server name after migration

• We are doing some migration from SQl server 2005 to 2008 R2.

We migrate from an older server to new server.

What do you as a DBA usually do about the server name,

Do you change the new server name to the Old production server name after migration, or leave it as the new server name, and ask application end to change it?

What is better option?

Thanks

• We always try to keep the server name the same. This way, they do not have to change the connection strings in every single application config.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Keeping the same server name would cover you, but in my experience that is an option less so than it is an option.

Ideally I try to use something like Cisco's Global Site Selector (GSS) to abstract the physical server name. The poor mans version I use when GSS is not around is standard DNS. Either way your physical machine names are not tied to your application configuration files. Planning ahead, you would want a GSS/DNS name for each application in case you needed to move an application's databases onto another instance, only the one GSS/DNS name would be affected and the rest of the GSS/DNS names pointed to that instance stay as-is.

When you're ready to migrate your server you would just change your GSS/DNS entry and your client apps start hitting the new instance, i.e. your application configuration files are unaffected.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• SQLKnowItAll (4/9/2012)

We always try to keep the server name the same. This way, they do not have to change the connection strings in every single application config.

So, what exactly the step you do for keeping the same name?

By changing the server name, will that leave some foot print of original server name here and there on the server?

Thanks

• Rename the windows host

Rename the SQL instance.

• You can use SQL Aliases for this, we configure every SQL client using a standard .reg file that contains server\instance details, it doesn't cover every applications as there is stuff out there that just doesn't work using an alias in the connect string but typically we have 75+% of apps working like this now. We typically push out a new .reg file using SCCM when things change.

• Hi,

Here we are migrating the complete Server from one version to another version .i.e. one Physical or Virtual Server to another Physical or Virtual Server. So the Server name will be changed and whatever the changes required at Application level, those should be changed as per the new Server name.

• That is what we do too. Use the new server name.

So what is the better option ?

• sqlfriends (4/10/2012)

That is what we do too. Use the new server name.

So what is the better option ?

You have been given many viable options, all worked for one or more on the thread in the given environment. Better is subjective...i.e. only you can decide.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks, but my question about this is not answered yet.

By changing the server name, will that leave some foot print of original server name here and there on the server?

• sqlfriends (4/10/2012)

Thanks, but my question about this is not answered yet.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1280486.aspx

--Plato

• sqlfriends (4/9/2012)

rename windows server, then use sp_dropserver followed by sp_addserver.

Note you cannot rename the instance name only the servername

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks a lot

• Perry Whittle (4/10/2012)

sqlfriends (4/9/2012)

Hmm... I think we actually are able to rename the instance name. I have not done it, personally, but I will ask my co-worker as I believe this is done when we switch severs.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• SQLKnowItAll (4/10/2012)

Perry Whittle (4/10/2012)

sqlfriends (4/9/2012)

Hmm... I think we actually are able to rename the instance name. I have not done it, personally, but I will ask my co-worker as I believe this is done when we switch severs.

Very interested to see how that is done...all the msdn docs and interwebs say no.

--Plato

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply