Revision Control Software

• I've used Visual Source Safe in the past, but I think the only version of that we have where I am now is VSS6. I'm hoping to get a system that will allow us to store table and view definitions, stored procedures, ssis packages, dts packages and more. We're using SQL Server 2008 R2, but have some SQL Server 2000 legacy packages that we want to keep in storage.

Does anyone have something they'd recommend? Something you'd stay away from?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/22/2011)

Something you'd stay away from?

Visual Source Safe 😀

I've been using CVS and SVN for many years and they work like a charm. Red-Gate SQL source control[/url] works well with both.

You can also integrate your Windows shell with TortoiseCVS/SNV and manage the repository very easily.

Hope this helps!

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/22/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/22/2011)

Something you'd stay away from?

Visual Source Safe 😀

I've been using CVS and SVN for many years and they work like a charm. Red-Gate SQL source control[/url] works well with both.

You can also integrate your Windows shell with TortoiseCVS/SNV and manage the repository very easily.

Hope this helps!

Gianluca

Great, gives me a place to start my research.

Why do you dislike VSS? I know a lot of people bitch about it.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• If it is within my power, I shall. I don't get to make the final selection though and may have to live with it.

• What's the budget? Team Foundation Server Source Control (TFSSC) has got the goods. I have not found it to be super-friendly with SSMS in terms of seemless development-ide/code-repository integration though so I hop back and forth between SSMS and the TFSSC interface (Team Explorer on top of Visual Studio in my case).

I have found SVN to be an ample stand-in but same development-ide/code-repository integration challenges.

I think RedGate Source Control solves the integration issue...i.e. it can sit on top of an existing source code repository and expose it through SSMS, so it could actually be combined with one of the repositories mentioned. Not sure if there is an option where it can maintain its own stand-alone code repository.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (6/22/2011)

What's the budget? Team Foundation Server Source Control (TFSSC) has got the goods. I have not found it to be super-friendly with SSMS in terms of seemless development-ide/code-repository integration though so I hop back and forth between SSMS and the TFSSC interface (Team Explorer on top of Visual Studio in my case).

I have found SVN to be an ample stand-in but same development-ide/code-repository integration challenges.

I think RedGate Source Control solves the integration issue...i.e. it can sit on top of an existing source code repository and expose it through SSMS, so it could actually be combined with one of the repositories mentioned. Not sure if there is an option where it can maintain its own stand-alone code repository.

I have no idea what our budget is, I'm just trying to figure out what our options are and I'll let the people with the purse strings make the decision.

• TFS is pricey, but if your org drinks the KoolAid it can replace a lot of disparate tools and I have seen it deliver on its cost. It's a full lifecycle tool. Source Control is just one subsystem within it, but it's sweet.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (6/22/2011)

TFS is pricey, but if your org drinks the KoolAid it can replace a lot of disparate tools and I have seen it deliver on its cost. It's a full lifecycle tool. Source Control is just one subsystem within it, but it's sweet.

I'll take a look. We're a small shop and I don't know how big the appetite for this is, but it can't hurt to make it part of the research. Thanks!

• If you are just a MS shop, TFS has some nice SQL and VS integration. I might also look at Git/Mercurial as well if you are distributed at all.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/22/2011)

If you are just a MS shop, TFS has some nice SQL and VS integration. I might also look at Git/Mercurial as well if you are distributed at all.

We are an MS shop.

• I am using a source control software called SourceAnywhere, so far it works quite good for me. You can try this, they have free license to use.

I just copy&paste some info for your reference.

official site: http://www.dynamsoft.com/

there are 3 products,hosted, standalone and 'for VSS'. All support SQL dev.

'For VSS', will still use your VSS repository. Standalone version can migrate the data from VSS.

I am using hosted now and used standalone and 'for VSS' before, you can ask me if you have any questions.

• Another vote for SVN and the TortoiseSVN shell extension. Allegedly GIT is better with a distributed repository but I have relied on SVN for years, and it has never let me down so Ihave stuck with it.

You do need to be disciplined and treat stored procs etc IN the database as "object code" and NEVER edit them directly in SSMS, but rather edit in a source code directory that is checked out from SVN.

The fact that it highlights changed files in explorer makes it really easy to tell what has changed since you last committed changes in.

Mike

• Having used SVN , VSS , TFS and Redgate Source control , I would go with TFS or Redgate Source control since these are more coupled with SQL and also allows for additional activities such as automated deployment etc.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Jayanth_Kurup (6/23/2011)

Having used SVN , VSS , TFS and Redgate Source control , I would go with TFS or Redgate Source control since these are more coupled with SQL and also allows for additional activities such as automated deployment etc.

Does Redgate have its own source control or does it just integrate other source controls with SSMS?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply