New Company, new DBA Tools budget, can you recommend any?

• All

I am at a new company that has a new budget to spend on DBA tools.

I really like the Redgate SQL Compare (maybe the whole toolbelt will be purchased ) and Sybase PowerDesigner.

Anyone other tools that you use all the time that you would like to recommend?

Thanks in Advance

Eric Peterson

• Redgate has some great tools.

Also check out ApexSQL (www.apexsql.com). Similar to Redgate. Some overlap, some differences, some it's hard to tell the difference without checking the logo.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Do you have any tool for compressed back ups? Litespeed 2005 from Quest is pretty good for compressed DB back ups.

-Roy

• The client is currently using Ideara's backup with compression. I think the redgate SQL Toolbelt comes with their SQL Backup tool.....which works as fast and compresses the backsups just as well.

I like lightspeed, but it is too expensive when you can get Idera or Redgate for much less and similar performance.

Thanks for your post.....I will make sure a backup compression tool is added to the list

Eric

• which APex tools do you use and really like?

• Apex tools I use and like: Diff, Log, Report, Doc

I have licenses for some of the others, but don't find I use them that much. Their Edit and Code applications are good, but I don't end up using them because I type all my SQL by hand and I don't write enough front/middle tier code to make Code matter to me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I hear great things about the Apex Editor and SQLPrompt from Red Gate.

If you have a nice budget, Erbarkadero has a nice modeling tool if you have a use for it.

• You might want to try out Hyperbac for backups too.

Quest also has a free schema, data compare tool - its not up to Redgate as far as features go but it is zero cost.

Cheers

Dave.

• Heh... everyone forgets a couple of the most important tools you could ever have in you DBA toolbelt...

A full up copy of MS Office Pro so that you can test all the crazy code you'll be asked to install that imports/exports to spreadsheets and Access databases. Power point will have a good use for you to give presentations on how things should be done. MS Word is particularlly important... that's what you need to write your "SQL Code Standards" with...

... Oh yeah... almost forgot... minor cost but works real well... you'll need a hammer to drive a 16 penny nail into the bat you have to buy to enforce the standards 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• No hammers or nails needed. Just $20-25 for tokens at the batting cage. Get a nice 34-incher.

• A bat with a nail? How primitive! I want a taser, preferably with a laser-sight on it (even if it doesn't work at a distance)! I have techno-geek standards to maintain here! 🙂

Property of The Thread

• We have Idera's Compliance Manager, Diagnostic Manager & SQLSafe. Been happy with all 3. They seem to discount off "list price" so consider that when comparing.

I think all companies will give you 14 or 30 days free trial. That's probably the best thing to do .... see which you like with some hands-on testing, and get some real quotes so you can get the best comparison.

• GSquared (1/15/2008)

A bat with a nail? How primitive! I want a taser, preferably with a laser-sight on it (even if it doesn't work at a distance)! I have techno-geek standards to maintain here! 🙂

Heh... Too much old school on my part... I'll meet you half way, though... Taser... with a nail in it 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Does anyone have experience with the freeware version of SqlSafe? Can this product safely used in a production enviroment?

• Paul Bakker (1/16/2008)

Does anyone have experience with the freeware version of SqlSafe? Can this product safely used in a production enviroment?

Heh... freeware...

My recommendation is that you read the license for the "freeware". It will, many times, say something like "free for the first 90 days. After that, you must buy the product". And, if you don't actually "buy" the product, then you are in violation of Federal Copyright Laws and if the SPA ever pulls an audit on your company because some PO'd employee "threw you under the bus", you're company will pay THOUSANDS of dollars for each copy of your "freeware" that has gone past the trial period. And, no, prison time is NOT out of the question. Guess how easy it will be for YOU to get a job after that even if you don't go to prison? 😉

Other disadvantages of freeware... who are you going to call if there's a problem and you can't actually read your stored data anymore? Who are you going to call when you download the latest copy and it eats your data? Who are you going to call when Microsoft makes an upgrade either to SQL Server or the underlying Operating System software and you can no longer read what you've stored?

"Freeware"? You'll find that, over time, it aint so free. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply