SSC Forum Updates

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:23 AM

Just got a reply to a 2 year old thread I'd opened. The email notification subject was "SQLServerCentral - new reply ([TopicTitle])". The thread in question is not titled TopicTitle.

I got the same email, but it was to a different topic. The URL is https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1851723.aspx

• JustMarie - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:18 AM

I've looked back a few pages to see if anyone brought this up but didn't see it.

I miss being able to see who submitted a question. It was handy to see their name and rank next to what they were asking.

EDIT - Nevermind. I found it's a hover function now. All is well.

I hate a hover function for such a thing.  I might want to read a post just because of who authored it.  I don't want to have to hover on the couple of hundred posts that I check out every day.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:14 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:23 AM

Just got a reply to a 2 year old thread I'd opened. The email notification subject was "SQLServerCentral - new reply ([TopicTitle])". The thread in question is not titled TopicTitle.

I got the same email, but it was to a different topic. The URL is https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1851723.aspx

I've gotten several like that, as well.  The latest one came for "Todays Random Word" mega-post.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Am I the only one getting errors trying to reply to a thread?

View details gives:

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Stuart Davies - Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:47 AM

Am I the only one getting errors trying to reply to a thread?

View details gives:

Hi Stuart, 

Try a Control refresh, there will be some cached javascript and CSS in your browser.

Regards

Damon

• Stuart Davies - Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:47 AM

Am I the only one getting errors trying to reply to a thread?

View details gives:

Let's find out.  Testing...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• It seems to have cleared.  I say that because I did see the 500 error last night but it still let me post. 

@Damon,

By "Control refresh", do you mean hold down the CTRL key and press the f5 key in this case?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:12 AM

It seems to have cleared.  I say that because I did see the 500 error last night but it still let me post. 

@Damon,

By "Control refresh", do you mean hold down the CTRL key and press the f5 key in this case?

Hi Jeff, 

Yes sorry, CTRL-F5.

Damon

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:14 PM

Okay, this is odd. I got the TopicTitle email for the Random Word thread in between Random Word notifications with the proper subject. Not sure why that would throw a TopicTitle when it was throwing the proper subject.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Is it just me, or is anyone else getting like an inch & 1/2 of white space, when quoting other threads, between the last quote and where the cursor is for the start of our comments?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:23 AM

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting like an inch & 1/2 of white space, when quoting other threads, between the last quote and where the cursor is for the start of our comments?

|
    |
    |
    |

Yes, Yes I am (Pipes to show just how much). I've also had the [TopicTitle] email as well, the latest was for the Five Useful SQL Server Management Practices Article Thread.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:23 AM

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting like an inch & 1/2 of white space, when quoting other threads, between the last quote and where the cursor is for the start of our comments?

Nope.  Not just you.  I get that, as well.  4 Blank lines between here and there.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:21 AM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:14 PM

Okay, this is odd. I got the TopicTitle email for the Random Word thread in between Random Word notifications with the proper subject. Not sure why that would throw a TopicTitle when it was throwing the proper subject.

I received the exact same thing this morning for the Random Word thread.

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:37 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:23 AM

Nope.  Not just you.  I get that, as well.  4 Blank lines between here and there.

Yes, I see the same thing, but it isn't consistent for all threads.  On some threads, I hit backspace twice, 3 times on others and it isn't necessary on some.  I haven't figured out a pattern yet.

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:56 PM

JustMarie - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:18 AM

I've looked back a few pages to see if anyone brought this up but didn't see it.

I miss being able to see who submitted a question. It was handy to see their name and rank next to what they were asking.

EDIT - Nevermind. I found it's a hover function now. All is well.

I hate a hover function for such a thing.  I might want to read a post just because of who authored it.  I don't want to have to hover on the couple of hundred posts that I check out every day.

+1000000. Who wrote it is even more important than which forum it's in.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply