SSC Forum Updates

• Another problem discovered.  There is no way that I've made 2687 posts in the last 30 days that the "Top Members (Last 30 days)" sub window on the home page says I did.
    It appears that the totals on the "Member scores and Standings page" may have have also been affected..

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thom A - Friday, January 13, 2017 11:34 AM

DamianC - Friday, January 13, 2017 8:26 AM

How do you format code now?
    I used to just use copy and paste between code markers
    Code markers work but the formatting doesn't work and it just looks awful; one long string
    Suspect I am missing something so advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Depends what's your typing. For example code="sql", code="vb", code="plain". I'm not sure there's any difference in the languages right now though.
    --This should be a comment, but is not
    /*These are comments and work
    (btw I am using non shortend words, as that causes colouring errors too)
    Here is  a simple SELECT Statement*/
    SELECT *
    FROM Table1 T
    WHERE T.DATE = CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE);

'This is some VB Code
    dim strAddress as string
    'For some reason, code thinks the above is in a quotation
    dim intZip as int

strAddress = "13 Test Road"
    strAddress = strAddress & "Big Town"
    intZip = 12345

Plain does the same as above, but that is intentional.

Thanks, code markers seem to be working as previous now

- Damian

• Jeff Moden - Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:01 PM

Code markers work but the formatting doesn't work and it just looks awful; one long string

There are a fair number of minor annoyances (most of them have been mentioned on this thread) but that one is a big one for me.

My work around is to first copy and paste into MS Word.  Then I run a macro that changes the font to Courier New, changes all spaces to hard spaces, and changes all paragraph marks to line breaks, and then automatically copies the code for me to paste to the "plain" IFCode.  Except for the annoying occasional happy face (Mr. Peabody and the "Way Back" machine is in full swing), it works well and with only minor aggravation

I've also not been able to use the color changer fonts.

Cut and paste seems to be working as previous now Jeff

- Damian

• DamianC - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:02 AM

Jeff Moden - Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:01 PM

There are a fair number of minor annoyances (most of them have been mentioned on this thread) but that one is a big one for me.

My work around is to first copy and paste into MS Word.  Then I run a macro that changes the font to Courier New, changes all spaces to hard spaces, and changes all paragraph marks to line breaks, and then automatically copies the code for me to paste to the "plain" IFCode.  Except for the annoying occasional happy face (Mr. Peabody and the "Way Back" machine is in full swing), it works well and with only minor aggravation

I've also not been able to use the color changer fonts.

Cut and paste seems to be working as previous now Jeff

Hi Damian

We rolled out a change this morning to address some of the copy + paste issues that people had, and the scrolling of messages when using the Enter Key. 

Damon

• Jeff Moden - Monday, January 16, 2017 10:23 AM

Another problem discovered.  There is no way that I've made 2687 posts in the last 30 days that the "Top Members (Last 30 days)" sub window on the home page says I did.
    It appears that the totals on the "Member scores and Standings page" may have have also been affected..

Yeah, it's not just you, Jeff.  It looks as if the whole scoring system has changed.  I've tried to figure it out, but have come up only with theories so far.  One of those is that you get a point for each post, and a point every time someone else posts to a thread you've already posted in.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:32 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, January 16, 2017 10:23 AM

Another problem discovered.  There is no way that I've made 2687 posts in the last 30 days that the "Top Members (Last 30 days)" sub window on the home page says I did.

Yeah, it's not just you, Jeff.  It looks as if the whole scoring system has changed.  I've tried to figure it out, but have come up only with theories so far.  One of those is that you get a point for each post, and a point every time someone else posts to a thread you've already posted in.

John

Don't forget that there's now the option to "Like" individual posts - that affects the score of the likee and the liker...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:46 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:32 AM

John

Don't forget that there's now the option to "Like" individual posts - that affects the score of the likee and the liker...

Your points rose from 1802 to 1804 when I liked this post.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:00 AM

ThomasRushton - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:46 AM

John

We've deployed a change that will make the SQL Code option appear inline next to the IF Code option, making it easier and quicker to select. If you can't see the change you might need to do a CTRL-F5 to force a reload of javascript and CSS. 

Damon

• DamianC - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:00 AM

I can't see to see any difference. I have Ctrl+F5'd, as I can see the latest update with SQL Code being displayed below, however, using the IF Code it gives you (code language="sql") produces plain text code, not colour formatted SQL.

--This is a comment
    /*These are comments too
    But they are multi line comments
    Here is a simple SELECT Statement*/
    SELECT *
    FROM Table1 T

The code boxes from my previous post still look like the below to me:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:57 AM

DamianC - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:00 AM

I can't see to see any difference. I have Ctrl+F5'd, as I can see the latest update with SQL Code being displayed below, however, using the IF Code it gives you (code language="sql") produces plain text code, not colour formatted SQL.

--This is a comment
    /*These are comments too
    But they are multi line comments
    Here is a simple SELECT Statement*/
    SELECT *
    FROM Table1 T

The code boxes from my previous post still look like the below to me:

Code colouring should be working now. There's an issue where text below doesn't clear the text box - a fix for that should be out later on.

• ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:00 AM

ThomasRushton - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:46 AM

John

Yeah, I've seen some weird behavior with the points as well.  An example is inactive users getting 400 points.  John' and Chris's theory seems to be right - from observation only.  It does beg the question - if I post 3 times to one topic and someone likes the topic, do 2 points or 6 points get awarded?  The puzzle makes me want to experiment.

• The points system changed slightly because we have new ways to award points based on answers and marking / liking posts. I had a list, but need a final one based on our discussions. I'll post this in announcements as a separate topic.

• The issue with text and code sometimes overlapping should be fixed now.

• I've looked back a few pages to see if anyone brought this up but didn't see it.

I miss being able to see who submitted a question. It was handy to see their name and rank next to what they were asking.

EDIT - Nevermind. I found it's a hover function now. All is well.

• Just got a reply to a 2 year old thread I'd opened. The email notification subject was "SQLServerCentral - new reply ([TopicTitle])". The thread in question is not titled TopicTitle.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply