + years old and add a post something to the effect of "I am having the same problem", over creating a new post.

Any new comments on a post still show up on the main page under "Latest Forum Posts", right?

Maybe if there were another page that lists more of the recent posts, that'd help people know there was a new comment awaiting reply. As it is, any new comment on an old post probably scrolls off the main page pretty quickly.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Jeff Moden (5/14/2010)

First, my hat is off to Steve and the rest of the crew that have made this site (IMHO) the best SQL Server related site in the world. I'd be very careful about changing anything because it's bloody well nearly perfect in my eyes.

Agreed

The formatting of articles is quite a pain. Worse is when the article is nearly complete with the formatting and then the tool throws an exception and you have to start over from the last manual save point. Being able to submit an article in a friendlier format would be nice.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Stefan Krzywicki (5/14/2010)

Any new comments on a post still show up on the main page under "Latest Forum Posts", right?

Maybe if there were another page that lists more of the recent posts, that'd help people know there was a new comment awaiting reply. As it is, any new comment on an old post probably scrolls off the main page pretty quickly.

Already there... at the top of each forum page, just click on "Recent Posts"

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I think the site is fantastic as it is. I really make it a point to read the editorials which are always thought provoking. I would advise leaving things as they are.

Maybe ask the same question in another year or so.

• Stefan Krzywicki (5/14/2010)

Cory E. (5/14/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/14/2010)

The Main page is supposed to be a teaser and could never contain all of the new posts because there are way too many. I click on "Forums" ,"Recent Posts" and get about the last 24 hours of posts (new and old) in chronlogical order. You can also get the posts that occurred since your last login.

Heh... please don't put all the new posts on the main page. 🙂

{edit} Just now saw Wayne's post but left mine for emphasis.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Cory E. (5/14/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/14/2010)

I actually don't mind that for a couple of reasons... First, if they piggy back an old post like that, chances are the old post didn't have an answer either... allows you to kill two birds with one stone. Second, it lets you know right up front that the person was trying a search which we always bug people to do. We hate cross posts so why the need for special handling just because someone piggy backs an old post?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I'd like to second the suggestion to email the whole comment for forum notifications, and also the digest option (daily or weekly or both). As an option, no one would be required to use it, but it would cut down on the many emails I get that contain only a link to what is basically the same page with one more reply listed. Sometimes I want that frequency of notification, but other times I don't - and yet I don't want to unsubscribe from the thread either for fear of having it fall completely off my radar. A digest would serve as a nice compromise notification feature.

Digests may be hard to implement, though, so I guess you'd have to do a cost-benefit analysis. But I would cast a vote for them.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Jeff Moden (5/14/2010)

Cory E. (5/14/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/14/2010)

I actually don't mind that for a couple of reasons... First, if they piggy back an old post like that, chances are the old post didn't have an answer either... allows you to kill two birds with one stone. Second, it lets you know right up front that the person was trying a search which we always bug people to do. We hate cross posts so why the need for special handling just because someone piggy backs an old post?

What bugs me is when people resurrect an old thread to post an answer that's less accurate/useful than an answer already posted in the thread.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • What bugs me is when people resurrect an old thread to post an answer that's less accurate/useful than an answer already posted in the thread.

This is a difficult problem to solve. Voting per se doesn't seem to cure it. On StackOverflow, an incorrect answer can often somehow accumulate votes (sympathy votes?) and float to the top. One then pops in a correct answer, and nobody looks at it, because the incorrect one has become so entrenched.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• GilaMonster (5/14/2010)

What bugs me is when people resurrect an old thread to post an answer that's less accurate/useful than an answer already posted in the thread.

Heh... absolutely agreed. I guess there's no real fix for that without disabling other features... that's why it's good to keep a bucket of pork chops at the ready. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I agree with Gail about sorting out the article and especially the script indexing.

If I google for a script I will usually find an SSC answer at or close to the top and always go for that since it's usually the most reliable. However searching the site directly for the same thing is a minefield as there are too many similar tags. More exact categorisation would really help and, of course, whatever can be done to keep SSC at the top of google search results.

I can't use any of the pod cast, video, audio etc at work and am always disappointed when I google something and the result is a video or audio link.

With the growth in BI and SQL Server as a BI tool and a current demand for business reporting and data warehousing, I am looking more and more for articles and scripts on SSIS, SSAS and SSRS.

• Different people learn in different ways. Some need to see the thing happening before they understand. Some need to read the details before they understand. This means no single method of presentation will work for everybody, and that a variety of presentation methods need to be used.

For me, I seldom look at podcasts as I feel mostly I can learn the same amount in a fraction of the time by reading. But I also subscribe to SQLShare and when I see something I need to know than I will look at the video.

The one thing I would really like to see on SqlServerCentral is some way to mark an answer as good quality. Maybe a good way is to allow people to vote (positive or negative) against a given posting to show what quality they think it is. There are many people who are regular posters who would agree they have answered the same question many times over the years, and there are probably many rookie posters who have seen a variety of answers to a question but do not know which (or who) to trust. Being able to vote and search on the quality of the post could help reduce duplication and guide people to the best place.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply