Replication not installed?

• On Windows 2008 SE server, have SS 2008 SE installed. When I attempt to start a publication, I receive one of two messages:

Initially, 'Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio is unable to access replication components because replication is not installed on this instance of SQL Server...Additional Information: SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, <servername>\<instancename>.'

I am able to connect SSMS by using <servername> only. When I attempt to connect, locally, using the fully qualified <server>\<instance>, I fail with a error code 26. Only VIA is disabled in configuration, and the order is 1 Shared Memory, 2 IT/CNP and 3 Named Pipes. Installation used same service account for all components, but did use a named instance (only variation from default settings for installation). Using 1433/1434 ports. Installation performed using same Windows login id using to authenticate to instance.

As Miss Clavelle said in Madeleine, 'Something is not quite right.' I just have no clue what is not right (or how to fix it) or where to even start looking for anything less generic than the 26 error message.

• Sounds like an alias was created for this server or this server is clustered. Will you confirm the aliases in SQL Server configuration manager?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (3/21/2012)

Sounds like an alias was created for this server or this server is clustered. Will you confirm the aliases in SQL Server configuration manager?

When you say alias, do you mean the server itself or the SQL Server instance? When I installed the instance yesterday afternoon, I did not specify an alias. Would one have been created without my knowledge? How would I know for sure? I did go into the configuration manager and assign the IPAll address 1433, but no other deliberate changes were made. Even if an alias was created for me, why would that override an explicit naming for the machine\instance?

• Named or default instance?

Learn Extended Events

• Named instance.

• Its also possible to duplicate this error if the server has previously been renamed.

Are you accessing the server through a dns alias?

Make a connection to the server and SELECT @@SERVERNAME to check

• When you installed SQL server, did you ensure the replication components were selected as a component to be installed?

Learn Extended Events

• MysteryJimbo (3/21/2012)

Its also possible to duplicate this error if the server has previously been renamed.

The server was renamed PRIOR to installing this instance. The results of @@SERVERNAME, when specified for connecting to the server, results in a 26 error code.

Will I need to remove all instances from the server and start over to get a clean slate?

• SQLRNNR (3/21/2012)

When you installed SQL server, did you ensure the replication components were selected as a component to be installed?

Jason, I did ensure the replication components were selected. When I go to the installer to add them, it confirms the replication components are already installed. I think there is fundamentally an issue with connectivity, but the GUI is perfectly opaque about what goes on behind the scenes.

• steve smith-401573 (3/21/2012)

MysteryJimbo (3/21/2012)

Its also possible to duplicate this error if the server has previously been renamed.

The server was renamed PRIOR to installing this instance. The results of @@SERVERNAME, when specified for connecting to the server, results in a 26 error code.

Will I need to remove all instances from the server and start over to get a clean slate?

Check to see if the browser service is running. I would expect that it is - but to verify.

If it is running and error 26 is still cropping up - then I would remove and reinstall the other instances (if plausible).

Learn Extended Events

• Since the browser is running, I've concluded that it's more appropriate to wipe everything clean and start over, even though I hate to resort to brute force like this...if I'm still having issues, then to quote a former CA governor, I'll be back...

MysteryJimbo (3/21/2012)

Not necessarily. Does the Windows host name match the one returned by SQL Server?

If not the instance can be renamed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx

• Instance or Server Name? My understanding is you CANNOT rename an instance. The article referenced talks about renaming the server. And, yes, the server name matches the database contents.

Instance or Server Name? My understanding is you CANNOT rename an instance. The article referenced talks about renaming the server. And, yes, the server name matches the database contents.

You cannot rename an instance, but you can rename the hostname component of a named instance connection <hostname>\<instance>

So the servername returned by @@SERVER has an identical hostname component? And you cannot connect to the instance using this string?

SQL Browser would be my first answer in the event this is a named instance

• OK... created a new instance, can successfully connect locally using SSMS, <server>\<instance and windows authentication.

Only shared memory and IP/TCP are enabled. However, from the publisher's machine I am able to connect to the target instance only by specifying the IP address alone. If I try to use <server>\<instance>, I receive error 26. ping <server> correctly resolves the internal IP address across the VPN. Both virtual machines have identical versions of SQL Server 2008 SP 3.

No Active Directory is involved (no domains). What have I forgotten to do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply