One Million Posts

• GPO (10/7/2010)

What's the point of ten posts a day that say nothing more than "Nice post Jeff", or "Good one Gail" or whatever?

I often say that to myself as I read one of their posts. I guess it's a way of saying thanks for the contributions that they make.

• Congratulations!!!

• Thank all of you who help me to find solutions ...

• Scott Arendt (10/7/2010)

GPO (10/7/2010)

What's the point of ten posts a day that say nothing more than "Nice post Jeff", or "Good one Gail" or whatever?

I often say that to myself as I read one of their posts. I guess it's a way of saying thanks for the contributions that they make.

I have to admit, it's good to hear sometimes. Thanks folks.

As a side bar, I got a huge laugh from my local PASS group when I introduced myself a while back at the beginning of the presentation and said "... and I have over 15 thousand posts on SQLServerCentral.com... and some of those are actually useful!" 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• <vacuous post>

Woo hoo! Congrats!

What is the over/under for 2 million posts?

</vacuous post>

• Hey Steve Jones,

Thanks for being here and for all the things you do! A million posts could not have happened without you!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks Steve. Also thank-you RedGate and all others who have something to do with this site being here.

Thanks to all those who try to help others.

The main reason why the site is still here, why there's over 1 million people that registered on this site, and why we did hit the 1 million post mark, is that there are people willing to help others for free. Thanks to all of you.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (10/7/2010)

IMO a points based system leads to worse answers as people chase the points posting the easy answer.

Issue such as pointing out poor design leading to scalablility issues are not addressed due to the 'gimme the points' answer.

I do not agree 100% with the above statement. Very few people will actually benefit from the number of points they accumulate on this site. Yes, some will get a certain amount of pride from it. Some will be well earned. Some will be meaningless.

Also people should remember that many of us will try to help without even thinking about the points we will earn. I know I don't care. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• CONGRATS!! Awesome milestone.

You say 3 can't answer everything, which is obviously true. But you still have a top-weighted dedicated few who provide LOT of the help here. I wonder if the top 10 posters aren't 10 or more percent of the total posts. Pretty amazing too!

Love the site, and I bet it doesn't take 9 years to get to the second million! 🙂

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Thanks, everyone, and thank you are well for posting here, helping others, and building a great community where we can spend a few minutes with each other during our careers.

I have to say that the forums, and the discussions are one of the highlights of my day most days.

• Thanks are necessary for Steve and the founding trio for starting SSC. Thanks for keeping it going and thanks to all the rest of the community for helping to sustain it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Congratulations!!! It is a great achievement. This is the best site for any DBAs and Developers and overall to all SQL Server Lovers.

• TheSQLGuru (10/7/2010)

I wonder if the top 10 posters aren't 10 or more percent of the total posts.

If you do the maths, it works out that the top 3 posters (Steve, Jeff, myself) account for a total of 66290 posts. That's 6.6% of all posts. The top 5 posters combined account for 8.9% of all posts.

Scary.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/7/2010)

TheSQLGuru (10/7/2010)

I wonder if the top 10 posters aren't 10 or more percent of the total posts.

If you do the maths, it works out that the top 3 posters (Steve, Jeff, myself) account for a total of 66290 posts. That's 6.6% of all posts. The top 5 posters combined account for 8.9% of all posts.

Scary.

Scary indeed - you guys have been quite busy.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Proud to be part of this great SQL Community ... Congrats and wish you (contributors) all the best ...!

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply